Home | Reviews | Hub | Hope

Hope Pro ll Rear Hub

4.2/5 (49 Reviews)
Weight : 295 grams MSRP : $265.99

Hope's lightweight Pro II rear disc hub represents the next evolution in hub design with performance and durability capable of handling your aggressive style.

Submitted by EddyKilowatt a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2014

Strengths:    Decent value, easy to service. Not much to say about a hub, I'm not too fussed about the POEs.

Weaknesses:    Alloy freehub body distorted and got chewed up by the ratchet ring in about 18 months... and I'm no clyde or singlespeeder, just an XC geezer. Symptom was ever-more syncopated clicking from the freehub... it never slipped or stranded me. I mailed pics to Hope and they promptly sent the steel equivalent part, which has been fine for two years now. Guess it might be a bit of specsmanship on their part since the alloy part is ounces lighter (it's a fair-sized chunk of metal) and probably doesn't fail for many customers.

Bottom Line:
B+++, would buy again though.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Ord National Monument

Duration Product Used:   5 years

Bike Setup:   29er hardtail. XC riding and some racing; no jumps, but I do ride fast over ruts and bumps.

Submitted by TeamGomez

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2013

Strengths:    a quality hub at a *reasonable* price. Beautiful machine work.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I've read tons of reviews that knock these hubs for their noisy freewheel as though it is insanely loud.

It isn't.

It is on par with the majority of road hubs as far as 'noisy' and nowhere near the eardrum splitting cacophony I expected to hear. The sound is just what I hoped for: enough to let folks down-trail know I'm comin'!

They simply look just beachin', too. Nothing wrong with that!

Submitted by max_lombardy

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2013

Strengths:    Nice quality
Easy to convert axle format
Easily serviceable with basic skills and tools
Good color choice
Loud (if that's your thing)

Weaknesses:    Not the nicest out there
Engagement could be better
Loud (if that's not your thing)

Bottom Line:
I've ridden a lot of hubs over the years, some good, others not so much. For quality, my top choice is King. Although at first I was really into the loud hubs, I loved the CK buzz... I have come to appreciate a more stealth hub sound. Minor gripe really, and a personal choice. These are on par with others like DT Swiss and Shimano, but not quite to the level of the likes of Hadley, King or i9. They also cost a lot less. Bottom line, it's a solid hub that looks good and is reasonably priced. Tics almost all of the boxes for me. I've had 2 sets of these, the Pro IIs and Pro II evos. Good stuff.

Submitted by mdcrisp

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2012

Strengths:    You can't beat the quality, great seals and bearings, and ease of service of the hub. Furthermore the strength of the pawl and drive mechanism is awesome. (Has to be the largest the largest pawls on any Mtn. Hub)

Weaknesses:    Less point of contact than some other designs.

Bottom Line:
Have had the hubs now all season, and recently snapped the rear axle. Hope is sending me a new improved axle free. They were extremely helpful and nice on the phone. I rarely take the time to write reviews about products or companies, but after how friendly and nice they were about my situation and overnighting me a new axle I feel compelled to say what a great customer service experience.

Submitted by 40er a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2012

Strengths:    Best value hub out there. They roll great, convertible, good array of colors available, and great sound.

Weaknesses:    Engagement does have some slack with only 24t. I do have a SS set which is an offset 4 pawl engagement, thus making it virtually a 48t.

Bottom Line:
Hope hubs have become my hubs of choice, primarily due to its quality to price. It's egagement does need to improve to be compared in the CK category. However, in general a good value hub, and love the sound!!

Submitted by darkos

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2012

Strengths:    stiff bolt-in hub, easy to get replacement parts, strong and reliable.
Noise.

Weaknesses:    Drag on this hub is noticable and it has only 24 engagement points.
bolt-in hub is 330g (10% more than claimed weight)

Bottom Line:
Overall nice hub, but price is to high considering weaknesses.

Submitted by Lucid a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2012

Strengths:    The construction of the hubs. They are incredibly easy to service; also the hubs can be easily and quickly adapted to fit various axle sizes. Hope also has great customer support. Also, who can deny the attraction of anodized goodies in your choice of colors?

Weaknesses:    The only weakness I found over the years was remedied about 3 years ago. The old pawl springs would corrode and break after a bit; Hope is now using a different material for the springs and after 3 years I have not had one break.

Bottom Line:
I like to try my products out for a bit before giving a review. I have 3 sets of wheel with hope hubs on them. None have had any issues, I ride my bikes hard and my wheel sets take a beating. I often have to cross creeks, and I don't let wet trails deter my riding, because of these tendencies my hubs need to be bomb proof and easy to service at home. The Hope Pro II hubs fulfill both of these requirements.

Favorite Trail:   Raccoon Mtn.

Purchased At:   Cycle South in Blue

Similar Products Used:   The only other hubs that I have ever owned were XT, they were very dependable but heavy.

Bike Setup:   Rip 9, Sir 9, Motolite ( all run Hope hubs and Stan's rims)

Submitted by SimpleJon a Weekend Warrior from Singapore / Thailand

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2011

Strengths:    Bomb proof so far (XC easy AM), Loud, Price, ease of maintenance, easily converted to different axle sizes, good coasting

Weaknesses:    Could do with more points of engagement, Cassette chews up Freehub body a bit

Bottom Line:
For the price I reckon this is the best hub you can buy. I have not had an issue with it.
The local trails usually involve 25 to 30km XC type double track through paddies and plantations then 10 to 20Km of steepish jungle single track roots, rocks etc which the hubs have handled fine.
They are easy to strip down and inspect / clean. Easy to get replacement parts at a reasonable price.
I would say the engagement is not as quick as some (DT 240's, CKs) but solid when it does engage and the Al freehub body gets chewed up by the cassette, but can easily be replaced.
I wouldn't use it (or any other pawl design hub for that matter) for aggressive DH / DJ but for the price you can't go wrong

Purchased At:   Hand built Wheelset

Similar Products Used:   Chris Kings, DT 240's, Shimano

Bike Setup:   2010 Epic Expert - custom build

Submitted by Inuitbiker a Weekend Warrior from earth

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2011

Strengths:    Smooth rolling
Easy to convert axle sizes
Loud

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Good buy. Spins great out of the box. No more drag issues. Great engagements from trackstand stops or sudden accelerations. Lite. Lets people in front of you that know that they should keep pedaling.

Tons better than my DT Swiss (piece of junk that keeps breaking pawls every few months and skips)

Favorite Trail:   dirt ones

Purchased At:   Universalcycles

Bike Setup:   the one with 2 wheels and with a bunch of parts

Submitted by alexkraemer a Weekend Warrior from SLC, UT

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2011

Strengths:    Great engagement (48 pts)
Bolt-on
Mini-cassette can accomodate 8 10s cogs for 1x8 setup

Weaknesses:    None really

Bottom Line:
**This review is for the SS/Trials version.** Best SS hub for the money. Steel cassette body wide enough to accomodate 8 cogs (10s), great engagement (48pts), and solid bolting mechanism. For $220 retail, there is no lighter hub with more engagement. For comparison:

CK/I9/etc - More expensive and heavier (72/108 pt not noticable over 48)
DT 240 - More expensive, less engagement, AL freehub (but lighter)
Am Classic - More expensive, lighter, but less engagement (AL freehub)
Freewheel style - Cheaper but heavier and engagement limited unless you spring for a $90 WI freewheel.

Super versatile hub, engineered the right way with steel in the right places (i.e. freehub). Highly recommend to anyone building up ANY rear wheel, 1x6/7/8 or SS.

Favorite Trail:   Mesa Verde, CO

Purchased At:   Wiggle

Similar Products Used:   Random shimano junk

Bike Setup:   Big Mama 1x8, machined cassette (13-36) with 30T chainring

Submitted by Jonnyp616 a Downhiller from Blackburn

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2011

Strengths:    Strong, easy to service, loud, colours, weight, price

Weaknesses:    I've had a pro II on the front and rear for over a year with no issues but i changed my wheelset when i got a new bike as i my old wheels didnt match at all. I got pro II's again because i loved my last set and after a month or so the springs and prawls went and they all had to b replaced..... NOT IMPRESSED WITH THIS.....

Bottom Line:
Good hubs over all but i do think that there is a few hubs that are messed up as some last for years and others seem to go after a short period. The noise is cool at first but starts to get on my nerves now iv had them for so long.

Get a good set an you'll love them.
Get a dodgy set and your going to have to take out a loan to keep them running.

Favorite Trail:   Billinge

Shimano 9speed cassette
Shimano deore derailier

Submitted by lebikerboy a Weekend Warrior from North Vancouver

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2010

Strengths:    Appearance, functionality, durability and serviceability.

Weaknesses:    Some would say it's too loud. I wouldn't...

Bottom Line:
Great hub and if it lasts as long as Hope hubs I've had in the past I'll be satisfied. Too bad I can't get a titanium hub that I had on a former Hope hub I owned...

Similar Products Used:   DT Hugi, Shimano, Chris King, and Sun Ringle
which is what is being replaced as I can't
source the parts easily/inexpensively.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Tazmon.

Submitted by BeerBikeBerm a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2010

Strengths:    Strong, no bearing play, a pretty component, simple to service (I can re-grease the pawls and get it all back together in about 15 minutes or less). Good strength to weight ratio, although at the long-term compromise of an aluminum free-hub.

Weaknesses:    NOT an efficient coaster. There is a sensation of every pawl pushing back while coasting.

There is def. some sort of looseness in the freehub that developed after years of use, but that aluminum freehub should be replaced anyways. It gouges easily, and is scary light. I've heard there is a steel version of it...that would be a smart upgrade.

Pawl springs broke after a year of use (back in 2007), BUT customer service out of Texas sent me new springs and pawls. Nothing else happened following 2 years of hard use.

Bottom Line:
Noise. I go between liking it and hating it. It alerts trail users of my approach, reminds me to keep pedaling, and feels bad-ass like those Harley riding fruits downtown. BUT I often feel a dolt for disturbing nature and the pristine silence of the backcountry. Conclusion? If the hub ever actually bites the dust, it will be my last Pro II only because of the noise (hey, I am maturing after all!)

Value? 4! Forget about the "paltry" 24 engagement points. Aside from one spring-breaking hiccup, it is reliable, easily serviced, well-supported by Hope, and hundreds less than some other quality hubs. Still quite a bit more than hubs which start with "S" and end with "himano".

Overall? 3. It always works, but it is inefficient, loud, and feels worn in like a 1990's Ford after 3 years.

Favorite Trail:   Earls Trails, Amherst, MA