Home | Reviews | Hub | GT

2.64/5 (67 Reviews)

GT CNC Hubs

Submitted by jordan a Cross Country Rider from pleasanton, ca

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2006

Strengths:    hubs look really good, mine are red...ish. rear hub is very quiet. engages quickly. strong. very light.

Weaknesses:    haven't found any yet.

Bottom Line:
i just bought the wheelset on ebay for less than $70. i threw them on my bike and rode to my favorite testing ground (a trail called tarantula). after about five hard runs, i decided the hubs were good. i was a bit nervious because of all of the negative reviews here, but i have since been on three "epic" rides and have had no problems whatsoever. i either just lucked out, or over 50 miles of riding hasn't yet made them explode. they are an older style, but i must have gotten a good set. i would race on these, despite what has been written below.

Similar Products Used:   shimano stx, lx, xt, saint, atom lab, CODA crap, dt swiss...

Bike Setup:   dream gt zaskar, marzocchi marathon sl

Submitted by Andy a Cross Country Rider from Hartford, Ct.

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2004

Strengths:    VERy light for the price. With regular maintenance, these will go for a while. Common bearing size. Nice LOUD ratcheting. "Boutique", CNC'd shells.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is this, the hubs with the 4-pawl mechanism were crap. Hadley still offers the 3-pawl upgrade for 42 bux or so.

I have these laced to Syncros l'il Snappers with DT comps 14/15 and DT alloy nipples. I'm 6'1" and about 190 with a spinning cadence mostly. I ride in Ct's rough, rooty technical terrian with short, steep, bursty climbs that require a lot of granny-gear and effort to climb while picking lines through various large-sized rocks. I usually don't shy away from drops less than 3 feet.

The engagement is quick and I've never had a problem with the freehub. After reviewing these hubs here, I called Hadley and they were very open about the issues that they had with the 4-pawl freehub. She said that I could get the 3-pawl upgrade if my hubs didn't already have it. It did out of the box, so I'm happy after about 1000 miles or so.

You can use regular bike tools (spanner wrenches, not your dad's craftsmans) and they are easy to service.

If only I could find a set of these in ISO disk, I'd be the happiest GT owner ever.

I'ma gonna give 5/5 because I think the older 4-pawl ones are giving these a bad name.

Favorite Trail:   case mountain

Purchased At:   Bens Bikes (ebay)

Similar Products Used:   Deore, XT, a bunch of others

Bike Setup:   '01 iDrive, custom wheels, MX-6 bars, mix of Deore LX/XT, Six Deluxe, egg C's, '04 firex SL, UN72, etc. etc. etc.

Submitted by bikerguy a Cross Country Rider from seattle, wa, usa

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2004

Strengths:    Looks good, does not fall apart immediately, folks at Hadley are friendly

Weaknesses:    Poor value, slow customer service, LOUD, not sure when it will fall apart.

Bottom Line:
Followup to 7/21/2003 review -- one year later.

One year of not lots of riding later it still works, but it also still clunks sometimes when I first step on the pedals and I am never quite sure if it will keep working. Took apart and there was a fair bit of gunk in the ratchet mechanism. Seen worse, but not as well sealed as I had hoped. I had an old XT setup that weighed about the same as the ``fixed' GT/Hadley, took five years of regular use and almost no service, was quiet, gave zero problems and outlasted some of the rest of the bike.

See also 7/21/2003 review for other problems with the GT/Hadley.

I think the only freehub that has given me more trouble was an old-style Hugi and it never failed in the field it just ate bearings fast.

New Hadley hubs may be better but the GT/Hadley probably is not worth it for most riders even if you get it cheap.

Phone number I have for Hadley is 909-946-6780.

Similar Products Used:   Hope, Hugi (old and new) Nossler, Phil Wood, Shimano (old LX/XT/XTR), WTB

Bike Setup:   29" wheel, drop handlebar

Submitted by bikerguy a Cross Country Rider from seattle

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2003

Strengths:    Looks good, appears to be sealed well against gunk, does not fall apart immediately, folks at Hadley are friendly.

Weaknesses:    Poor value, slow customer service.

Bottom Line:
The old hubs had a reputation for creaking then failing. Called and talked to Mr. Hadley and he said if I bought the hubs they would send me -- free -- new axle kits that would take care of the problem. They did send them, but it took THREE YEARS and when the new axle kits arrived I found out they require special tools (thin 18mm wrench) and take the hub from well under 280g to around 350g. Finally, I think there was a design defect in the original they did not fix in the new one. For the money and the weight I could have gotten something more mainstream with proven durability. Well, sometimes life gives you lemons, so make lemonade ... I built up a wheel and it occasionally clunks when you first step on the pedals after coasting; and after a year of not very serious use it is starting to creak under load. I know building good hubs is difficult, and I have had problems with other hubs I have used, but I would stay away from Hadley hubs unless there was a lot of positive feedback (there isn't as of this review) or some really compelling reason to use them (killer deal).

Favorite Trail:   skookum flats

Purchased At:   wheel world

Similar Products Used:   Hope, Hugi (old and new), Nossler, Phil Wood, Shimano (old XT/XTR), WTB

Bike Setup:   29" wheel, drop handlebar

Submitted by Brown Teeth a Cross Country Rider from Morro Bay, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2003

Strengths:    Well I have 1200 miles and have not touched them.

Weaknesses:    There are some bad reviews but I have not had any problems except getting used to the LOUD Hadley clicking

Bottom Line:
Laced with 2.0 spokes on a Mavic 521 rear, I'm 200 lbs and ride trails hard with no problems. Might be lucky here on the build but can't complain. Hub works like a charm and I just started grinding on my second cassette. Quieter would be better but hard to be unhappy for the price. Have fun

Similar Products Used:   Shimanos

Bike Setup:   FS trail bikes

Submitted by Ed a Cross Country Rider from Lakewood, Ca

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2003

Strengths:    Cheap Price

Weaknesses:    FAILED W/IN 3 MONTHS, Poor engagement

Bottom Line:
I bought this hub and had it laced to the Mavic rim. All parts were new, out of the box. The engagement mechanism (pawls) started skipping after 3 months. I brought it back to Cambria in Redondo Beach, Ca (b4 they closed up shop) and had them repair it. The manager, after about one month, finally said "Hadley" had sent them the parts to fix it. Well, after about another 9 months, smae problem. The spring that holds the mechanism together deforms enough to let the pawls disengage. Don't get this product. It's a headache!

Purchased At:   Cambria

Bike Setup:   Hub is laced to Mavic F519 w/ XTR Cassete

Submitted by Tad a Cross Country Rider from Greenville, SC, USA

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2002

Strengths:    Price, looks

Weaknesses:    Function

Bottom Line:
Internal gears or paws don't engage well. Started skipping after a few rides. Had to clean thick grease out and lub with light oil to keep working. Paws would stick in disengaged position. Tightening the wire spring helped some too. Bearings are going bad now, will not waist the money keeping this thing alive. Have a friend with same hub, his is popping as well. In reading these reviews, I am glad some folks are having a better time with their hubs.

Purchased At:   Local Shop

Similar Products Used:   TNT, LX, XT

Submitted by AARON a Weekend Warrior from AVONDALE,AZ.

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2002

Strengths:    GOOD LOOKING HUB SET.EASY TO SERVICE AND PARTS ARE STILL AVAILABLE.LOOK LIKE CHRIS KING'S FROM A DISTANCE.

Weaknesses:    FIRST DESIGN HAD PROBLEMS (MINE HAVEN'T YET) WITH FREEHUB AND BEARINGS.NOT AS WELL MADE AS CHRIS KING'S.

Bottom Line:
I'VE BEEN RIDING THESE HUBS FOR 3 YRS AND AS OF YET HAD ZERO PROBLEMS WITH THEM.THE FIRST TWO YEARS I WASN'T AWARE THERE WERE ANY FREEHUB PROBLEMS WITH THESE HUBS.WHEN I FIRST READ ALL THESE REVIEWS I WAS PARNOID THAT KNOWING THE TRUTH WOULD SURELY CAUSE MY HUBS TO FAIL.I CALLED HADLEY RACING(909-946-6780)TO SEE IF THE 3 PAWL UPDATE WAS STILL AVAILABLE.FOR $47 THEY SEND YOU A NEW 3 PAWL FREEHUB ASSY,BEARINGS,AXLE AND UPDATED TEFLON SEALS TO COMPLETE THE DEAL.I'M ORDERING SOON!! I CAN'T SEE BUYING NEW HUBS WHEN UPGRADING IS THIS CHEAP.OVERALL,VERY SATISFIED WITH THE HUBS.

Favorite Trail:   TO MANY TO LIST

Purchased At:   WHEELWORLD.COM

Similar Products Used:   XT,XTR,WTB,REAL'S

Bike Setup:   97 GT LTS-2 W/MANY MODS.MAVIC 217 SUP W/STRAIGHT GAGE SPOKES AND FIRST DESIGN(4 PAWL)HUBS.

Submitted by michele a Cross Country Rider from Villafranca (VR) ITALY

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2001

Strengths:    Good looking, lightweight, sealed and replaceable bearings, extremely simple to disassemble, and most importantly, they've been trouble free up to now.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I got these hubs because they were cheap and I liked the idea of having a spare set of wheels. Ever since they were laced mid-June '00 I've been using them and after about 1500 km. all offroad, I haven't had any problems at all. After reading the reports here I was a bit worried, but then I took the rear hub apart, noticed it was the 3-pawl type, lubed it with a silicone based very light grease and have kept riding without any inconvenience.
I'd like to receive Hadley Racing's e-mail address if anyone knows it, or their website URL, just in case I do need to get help from them.
Considering how much I paid them, I have no reason for not giving 5+5 flaming chilis to these hubs, and recommend them to anyone who can still get hold of a pair. Just make sure you take apart the rear one and clean and re-lube it before using it. In this way you get to understand how it works and eventually see if there's anything wrong before you start using it.

Favorite Trail:   Lessinia

Purchased At:   Cambria Bicycle Outfitters

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX, XT, XTR

Bike Setup:   MAVIC 517 silver rims, double butted 2.0/1.8/2.0 spokes, brass nipples. Handlaced by Princi at PRINCYCLES (you know, the ones who wrenched for Giò Bonazzi during her DH world championship winning years).

Submitted by Joe a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, Az US

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2000

Strengths:    Lightweight; Good performance for the price

Weaknesses:    Freehub assembly starts slipping after a couple of years of use.

Bottom Line:
These hubs work just fine; especially when considering the price. The problem is that after using it for 1-2 years the freehub assembly started slipping. When I called GT trying to get replacement parts, they weren't particularly helpful. However, I did find found out from them that Hadley Racing Components made their hubs for them that year. That was a fortunate turn of luck because it turns out that Hadley Racing is one of the best customer service oriented companies I have run into in the mountain bike industry. When I called them they told me that they had redesigned the freehub assembly from a 4 pawl design to a 3 pawl design to eliminate the failures that some people were having. They sent me a new updated assembly which I've been using for a year now without any sign of failure. I think that their standard hub designs that they sell under their name are probably fairly heavy duty since you see them mostly on custom tandum bikes. At any rate if you get a chance to do business with Hadley Racing you will probably come away very satisfied. They could have just said "sorry it's out of warranty" like 95% the larger manufacturers would have done but they didn't. I give 3 stars to GT for low cost hubs and 5+++++ stars to Hadley Racing for their good service and for their high quality updated design.

Bike Setup:   Ti FAT - too bad you can't buy this great bike anymore but that's another story.

Submitted by Jessy Moudry a Racer from Phoenix,AZ

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2000

Strengths:    Light, strong and they look cool.

Weaknesses:    Bad early versons make the good ones look bad.

Bottom Line:
Same old story bough hte bike because it was a good deal got into racing need to trim some fat. I got these wheels because they were light and cheap! I read all if the bad reviews but still went for it. I am very happy with my decision. These wheels have got 1500 miles on them and 7 races. The only problem I've had is the read hub just got a little loose (Two allen keys, 1min and thats fixed). If you want a great set of light wheels for less money get these.

Favorite Trail:   does it have dirt

Purchased At:   Whelworld

Similar Products Used:   Stx-rc, bontrager and suntour.

Bike Setup:   Raleigh M80 frame with everything upgraded!

Submitted by Joseph Ott a Weekend Warrior from Olympia, WA

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
I got these hubs without the binifite of being able to read the reveiw you see here. If I had it to do over again I would buy these hubs sooner than I did. If you want to put a set of wheels on and ride without a worry for a year or two don't buy these hubs! If you want to drop a lot of wheight from your rear end these are for you! To have the ease of poping a bearing out and replacing it in about five minutes with no messy grease or adjusting cones these are for you! Want a tight ratciting setup so that as soon as you pedal forward the power is their! Cool colors to chose from ,these are for you! Ya, my rear hub failed to! However, I'm a bike michanic so instead of giving up I pulled the hub apart to take a look at it. The main reson for the failures is the sping that causes the pawls to engage got week after sitting on a shelf for about a year under presure. I called Hadley Racing and got a bottle of the recomended lub and a hole new freehub, axle and seals at no charge. As long as you can do the maintenance these hubs kick ass!

Purchased At:   Cambria Outfiters

Submitted by Jim a Weekend Warrior from Summit County, CO

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2000

Strengths:    Light, cool clickin noise, easy to claen/lube, light

Weaknesses:    Supposed bearing failure

Bottom Line:
I have had my wheelset (217's w/ DT Revolution spokes) that I bought at Cambria for $200 for two years and love 'em. The bearings are so simple to remove and clean. I do this about once a month (takes 10 minutes) and have had zero problems. I'd have to pay 2-3 times as much to get anything that weighs this light.

Favorite Trail:   Colorado Trail

Similar Products Used:   Sachs Quartz, XT, LX

Bike Setup:   Proflex 857 built light and cheap (inexpensive!) with many offbrand stuff like these hubs

Submitted by Stephen a Racer from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2000

Strengths:    light
cheap
nice looking

Weaknesses:    need better bearings

Bottom Line:
I haven't had any trouble with the rear hub, but both bearings went bad in the front after less than 50 miles. (No, I never dunked them or hit them with high pressure water.) Had my local shop replace them with a better quality sealed bearing. These seem to be working well.