Hadley Racing XC Rear Hub Hub

4.88/5 (24 Reviews)

-cartridge bearings

Submitted by JustinKreger a Racer

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2013

Strengths:    Smooth, quick engagement. Strong and usable on a variety of terrains. I use them for fast XC trails, long 12 hour endurance races, and some tough and unforgiving trails. Beautiful sound.

Weaknesses:    what weaknesses?

Bottom Line:
It is a great hub for all kinds of riding, light enough for XC and durable enough for trail riding. The 72 pt engagement is both quick and light with out being obnoxious. I have used them for 1 full season after my dad used them on his singlespeed for thousands of miles (4-5 seasons) and i just recently had to rebuild it because of loose bearings. Very durable.

Favorite Trail:   Boyne Mountain

Duration Product Used:   1 season

Purchased At:   Father

Bike Setup:   Superfly AL Elite- Crest wheels with Hadley hubs

Submitted by Dan GSR a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2012

Strengths:    Great 72 point engagement. very smooth. quiet. thru bolt design is fantastic. cheaper than chris king

Bottom Line:
Got this in 135mm x 10mm thru bolt in gold anodized. Hub looks killer.
I have these laced to a stans flow 29er rim and can say the wheel is a lot faster than my stock wheels
anyone looking for a top of the line hub, but don't want to pay chris king or i9 prices, look no further

Purchased At:   http://ghisallowheel

Similar Products Used:   Shimano M525 hubs on Bontrager rims

Bike Setup:   2011 gary fisher xcaliber

Submitted by dgw7000 a Cross Country Rider from Wilmington, DE

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2012

Strengths:    Hadley, the way they do business is second to none!! I have a project 321 front blue hub for my 2011 Cannondale Flash 2 Alloy. After all my research I desided to go with Hadley for the rear hub, it took one phone call to Hadley and I new I was going with them. I placed the order with Balle Racing, Eric "Great guy" to deal with very honest.
After placing the order I than had concern about the rear hub not matching the front project 321 blue hub, Hadley blue has a richer darker color. I than sent a seatpost clamp I had that matched my front hub perfect to Hadley and asked them to match that clamp color to my new hub they were getting ready to build. Sue said they would do there best, and pick a lighter blue of the batch. They did a great job and even sent the tools I need to service the hub with oil. Does Chris King do this!!!
The hub is about 100 grams over built compared to King, but this is one thing I really don't care about. I need a strong hub with Titanium cassette body, 72 points of engagement. I even requested better Japanese bearings that had sightly more drag because of the seals they use in them. This will help to keep out any water as I go though alot of steams in my riding.
The sound this hub makes other people just know it's a Hadley, I love this hub very solid, no flex and very nice looking!!!

Weaknesses:    NONE AT ALL

Bottom Line:
Just get the Hadley hub, everytime you ride you'll be smiling.

Favorite Trail:   Beaver valley, all of them!!!

Purchased At:   Balle Racing

Similar Products Used:   Hope, Shimano, and Sram. Hope is about the same price as Hadley. Hadley way better except for weight!!!

Bike Setup:   2011 Cannondale Flash 2, 29er Alloy. Stans Arch front rim with dt swiss comp spokes, project 321 hub tubeless setup. Phil wood bearings now in lefty hub, his bearings I feel are the best along with his grease!!! The lefty is the bomb, Seven Cycles Ti handle bars 700 mm wide with 21 degree sweep. Kent Ericken Ti setback post with Fizik tundra kium rail saddle. Rear rim Stans Flow with dt swiss comp spokes, HADLEY HUB. Racing Ralphs 2.4 tires tubeless the only way to go.

Submitted by Lowjack a Racer from Northern, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2010

Strengths:    Best best hub on the market, hands down.

Weaknesses:    Has no magic powers to speak of...

Bottom Line:
Think of King with a titanium free hub body and with out the drag of the King hub. This hub rolls forever while free wheeling. You can't go wrong with this hub on your next wheelset.

Favorite Trail:   Palos, Saw Kee Wee, LBL (KY)

Purchased At:   It is a secret

Similar Products Used:   King, DT Swiss, Hope, ShimaNO, Real

Bike Setup:   Moots YBB with lots of nice parts

Submitted by far raider a Cross Country Rider from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2010

Strengths:    Strengths are that I never have to think about it. It just works, quick engagement and lets others know I am behind them. It is on its seccond wheel build in 5 years and never had a problem...until now. I stupidly stripped the hex on my through axel by not seating the allen wrench properly when changing a flat. I called Hadley and the only thing better than their hub is their customer service. A real person answers the phone and said "no problem we'll get you a new axel, no charge". Whenever I need to buy a hub it will be a Hadley

Weaknesses:    Try to find one.

Bottom Line:
If you are contemplating the value of a high-end hub consider the amount of crap hubs you will go through and the aggravation and time of a new wheel build. I have never ridden a CK but it could not be better than Hadley as they are damn near perfect. Also, read my comment about their customer service again. It is top-notch.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XTs I broke 3 before I ponied up for a Hadley and have had no problems since

Bike Setup:   04 Classic Blur

Submitted by jamie copson a Cross Country Rider from !,minesota,USA

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2010

Strengths:    titanium cassete body, 72 engagement, reponsive

Weaknesses:    none so far

good

Favorite Trail:   YARD

Purchased At:   CHAINREACTON

Similar Products Used:   chris king

Bike Setup:   YET ASR5 C, HADLEY, FORMULA R1, NOR CRANK, XTR Drivetrain

Submitted by WilliamK a Weekend Warrior from Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2010

Strengths:    Simplicity of design, high strength and durability through precise machining and accurate tolerances.

Weaknesses:    You’ll give away 100 grams on some, but, this is in the centre of the rotating mass, so the penalty is negligible

Bottom Line:
I like the engagement, a very instant feel. This hub comes into its own for out of the saddle acceleration – explosive fun. It’s a benefit for technical climbing, adds to the confidence at least, stop, balance, manoeuvre and pedal forward, or pop a wheelie over that G out.

Rolls/free wheels extremely well. 4 of us guys bought hubs at the same time, the other guys went for Kings. I am constantly out rolling them – not a great test, but indicative of performance.

One experience I had was being shown and guided through new single track by a fellow rider. I didn’t know the track, but still there were 150m sections of near flat that I was freewheeling and this guy was constantly pedalling. They roll very very well. Every time I ride, there is at least one moment when the bike takes off due to the hub’s efficiency. They make me smile every ride.

My hubs got a knock 12 weeks in, check and tighten, then check and tighten again at 6 months. They are made to be easy to maintain – simple and tough, so do it. They haven’t needed any further adjustments since. If you get them, check them as you bed them in, once done, these precision hubs will go for ages.
They really make a difference to your ride, a worthwhile upgrade.

Favorite Trail:   All down single tracks

Similar Products Used:   DT, Kings, SLX

Bike Setup:   Blur Ltc, XTR drive, Hadley’s (front and rear) laced to 819s, Maxxis USTs 2.35F and 2.1R

Submitted by Marc25 a Cross Country Rider from Gatineau, Qc

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2010

Strengths:    Very strong
Durable
Extremely simple and dependable (low maintenance)
Required no special tool for disassembly and/or repair
Spin freely and fast engagement (72 engagement points option)

Weaknesses:    Weight (But the fact that Hadley put priority on streght and durability is the very reason why this hub is so good... so it's not that much of a weakness)

Bottom Line:
I had a Hadley hub on a downhill bike for year and i was extremely satisfied. So, when i decide to build the LTc i wanted something simple and reliable with a fast engagement. I thougt about CK but overall i prefer the KISS (Keep It Stupid Simple) approach of Hadley. To work on a CK hub you need a whole set of fancy and pricey tool, a 100 pages instruction booklet and a lot of care. With hadley,you can do prety much anything with a set of basic tool, you don't need instruction manual and, if you need to, you can overhaul your hub on the side of the trail.

Also, because all Hadley hub share a lot of pieces, replacement part are easy to find when you deal with DH oriented bike shop.

Titanium freewhub body is very smart, it doesnt mark and gouge like aluminum shell does and save weight over stainless steel.

Freewheel make a nice noise in both 36 and 72 engagement point version.

For me the price to quality ratio of hadley is one of the best in the whole industry.

Favorite Trail:   Sidewinder, East Burke, VT

Similar Products Used:   Mavic crossmax, American Classic, Shimano XT

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur LTc, Rock Shox Monarch shock and Revelation fork, XTR drivetrain & brakes, Hadley hubs on ZTR flow rims, Hutchinson Toro TLReady 2.2 tires.

Submitted by sk8dad a Cross Country Rider from Fremont, CA

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2010

Strengths:    bomb proof, 72 POE, ti freehub, axel options, serviceable, pawls and springs MUCH cheaper than King drive disks.

Weaknesses:    heavy, loud, hard to contact manufacturer as a consumer.

Bottom Line:
Retail is a bit pricey, but I paid $350 for a brand new hubset laced to new Rhyno Lites and DT spokes. That's not bad at all. The seller didn't like the loud freehub, you can quiet it down significantly with some King white lube.

Trials (not trails) riding on the street is very demanding on the hubs--especially the pawls. Although I'm a fairly light rider (170 lbs with gear on), I do pedal kick a lot. It's nice to have a solid engagement that's quick (72 clicks).

The bearing preload stays tight unlike my Kings. I've ridden these for about 6 months and no play at all.

They are a tad heavy, but if you are at all looking at these hubs, I gather durability is your main concern. Not a XC race hub, but it will do perfectly if you huck to flat all day long. A fellow trials rider who weighs in around 190 with gear is constantly breaking frames, blew through a King hub in a few weeks by stretching the hub body around the bearing seat. He's been riding Hadley for 3 years now with constant 5-6 foot drops to concrete and 6 foot pedal gaps. Only replaced a few pawls during regular maintenance.

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   DT swiss, King

Bike Setup:   Yeti DJ set up as a 2x9 commute/trail/street trials rig.

Submitted by freeride7 a Cross Country Rider from California

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2009

Strengths:    Quality workmanship-performance-customer service-price-easy to maintain-engagement.

Weaknesses:    The sound is quite bearable but as a matter of personal taste I would prefer total silence.

Bottom Line:
Comparing quality,performance,price and customer service;Hadley is a `best buy` PERIOD.Bought a used `108 pt`.Hadley said send it in.Got it back one week later with brand new insides(72 pt) including new titanium freehub shell and bolt up axel.The ride is very smooth,very solid and with very fast engagement that has inspired new confidence during climbing and making split second gear choices in the technical sections.Unless and until I-9 or CK can actually do better on every point-not just engagement,I simply see no sound reason to shop elsewhere.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by monkies a Cross Country Rider from san francisco, ca

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2009

Strengths:    Great engagement, cheaper than kings and easy to service! I have beaten them to hell and they run perfect...trail riding, to dirt jumping to freeride.

Weaknesses:    My rear hub comes loose after every ride (need to tighten with allen wrench no matter how tight i get it) and has so from day 1...keep meaning to call hadley and see if loctite on the threads would help.

Bottom Line:
Couldn't afford kings, but after realizing you needed special tools for kings they were out. heard about hadley's and they were way cheap for the same features so it was an easy pick. Great engagement: quick as can be so easier to get over tech stuff. I'm also pretty novice at repair, but have taken these apart to re-grease and clean with no issues (everything but replacing the bearings which are still great after 3+ years of abuse).

Would buy in a flash for my fr bike if i had the money :(

Favorite Trail:   demo

Purchased At:   universal cycles

Bike Setup:   ibis mojo

Submitted by hardmtnbiker a Cross Country Rider from Pasadena,CA

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2009

Strengths:    Very nice blue ano, Ti freehub body, Ti bolts ( This is the SS HUB) And the 72pt engagement. MADE IN USA

Weaknesses:    no website or shiney brochures but I guess thats why they are 25% lees than the others made in USA hubs

Bottom Line:
I had choosen a Hadley for my SS because CK did not have a stainless freehub for their SS hub. I have replaced freehubs on my oldest CK hub that was aluminum and I knew that a SS application called for a stronger set up. Now that I have been using them over a year and have the 9mm thru axle hub in front.BTW, Hadley was the first to start using 100X9 front hubs and 135X10 rear hubs with thru axles. That should tell you something when now the others are finally updating to a 10mm rear. The hubs are a work of art but are strong as sht. I have now coverted all my bikes to Hadley and ride harder and faster than ever. Going from QR to thru axle is part of it I'm sure. Do yourself a favor and try them and you will be hooked

Favorite Trail:   Sunset

Similar Products Used:   I had all Chris King on my other bikes and have now switched them to Hadley

Bike Setup:   Titus Eleven SS Fox F100.

Submitted by eastcoast_dh a Downhiller from plattsburgh, ny, us

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2008

Strengths:    great strength, great customer support, engagement

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I have rode this hub for more than three years now on three different bikes and it has withstood the abuse. I recently put it on my hardtail and found that it was slipping out of the dropout so I called and asked if I could get some new parts. When they found that I had a 108pt they said to send it in and they would take care of me. That is just what they did, they switched it to the newer and improved 72pt with the titanium ends on a SS hub and sent it back within a week at no charge!! I know everybody bashes them for the lack of a website and that they are hard to reach. From my experience, looking for their number is well worth the trouble for some of the industries best customer support and warranties. I will not use anything else on my bikes unless it reads Hadley on it.

Favorite Trail:   tempest