Home | Reviews | Hub | Hope

Hope Bulb Hub Hub

4.3/5 (37 Reviews)
Weight : 170 grams

The Bulb Hubs are Hope Technology's answer to the battle between weight and strength. These hubs can be used for DH or dual slalom, but are also light enough for cross country. They can easily be changed from 20mm through-axle to QR in minutes. At only 170 measly grams, this hub is perfect for the finicky cyclist.

Submitted by Ti a Cross Country Rider from Boulder County CO

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2007

Strengths:    36 point engagement. Fit and Finish is perfect.

Weaknesses:    So far so good.

Bottom Line:
Good hub. I would buy an NOS one if available.

Favorite Trail:   corona

Purchased At:   Monk a Moo

Similar Products Used:   TNT, Shim XT, Phil Wood

Bike Setup:   Azonic DS1 hardtail. Pitbike. Azonic frame small. Atomlab trailpimp 26 inch front, 24 inch rear. Hope Big 'Un front hub, Hope Bulb rear hub. Hope mono mini brake 140 mm disk F/R. Intense Zero tires 26"F/24"R. Ringle headset, ATC Z-6 Dual crown fork at 4 inch travel. Redline BMX handlebars. 9 spd shim XT,Azonic crank 32T chainring with bashguard.

Submitted by PJM a Cross Country Rider from Park City UT

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2007

Strengths:    Looked good, and seemed a bit less pricey than hubs that cost as much as entire bikes!!!!!!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    It kept breaking. Probably not meant for the harder-core rider who rides alot of miles, climbs alot, or who may be LARGER....

Bottom Line:
This hub I have reviewed below through the last 3 yrs. Check em out. I broke TWO of these rear hubs. The first
within the 1st yr of riding, and this second one went out last month after 1.5 more yrs. I do carry 215lbs but almost never leave the ground.
The ratchet ring teeth were the culprit BOTH times.
Seems that in certain situations, (panic jamming on the pedals in weird trail transitions) one of the pawls catch just right on one of the teeth, and busts it off. Then the piece of tooth that busted off starts grinding all
the other teeth down within minutes of pedaling, permanently wrecking the rest of the hub.
Even if you notice it,and field-service the ratchet to remove it, you are still doomed...Believe me, I have done it. Unless you ride just a little bit, not really recommended. Lo siento mucho...

Purchased At:   mailorder

Similar Products Used:   Just about every hub I ride I seems to fail. (except Bullseys, or shim.xtr's) Have not ridden Kings because of the affordability.

Bike Setup:   Kona Dawg frame built into an xc-oriented bike with a light build.

Submitted by Les Takacs from Anchorage, AK, USA

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2007

Strengths:    Indestructible. Sexy.

Bottom Line:
These things simply won't stop spinning. They've ridden through everything and I've neglect to follow the factory recommended service at the appropriate times. It doesn't matter - they're as smooth as they were on day one.

Submitted by Ivan from CO

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2007

Bottom Line:
I've had a bulb front hub in use for over a year now. The hub continues to be issue free. I must admit I don't do anything to the hub (no grease no adjustments, etc). I believe I paid a little bit more than for a shimano, but less than the super high end (CK, Hadley) hubs. But I may have gotten it for sale. Bottom line is no issues on the front end. I may try a rear pro2 someday based on this hub's non issue.

Submitted by Adam a Cross Country Rider from Albuquerque, NM, USA

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2006

Strengths:    36 point engagement, easy maintainance, Ti freehub body, convertible from QR to 20mm

Weaknesses:    A bit expensive, although not King expensive.

IT BROKE!

Bottom Line:
I paid a little extra money and sacrificed some weight to get the Bulb because it was supposed to be 'Bomb Proof', and for the 36 point engagement. It worked flawlessly for 11 months, and then it started having trouble freewheeling. A week later it wouldn't freewheel at all. It turns out a tooth broke off of the ratchet ring, and this problem is not fixable, so I need to build a new wheel. The customer service at Hope is excellent, and they are sending me a new Pro II hub for a replacement (although I want more than 24 point engagement, so I may sell it). That service greatly increases the value rating in my book, so I'll give them 4 chilis there. However, I'd rather not NEED to deal with their customer service, and not have to deal with the downtime and expense of needing to build a new wheel around the replacement hub. This is advertised as a stout hub suitable for tandems and freeriders, and has had many years of production to sort out issues. I'm a 175 pound XC/Trail rider who never does drops over 1 or 2 feet, so this should've lasted me for years. Therefore, overall I'll give it 2 chilis.

Favorite Trail:   Souixon

Purchased At:   www.oddsandendos.com

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX, DT Swiss Onyx

Bike Setup:   Blur classic. - all around trail and XC riding.

Submitted by Ken a Cross Country Rider from Bath, PA

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2006

Strengths:    Cost

Weaknesses:    Freehub

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to an older post. I broke the freehub mech. twice. Hope fixed it both times for free, but I had to remove the hub from my wheel and send it to California. I sold the hub to my much lighter brother who loves the hub. I bought a King HD a year ago and have had not one problem with the hub at all.

My last review of this I gave 5 flames, so to make it average right I will give it ones this time.

I think the hub is decent, but not if you break freehubs.

Ken.

Favorite Trail:   Single Track

Purchased At:   Cyclemania

Similar Products Used:   Shimano hubs - I wouldn't say my latest King is similar

Bike Setup:   Stuff that finally doesn't break under my Clyde @ss

Submitted by michael from Cairns Oz.

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2006

Strengths:    .

Weaknesses:    Fails.

Bottom Line:
Just plain dropped it's guts at about 40km and ZERO WARRANTY.

Similar Products Used:   many

Bike Setup:   Orange, King, Diabolus, 66,$$$

Submitted by pete a Cross Country Rider from walnut creek, ca

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2006

Strengths:    super smooth, super strong and great color.

Weaknesses:    none!

Bottom Line:
Greats hub's and they're so smooth. Thank you Hope!

Favorite Trail:   wall point

Purchased At:   jensonusa

Similar Products Used:   wtb laser v dh....................sucks ass!!

Bike Setup:   Weyless 67 with spv 4way coil shock, pike race, hope front and rear with singletrack rims, thomson front and rear, michelin all mtn ex tires, avid 8" mech discs, wtb saddle, sram drive train (x9) and other kit.

Submitted by PJM a Cross Country Rider from Park City,UT

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2005

Strengths:    Great disc hub at a reasonable price. Strong, taller
hub flanges for wheel-builder-types. Easy to maintain.

Weaknesses:    Some early ratchet ring failures...

Bottom Line:
This is my final posting on the Hope Bulb Ti rear
cassette DISC hub which I reviewed twice below.
I will say some of the hate-reviews below are
unfair and reactive at best. The 1st time around,
I destroyed the ratchet ring within 5-7 hundred miles
of riding. AGAIN, this was due to a bad batch of
ratchets in a FEW hubs. HOPE quickly explained why
my 1st hub failed, (see below explanation) and sent
be a brand new one. My take on the 1st failure is as follows:
If the axle ends do not pull off easily, allowing
you to service and lube, the hub is suspect of having a bad ratchet ring. I thank HOPE for being honest about
this, and were very helpful in getting me back on the trail. The new replaced hub worked flawlessly after
2+K of hard, rough singletrack riding under my big 210lb ass. Anyone who is an avid rider needs to ignore the
hate-mail reviews and LISTEN TO ME....
This is a great disc hub at a great price-period. It is
not the lightest, but if 3 more ounces of NON-ROTATING weight bugs you, that's just fine. Since you are so
smart, then go ahead and pay another $200 bucks for
some other over-hyped-out product. (re:King/Hugi)
PJM

Purchased At:   jenson

Similar Products Used:   everything

Bike Setup:   Kona Bear

Submitted by Rick a Weekend Warrior from North Vancouver

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2005

Strengths:    Engagement points, looks, ease of maintenance.

Bottom Line:
A great hub that works as advertised. As a previous reviewer mentioned I too have broken a Chris King rear hub
but, not the Hope.

Similar Products Used:   DT, Hugi, Shimano (XTR/XT), Syncros, Ringle etc.

Bike Setup:   Heckler, Hope hubs, XTR/XT, Sherman Firefly, etc.

Submitted by Ivan from C-Springs

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2005

Strengths:    36 hole for durability, light weight compared to XC hubs (let alone FR hubs), and that EASY conversion.

Weaknesses:    none, yet. But I haven't tried to perform any maintenance yet.

Bottom Line:
Front Hub only revieW:
I bought this hub for my 29er thinking if I didn't like the big wheels I could get a burly hoop and put the wheel on my FR bike. Haven't done that yet but man is it a smooth roller. Lightweight. Relatively cheap for such durability and of course versatility.

Favorite Trail:   RRR

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   Big S' Hubs

Submitted by Ed from Texas

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2005

Strengths:    Engagement is good enough. Light. Nice sound.

Bottom Line:
The sound seems to fit well with the e13 chain device and the twist grips.

Who should buy this hub? People who want decent engagement at a fair price and build their own wheels.

Who should not buy this hub? a)People that would not appreciate the light weight, strength and engagement can be served by a less expensive hub. b)XC pedalers who don't care about engagement should go with a low drag XTR or Cane Creek Wheelset. c)People who need better engagement for whatever reason.

For Technical XC and Freeride this is a good choice. Anyone who uses a chian device?