Home | Reviews | Hub | Hope

Hope Radial Front hub Hub

Weight : 124g

The Hope Radial Front Hub is specifically designed to be laced radially, allowing for a lighter wheel. The flange design, along with the slotted spoke holes, allow the extra strain of radial lacing to be evenly distributed throughout the hubs' flanges. Radial lacing with other hubs can result in ripped flanges. If you read the fine print, radial lacing also voids the warranty too. Not us.The baby's have a lifetime warranty. The hubs' design screams " radial lace me and race me!!"

Submitted by Barry a Weekend Warrior from Bellevue, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2002

Strengths:    Solid construction, wide flanges certified for radial lacing, verrrrrryyy smooth and low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    Hard to get the seals out to inspect / grease the bearings

Bottom Line:
This is one of the few hubs actually intended for radial lacing - if you read the fine print on most Shimano or other hubs, you'll find that radial lacing voids the warranty. This hub has extra material between the spoke holes and the edge of the hub flange specifically to support the stresses of radial lacing.

I've ridden this hub over 3,000 fast road miles on a 20 inch wheel, and the thing turns as quiet and smoothly as the day it was new. I have not had to lube it...but for the most part, I don't ride in mud or real wet weather -- just on days when I'm halfway into a century and it starts to rain.

I tried to inspect the bearings, but you REALLY have to want to take those seals off to do this. The instructions provided with the unit are poorly written, but Hope responds quickly to support calls/emails. Given that they're still very quiet and very smooth, I decided to just leave it alone (ain't broke - don't fix it)

I also have a Hope rear / freewheel hub which is awesome and easier to work on.

I recommend Hope hubs - they are beautifully made, the bearings used are first class, the seals really keep out the crap, and overall, they are competitive in weight.

Purchased At:   Hope Online sales