Home | Reviews | Hub | DT Swiss

DT Swiss 440 Freeride Rear Hub Hub

4.67/5 (6 Reviews)
Weight : 329 grams MSRP : $284.49

The 440 freeride hub has been developed with the hard core trail rider and downhiller in mind, offering unparalleled performance on steep trails, wild stunts and big drops. The DT Swiss 440 freeride hub offers the optimal combination between stiffness, weight and security.

Submitted by vincent66 a Weekend Warrior from Perpignan, France.

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2010

Strengths:    Super reliable.

Weaknesses:    None, IMO.

Bottom Line:
They roll all the time. Even if you hit something, they roll, roll, roll, ...
Last summer I upgraded them with the RWS thrubolt ; I had to open them to replace some spacers and I was really surprised and happy to notice there was absolutely no dust or play in the bearings area !!! After 3 years in the mediterranean dust and sand !
You can forget to service them : they don't need !!!

Favorite Trail:   Força real

Bike Setup:   as-x, lyrik, dhx-air

Submitted by daisycutter a Downhiller from NYC

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2009

Strengths:    THe hub is strong as hell I have beaten on it for three years before taking it apart to regrease. The then beat it up some more. No issues at all

Weaknesses:    engagement points are only 36

Bottom Line:
I discovered a small hub crack a week ago after four years of hard use. I called up DT swiss, explained to them a bout the crack in the hub and they sent me a new hub no questions asked. I mailed them the cracked hub but I actually received the new hub before I sent the old one. You do not see service like that any more. DT stands behind their stuff. THe 440 hub is strong as hell lasting two wheel builds and endureing my wheel punishing style.

Favorite Trail:   PLattekills broken tooth

Purchased At:   Racersedge NYC 718-5

Similar Products Used:   Hadley hope

Bike Setup:   M1 fox, 40

Submitted by bikemuscle a Downhiller from los alamitos, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2008

Strengths:    strong hub and it spins forever.

Bottom Line:
This is the strongest hub out there for heavy duty use. I beat the hell out of my bike and my hubs never fail me. I put these on every bike I get. I have to have them custom made though because I dont like the DT rims. Also I have never needed to adjust these or have them serviced. Get these hubs if you want something thats going to last.

Favorite Trail:   A Line in Whistler

Purchased At:   the path

Bike Setup:   2008 V10 EX729 rims

Submitted by RandyBoy a Weekend Warrior from Mammoth

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2008

Strengths:    I'm a Clyde, needed something beefy for my single pivot Bionicon Edison. This hub has great serviceablity, ease of basic maintenance and strength where it's needed if you are going to ride all mountain and push well over the 200# mark. Simply solid, handles everything I throw at it, and still has the guts in in not flexing or failing.

Weaknesses:    Engagement points. But then, It's not priced like an I-9 or a CK hub either.

Bottom Line:
If you are big, heavy or hard on equipment and not racing XC or a weight weenie and want something top quality and durable, this is the way to go.

5 flaming chiles for quality, 4 chiles, had to drop one because these things are so damn expensive new.

Favorite Trail:   Gabrellino

Purchased At:   FleaBay

Similar Products Used:   Cerit, 340

Bike Setup:   Bioncion Edison Gen 4, SRAM drive train, 990, DT Swiss 440 Freeride, Formula K-18 w sintered pads & 200mm rotors, Gravity Dropper, Schwalbe tires.

Submitted by mgorser a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2008

Strengths:    built like a brick sh*t house, and surprisingly light. Ive only had one really epic ride on it so far, but the back end of my bike finally feels reasonably solid. (ive managed to kill a sun Dirty Flea in the past 3 months, so this is a nice change)

Weaknesses:    NO ENGAGEMENT POINTS!!! the DT only has 18 engagement points, and while they feel fantastic when you hit them (no slipping), there is simply too few.

Bottom Line:
This hub is getting put on my freeride bike next year and im getting a chris king. it just doesnt engage fast enough when youre trying to finesse through gnarly single track or climb multi-ledge tech climbs.

Favorite Trail:   3 peak (my own compilation)

Purchased At:   wouldnt you like to

Similar Products Used:   Sun Dirty Flea, Sun Daemon, Shimano XT-disc.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Chameleon, xtr, raceface deus crankset, manitou minute super svp(crap!), thompson post and stem, syncros dp28 r rim, syncros gain bar, xt-519 front wheel, intense cc2.25 tires, juicy 7/5 ft/r with straightline levers.

Submitted by Angry Sheep a Weekend Warrior from Iceland

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2006

Strengths:    Strong! Roll well and look good.

Weaknesses:    They are a little loud.

Bottom Line:
Even if they are loud, there is some quality in the heavy clicking sound that makes them trustworthy. They had been used well for half a year before me, and they look and feel new. I have the feeling that they will last for a very long time.

Favorite Trail:   the moon