Home | Reviews | Hub | DT Swiss

DT Swiss 340 Disc Rear Hub Hub

4.4/5 (10 Reviews)
Weight : 372 grams

DT-Swiss 340 IS Disc Rear 10mm Thru-axle Hub 135x32h : Understated beauty is the appeal of the DT Swiss 340 hubs. The 340 hubs are essential for reliability and Swiss quality. Forged aluminum shell with internal aluminum axle...

Submitted by darrinw2001 a Cross Country Rider from Valrico, FL

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2011

Strengths:    spins great! love the ratchet design. good weight. easy to service

Weaknesses:    freehub body is soft.. mine is pitted pretty bad after only 3 or 4 months

Bottom Line:
I built up a DT 340 on the rear of my wheelset on a Velocity Blunt 29er rim. I love the way this hub spins, and it is very easy to service. I upgraded to the 36 tooth star ratchet and love the engagement. the soft aluminum freehub body is already pitted though, and most likely is due to my clyde weight of 270 lbs. I will upgrade to a steel freehub soon... I find these very comparable to the Hope's I had before...

Favorite Trail:   Ridgeline

Purchased At:   shop

Similar Products Used:   Hope pro II's, several Shimano models

Submitted by PVR a Cross Country Rider from Vernon, B.C. Canada

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2010

Strengths:    Strength, quality of construction, smoothness

Weaknesses:    price

Bottom Line:
After my 6 mo old OEM 240sl wheelset started to break down, I got a set of 340 hubs laced on to Mavic en521 rims and haven't looked back. Although smooth from the start, the hubs seem to run even better after about 5 hours of riding. My OEM wheelset was based on a DT 370 hub (again an OEM version for Specialized) but the star ratchet system seems noticebly firmer than the pawl engagement system in the 370. It also has a nice mechanical clicking sound when freewheeling, noticeable but not intrusive like some.

The hubs seem plenty stong and the 18 point engagement is fine for me. I might consider upgrading to the newer star ratchets once the failure rates get sorted out.

Similar Products Used:   various Shimano, formula, Specialized

Bike Setup:   2010 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

Submitted by GrampBredo a Downhiller from CT, USA

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2010

Strengths:    Simple, durable, reliable, strong, performs well, easy to work on, looks and sounds cool.

Weaknesses:    I suppose some could claim that it's heavy or expensive, but I think the price is reasonable as is the weight.

Bottom Line:
I would gladly recommend this to a friend. It works well, never needs adjustment, seldom needs maintenance, and works great. the design is simple and it works. The star ratchet is great, it's simple, solid, and bombproof. Also, they now sell a 36 point upgrade ratchet for faster engagement. The shimano hubs I've used require constant adjustment and maintenance (repacking bearings and replacing freehubs) under the harsh conditions I use my Coiler in, while this hub is still going strong after over a year of abuse. It's not very fancy, nor is it very high-tech, but it's simple and it works.

Favorite Trail:   Killington

Purchased At:   AE Bike online

Similar Products Used:   Various shimano hubs, Surly single speed hubs.

Bike Setup:   2006 Kona Coiler used for Downhill.

Submitted by ts29er a Weekend Warrior from Huntington, WV, USA

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2009

Strengths:    Runs smooth and hub/freewheel seems bomb proof

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I am a clyde (240#) and put tremendous pressure on the rear hub/freewheel assembly on steep and technical climbs. I kept stripping out the Shimano hubs (5 of them-upgrading to XT didn't help). As some of my steep hike-a-bikes have become ride-a-bike, the frequency of blowing out the hub has increased (the last shimano lasted one ride). Time to shell out bucks and get something "clyde-proof". I bought a complete DT rear wheel as the price was not much different than the hub. Used less than a month, but rode the same steep climbs where the shimano's stripped out. No problem!! I have used it only a month, but I have mashed the peddles with all I have on the steepest climbs I can do (the same ones where I kept blowing out my old hubs) and no problem. Expensive, but less than shelling out $60-80 two or three times per year replacing and relacing cheap hubs. I will hold back 1 chili until I asess longevity.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano - various up to XT level

Bike Setup:   GF Cobia

Submitted by Helm a Weekend Warrior from Kodiak, alaska

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2009

Strengths:    Quickly self destructing drive side bearigs, so sweet!!?

Weaknesses:    This hub died so fast it was amazing. Drive side bearing imploded after very few miles not impressed at all. I'm still rolling cane creek wam ti after a rediculous # of years. This was chance #2 for DT hubs and they failed the test faster this time than the 1st.

Bottom Line:
These are pos hubs that just didn't cut it. Less than a month killed the bearings on a professionally maintained ride. Also forgot to mention the broken axle it suffered on second ride on national trail in phoenix that gave me my 1st oportunity to walk a long section of that trail. I know what abuse is and I did nothing that should have caused this kind of super premature failure!

Favorite Trail:   Too many

Purchased At:   Richards bikes

Similar Products Used:   Cane creek, Hugi, hope.....

Bike Setup:   Am bullit stock except for marzicchi fork and Hayes brakes, new hubs will be on soon because I have to

Submitted by redderek a Cross Country Rider from Thousand Oaks, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2009

Strengths:    Light weight, strong, bullet proof, well engineered

Weaknesses:    Have not found one yet

Bottom Line:
I have literally beat the Cr@p out of these hubs, two years and over 4000 trail miles without a single issue. I have only taken them apart and cleaned them one time and they are as smooth now as they were the day I picked up my bike. I ride 3 to 4 times a week with all kinds of weather conditions, lots of rocky, bumpy ascents with no trouble at all. Was thinking about some Chris Kings... but why? For the money these will do nicely

Favorite Trail:   Bulldog, Guadalasca, Backbone etc..etc..

Purchased At:   Cycology

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, XT, XTR, Bontrager

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur LT with all high end stuff blah blah

Submitted by skears a Racer from melbourne

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2008

Strengths:    This hub has outlasted almost all other components on the bike. Strong, light, fast engagement.

Weaknesses:    The cassette can wear into the hub a bit, but no major issue.

Bottom Line:
I race cross country short course and enduro 12 and 24 hour races on these hubs. I was going through Shimano LX rear hubs every 3 months and it was costing me a fortune getting them replaced. I bit the bullet and bought a set of DT wheels with the 340 hubs. They have been faultless for 3 years now. I have destroyed XTR and DT Onyx hubs on my other bikes over the same period, but these hubs are still running smooth. If you're looking for a super strong and light cross country hub that can take a beating, I would recommend this hub without reservation.

Favorite Trail:   You Yangs

Purchased At:   Croydon Cycleworks

Similar Products Used:   XTR, DT Onyx, Shimano LX, Dice.

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575, X0 gears, and Formula Oro breaks. Suspension is Talas RLC 140 and Fox RP23 rear shock

Submitted by PB Matrix a Cross Country Rider from Daegu South Korea

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2008

Strengths:    Exceptional quality in manufacturing and design. Can be dis-assembled and reassembled with a soft faced hammer, 5 mm allen wrench, the axel itself, and a 14mm socket. Love the ratchet drive system!

Weaknesses:    paint

Bottom Line:
Very rarely am I very impressed with a product. This is one of the few. DT did this right.

Favorite Trail:   Come over I'll show you

Purchased At:   E-Bay

Similar Products Used:   XT, Shimano Deore, Formula, Spynergy

Bike Setup:   Enduro SL

Submitted by Charlie M. a Cross Country Rider from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2007

Strengths:    Silky smooth, instant engagement.

Weaknesses:    A little expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
This hub is laced to a TK7.1 rim with DT comp spokes and aluminum nipples. It is exceptionally strong. Anyone thinking about spending more money on a Chris King hub might want to think about this hub or the 240. It has instant engagement like the King, but is nice and quiet. It is so nice to be able to ride without worrying about destroying the freewheel (the Shimano desintegrated on me). I can crack down as hard as I like, and there is never a hint of complaint from the rear hub.

Favorite Trail:   Bluff Creek Ranch (Warda)

Purchased At:   Bicycle World & Fitness