Home | Reviews | Hub | Formula

2.38/5 (80 Reviews)

Formula Basic Front & rear Hubs

Submitted by Rob

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2014

Strengths:    ...uh...only positive I can think of is that is had nice shiny black paint when new.

Weaknesses:    Poor quality. Lasted > 6 months before grinding started.

Bottom Line:
crap.

Submitted by me

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2014

Strengths:    Came with bike

Weaknesses:    .

Bottom Line:
These hubs feel as fast as my Dt swiss hubs without all the crazy spoke types as my Dt Swiss hubs.

Submitted by Bryan McFarland

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2013

Strengths:    Operates well for 3 months.

Weaknesses:    The freehub lasts about as long as a toothbrush.

Bottom Line:
The freehub had play in it right out of the box and it became worse with wear. Now the bearings are pretty much shot. I do a ton of technical riding in New England, so it takes a beating, but no other hub I've used had lasted such a short time.

Submitted by dan s

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2012

Strengths:    Front formual hub seem good,no complains.

Weaknesses:    Rear formula12mm maxle hub seized up twice in a 6 wks period.Bike is coming up 1 yr old.

Bottom Line:
The formula 12mm maxle rear hub in my opinion is crap.It is on a full suspension mountain bike.I have lost faith in this rear hub.Going to switch to something more reiable..

Submitted by lebikerboy a Weekend Warrior from North Van

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2011

Strengths:    20mm front hub rolls well and is sealed well too.

Weaknesses:    Could be lighter?

Bottom Line:
This review is for the front 20mm cartridge bearing hub
only. It's been so reliable I haven't built a wheel on the Hope Pro II front hub I bought when I bought the rear...

Similar Products Used:   Lots...

Submitted by Mtn-Rider a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2010

Strengths:    Nice-looking finish, look shiny

Weaknesses:    Rear freehub didn't last very long

Bottom Line:
I was really happy with these hubs after putting over 1000 miles on them in 3 months, about half of that on various trails. The bike was used so the hubs had more miles on them total. Last weekend the freehub finally blew and left me on a slow ride back to the trailhead. Upon taking the freehub appart, the teeth looked worn which caused the skipping I was getting when powering. Build quality is obviously not a strength, the metal used in the freehub seems too soft. These hubs are clearly meant for entry-level bikes for city dwellers, not for any hard riding on the trails. They were good while they lasted.

Favorite Trail:   AZ CO UT

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Other low-end hubs

Bike Setup:   07 Fuji Outland, mostly original stock parts

Submitted by jm a Weekend Warrior from French riviera, France

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2010

Strengths:    none I can see.

Weaknesses:    Brand new and 1 mm play !

Bottom Line:
rear DC38 formula hub on giant reign 2 2010...

The specs are good.... BUT

The freewheel has 1mm play after 5 1 hour sessions !

I tried to dismantle the crap. The freewheel must be rebolt exactly in the cranks it was before else you get a wobly distorded hub and freewhel. The meaning of this uis that the surfaces odf the hub and freewheels are NOT exctely parallel. => POOR machining.

1 mm play from factory => poor QC.

BOTTOM line : I have hubs on crap bikes that have less play after years riding.

Avoid at any cost. Avoid bikes that come with them, or be prepared to change/rewire rear wheel.

Similar Products Used:   Xt hubs, low price hubs, all better than this !

Bike Setup:   Giant reign 2

Submitted by RURC a Weekend Warrior from St. Petersburg, Florida

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2010

Strengths:    I have been rolling on them for more than 3 years. I really think it has been about 6 or 7. Not ONE SINGLE PROBLEM. Came on the Veluta disc rims I bought new off ebay

Weaknesses:    Not the sexiest hub on the planet.

Bottom Line:
They just have worked with no errors for many many years. With over 900 miles on them the rear bearings in the cassette just started to make a slight noise 2 days ago. Not any complaints at all.

Favorite Trail:   anything that comes by

Similar Products Used:   DT Swiss, Profile, Idn 9, and Joy Tec (junk)

Bike Setup:   Fisher sugar 3 with Avid disc brakes 220 mm rotor in front (Formula) 200 mm rotor rear (Formula)

Submitted by ATBScott a Cross Country Rider from Castro Valley, CA USA

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2009

Strengths:    Roll, trouble-free, absolutely quiet freehub

Weaknesses:    Probably not that lightweight, not too many engagement points in freehub

Bottom Line:
I can't believe the hate for these hubs. Mine have been faultless for 3 years of riding now. I compare the silence of the freehub mechanism to the other "high end" hubs I have been shopping as I want to build some nice wheels. The quiet is part of my attraction to SS. I weighed around 200+ lbs when I bought this bike, and now about 180 or so. There was another 35 lbs worth of stuff on the axles when I did the Telluride - Moab Hut trip 2 years ago. I ride everything I can on this, and even in muddy, crappy conditions, dry and dusty, there has been no issue with these hubs. On the SS version, nice widely-spaced flanges too. From Northern CA rides at Annadel, Boggs, Henry Coe, etc... to a few 3-day sessions in Arizona's Rocks and sand, rides in Fruita, Moab and around SLC and Park City area, I wish all my components were as "ride and forget" as these hubs have been. I'll trade fancy 30-point-engagement for these 12-point hubs if they stay as quiet and invisible as they've been. I may even build some nicer rims onto these hubs! 4 Chili's on overall only because of the weight and engagement not being the best.

Favorite Trail:   Can I only have one?

Purchased At:   OEM

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, DT Swiss, Mavic, CK

Bike Setup:   Raleigh XXIX Single Speed

Submitted by snafu5962 a Racer from seven valleys, pa

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2009

Strengths:    They roll and are kind of loud.

Weaknesses:    Unsealed, flex way too much, freehub in the rear hub is garbage

Bottom Line:
They came on the bike so I have been using them until I have enough money to build a wheel set. I don't know if the freehub will make it till I can afford new wheels. Every now and then it skips. I wouldn't buy them aftermarket.

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, Sun Ringle

Bike Setup:   Giant STP SS

Submitted by 2wheelsguy a Cross Country Rider from Cincinnati, Oh, USA

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2009

Strengths:    They work. The front holds up decently, feels heavy and somewhat smoothely rolls.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, weak engagement, rear is junk.

Bottom Line:
Would be ok for riding on pavement or VERY light trails. They just need alot of attention and are not even meant for the intro cross country. Dont buy if you ride good trails.

Favorite Trail:   Cesars Creek

Purchased At:   OEM

Similar Products Used:   Mavic crossmax, DT 240, Chris king.

Bike Setup:   Marin Bobcat trail. Single speed. RS Recon. FSA pig.Surly Singleator. Mavic Crossmax.

Submitted by Daniel Stumpf a Weekend Warrior from PA

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2008

Strengths:    Front hub seems to be holding up.

Bottom Line:
I bought a set of newly built Velocity wheels from a real nice guy on Ebay. The rear is a "big guy" 40 spoker with a Velocity/Formula hub. Built the bike fall of 2007 rear freewheel just crapped out April 2008......I think its "typical" junk spring retaining freehub pawls, but I'm not sure. Tore it apart, cleaned it, regreased it, nothing seems to be visually broken or worn but it's still doing the skippy thing under light load. I'm gonna chuck it and have the wheel rebuilt with a 40 hole Shimano tandem hub (is they make 'em). Hopefully it'll handle a bit more punishment. If you're building a wheel go for the Shimano Hub...

Purchased At:   A Velocity 29er Wheelset From Ebay