Home | Reviews | Hub | DT Swiss

DT Swiss Hugi FR Hub

3.73/5 (15 Reviews)
Weight : 190 grams MSRP : $182.00

The DT Swiss Hugi FR hub is a great choice for the freeride and downhill enthusiast and racer that wants a bombproof hub backed by 10 years of proven design and manufacturing. The Hugi FR hub features an oversize disc brake optimized design that spreads torque evenly across the wheel. The Hugi FR hub features proven DT Swiss technology including the proven Hugi ratchet system, high quality stainless steel components and bearings, an optimized labyrinth seal system and is maintenance friendly.

The Hugi FR hub is available in front hub configurations of 100mm quick release and 110mm in both 32h and 36h. The rear hub is available as 135mm quick release version as well as 150mm and 165mm 12mm thru axle versions. The Hugi FR hub is maintenance friendly and easily serviceable through the DT Swiss worldwide dealer network, and is 100% produced and hand built in Switzerland.

Submitted by Scott a Downhiller from DanVegas, Va. USA

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2007

Strengths:    Completely bombproof, Only one true in 2 years.

Weaknesses:    weight, but it's hard for me to sacrifice lightness

Bottom Line:
The best freeride hub I've ever owned. Had shop mechanic build this rear wheel for me after I had to have to stock shimano bearings packed four times within first couple of months of owning the bike. Carl built my wheel up with the DT Swiss FR hugi laced to Mavic 729. Bad to the bone. Can handle 6-8 foot flat drops, and extreme downhill in West Virginia and Western North Carolina..

Favorite Trail:   the steep one

Purchased At:   Paceline

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   2005 Kona Coiler deelux, 66, fox dhx 4.0, raceface

Submitted by Chucky from AZ

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2007

Strengths:    No problems in 3+ years!

Weaknesses:    Heavy by todays standards. No 10mm bolt-on for rear. If there was a 10mm rear, I'd not be buying a new I9.

Bottom Line:
I've beat these hubs hard for over 3 years. I learned to FR and DH on these rims, so they've suffered many bad landings, many bad lines, etc... At least 5,000 miles on these humbs! Had the rear serviced once.

If thre was a 10mm bolt-on for the rear, I'd just lace new rims to it.

Similar Products Used:   DT Onyx, XT, Funn, Real, Hope Pro II

Bike Setup:   4olb FR/ DH pounder

Submitted by Ryon Mo a Weekend Warrior from Bristol, CT USA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2006

Strengths:    Sounds cool.

Weaknesses:    Split in half after less than 100 miles

Bottom Line:
Supposed to be bombproof but I didn't abuse at all. This year, I've been injured and taking it easy. Didn't last 100 miles or a dozen rides. Broke while peddling in a parking lot.

Called DT and they appear to be willing to warranty. Good to hear because it was highly recommended and pricey.

Purchased At:   beyondbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   XT, Cannondale

Submitted by Mike from Vermont

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2006

Strengths:    SMMOOOOTH

Weaknesses:    Rear Hub Split

Bottom Line:
I really have no complaints, other than Hub splitting in two seperate spots. Just a matter of time I guess... Going to see what the warrenty people will do for me, hope to get something outa it since I paid a pretty penny for them.

Similar Products Used:   XT Stuff

Bike Setup:   '01 Enduro, F219 rims, Hayes Brakes

Submitted by dave a Downhiller from Leesburg, VA

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2006

Bottom Line:
I am writing to add an update to my last post. I called DT Swiss directly and spoke to their warranty department. I explained to them the age and the situation with the cracked / failed rear hub. DT warranted the hub and is shipping out a new one. I was told that on the older hubs, they used anodizing which can cause aluminum to become brittle. They are no longer using this process apparently.

While disappointed with the hub failure, I was very happy to have DT step up and warranty their product, keeping me as a customer in the process.

Thanks DT.

Submitted by Dave a Downhiller from Leesburg, VA

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2006

Strengths:    Lasted almost 3 years

Weaknesses:    Broke after 3 years

Bottom Line:
I've purchased 2 sets of these hubs in 3 years, they were flawless until the 3 year old rear hub split across the hub body last week. I was shocked to come here and see that 3 other people had this problem with their rear hub as well.

I have another brand new set of these rolling on my VPP Free, and I hope the hold up. They are way to expensive to be replacing.

I would not buy another set of these after paying $320.00 cost and reading about the rear hub cracking problem.

Similar Products Used:   Dee Max, Shimano XT, Marzocchi

Bike Setup:   Bulllet w/ Mavic 321's & VPP Free with 721's

Submitted by murr-dawg a Downhiller from calgary, albeta, canada

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2006

Strengths:    spins like a dream, huge size, never have to adjust, indestructible

Weaknesses:    does not make sweet sound like a Crhis King, Formula, Sun ringl'e or hadley

Bottom Line:
if you do not want to get your rep. up by having a loud hub or a coloful hub, then look no further. if you are about proformance and racing and winning races, this is the hub for you. it will keep spinning until you put the brake on.

Favorite Trail:   cop downhill

Similar Products Used:   deore, sun ringle, CK

Bike Setup:   devinci wilson 2004, X.O trigger and derailure, 2006 swinger 6-way, easton everything

Submitted by Lars a Downhiller from AZ

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2005

Strengths:    Smooth operation. Great sound. Modular - can use with either QR or 20mm TA!!!

In contrast to what others have said here, I've beaten these hubs on countless rockpounding sessions. Additionally, I tend to ride right at the edge of my ability, so I'm NOT what you'd call "easy" on the bike - I hammer always and wreck often.

Also, internal ratchet mechanism is VERY easy to rebuild when the time comes.

Weaknesses:    absolutley none yet!

Bottom Line:
Great hubs so far!

Purchased At:   laced to Mavic rims

Similar Products Used:   Many including WTB - beware WTB! The WTB Speed Disc hub boke after ONLY 8 rides! WTB would not honor their warranty and either repair / replace at all - evean after months of giving me the runn around about it!!!! The worst customer service I've ever recieved on any product I've purchased in my entire life.

Bike Setup:   6x6 38lbs

Submitted by Jasper a Weekend Warrior from Belgium

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2005

Strengths:    Does what a hub is supposed to do. Never had any problems until...

Weaknesses:    Rear hub split

Bottom Line:
Riding xc at first, I began doing more freeriding. Bikeparks and stuff. Nothing really big (used a crossmax as backup wheel and worked fine)
Had the wheelset for almost 2 years, when the rearhub splitted. This may not happen with an expensive hub meant for FR and DH. For this year, they made the hub even lighter. Beware!
www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=498218

Similar Products Used:   Shimano deore, Mavic Crossmax

Bike Setup:   SC Heckler at first, now SC Bullit

Submitted by Guy Woollett a Cross Country Rider from Herts

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2004

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    Lightweight

Bottom Line:
Extremely lightweight hubs. Front no problem. Rear hub split, which is very disappointing given the cost of these hubs and the fact that it had not had any heavy usage to speak of. I estimate that I've ridden approx 200 miles with no jumping whatsoever and I'm not particularly heavy at around 12 stone.

Purchased At:   Cyclopedia

Bike Setup:   Specialized S-Work M5, Sid SL

Submitted by steve perkins a Cross Country Rider from suwanee, ga, usa

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2004

Strengths:    Smooth action and rolls forever

Weaknesses:    Rear hub split 2 times

Bottom Line:
These are great hubs until they break. I've split 2 rear hubs in a year. No jumping just cross country riding. The first one I though may have been built wrong but the 2 was built by Hugi warranty. sigh... Front hub is great and have never had to true it.

Favorite Trail:   Chicopee Woods