Home | Reviews | Hub | Gusset

Gusset 1-ER Single Speed Conversion Hub

3.5/5 (10 Reviews)

Gusset 1er Single Speed Conversion, 16/18t: Converts any 8-9sp HG splined cassette hub to a single speed. Includes 2) deep tooth CrMo steel 3/32" cogs, 1) 14mm spacer, 1) 19mm spacer and a lockring.

Submitted by aldous a Cross Country Rider from Brooklyn, NY

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Cheap (as in quality); flimsy stamped cog, limited chain line adjustment

Bottom Line:
I made the mistake of going for the cheapest single speed conversion option. Mistake.

First, the cog that comes with this kit is worthless junk. Second, the spacers DO NOT fit on Chris King freehubs! Even heating them prior to installation, they would not slide over the hub splines (the cog fit); this is probably due to the precision tolerances King use in manufacturing their parts. So basically the kit was useless, and I never got to try it on the dirt. But judging by the Huffy-lookin' cog I wouldn't trust it anyway.

I went with the burly Surly stainless cog and spacer set, which fit like a velvet glove.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mountain

Purchased At:   Tree Fort Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Surly cog and spacer kit

Bike Setup:   Voodoo Bokor S.S.

Submitted by djsancocho a Cross Country Rider from Brooklyn, NY

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    minimal chain line adjustment, crappy stamped steel cog, cheap steel lockring

Bottom Line:
If you want to try singlespeeding on the cheap and have an old wheel with a Shimano cassette freehub to convert, this might work for you.

Be advised that the spacers DO NOT fit Chris King freehubs, probably because C.K. uses much closer tolerances in their manufacturing. The cheapo cog fit on no problem, but even heating the spacers wasn't enough to slide them over the freehub. I would've had to pound them on - no thanks. So I never got to try this on the trail; I went with a Surly kit, which costs more but is clearly well made.

You get what you pay for.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mountain

Purchased At:   Tree Fort Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Surly cog and spacer kit

Bike Setup:   Voodoo Bokor s.s.

Submitted by Hallicraft from Wyoming

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2007

Strengths:    Simple, four pieces, well made, cheap

Weaknesses:    Two chainline adjustments

Bottom Line:
If it works, it works. The chainline is real close, nothing out of place. Got lucky, with a half link no tensioner needed. Can see why it wouldn't work in every case, but it's clean.
For $25, take a chance.

Bike Setup:   Trek 8500 frame, 32/16

Submitted by Jim Arturi a Weekend Warrior from Hazlet, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2007

Strengths:    Simple installation, Cheap

Weaknesses:    Lack of cog choices

Bottom Line:
This kit is the ultimate in ease when converting to a SS. I'm building my SS from the ground up and I went for this kit from the start. It fits perfectly on my Shimano hub and even though it only came w/ two spacers I got the perfect chainline on the first try. I dont know how it's gonna hold up over the long haul but as for the initial install it's excellent. Plus it's 20 bucks. How do you go wrong?

Favorite Trail:   Hartshorne Park

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   None, this is my first SS

Bike Setup:   Haro V4 frame, Manitou Sliver fork, Cane Creek headset, FMF cranks, Easton EA50 stem, Azonic Strip Bars, Shimano XT hubs w/ Sun Rhyno-lite rims, WTB All- terrainasaurus tires, Gusset single speed conversion kit

Submitted by Blaine a Weekend Warrior from California

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2006

Strengths:    Fits right on my shimano hub. Doesn't skip. Great for my dirt jump bike.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Great product.I wanted a hub that i could switch beetween gears and ss. Kit works great.

Favorite Trail:   local jumps

Purchased At:   jenson usa

Similar Products Used:   bmx hubs

Bike Setup:   Specialized p.1 ,dj1, single track rims

Submitted by Philip a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2006

Strengths:    The kit looks clean and well made.

Weaknesses:    It does not work on my rear hub made by SuperGo.

Bottom Line:
The spacers look strong and clean as well as the 2 clogs included. They slide on the hub with no problems... but when come to tighten the locking ring, it prevented my hub from spinning freely! =/ Not sure if the thread of the locking ring is too deep or the hub wasn't compatible. It's a wheelset by the old SuperGo.. Method XC. I'll see if Gausset has a customer support dept. to help me get this thing working.. or I'll try Renen's spacer system next.

Submitted by Jherich Silas a Cross Country Rider from The Colony, TX

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2005

Strengths:    It goes on well, it fits well, and it does it job perfectly.

Weaknesses:    I don't know if I can get it off to change the cogs

Bottom Line:
If you want to go single speed this is the way to go. If you think you want to try single speed this is the way to go. If you just like to ride this is the way to go.

My overal experience was great, I purchased it from Jenson USA, and they really take care of there customers.

Favorite Trail:   Where ever my bike takes me

Purchased At:   Jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   none other than BMX type hubs and I don't think I need to after this

Bike Setup:   KHS DJ100 with a Static Stance, 20mm thru axle fork, bb5 in the front and bb7 in the rear, DK sprocket and KHS OEM cranks. Its heavy but I like it.

Submitted by Sky a Cross Country Rider from Aiea, HI

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2005

Strengths:    Nice & Sturdy. Comes with 2 chrome cogs. Gave me a perfect chainline.

Weaknesses:    None so far..Hopefully the lockring doesnt rust.

Bottom Line:
For $19 bucks you really cant beat it, most SS cogs are $20 by themselves. If you want to try SS cheap this is the way to go.

You only need one!

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Bike Setup:   '04 Specialized Hardrock Pro Disk - SS Conversion

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Ohio

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2005

Strengths:    Clean look simplicity

Weaknesses:    Beautiful spacers Nice chrome plated cogs. Crapy steel locke ring that rust. I just used an old cassette lock ring instead.

Bottom Line:
Works great but only 2 choices in chain alignment. Next time I would get one of those kits with multiple rings and one cog that you can space anywhere on the freewheel.

Purchased At:   E Bay