Home | Reviews | Hub | DT Swiss

DT Swiss 240s Rear Hub Hub

4.63/5 (8 Reviews)
Weight : 250 grams MSRP : $527.00

These super lightweight hubs, famous for their unique ratcheting system, use a stainless steel quad-bearing system offering superb performance and durability. Hand built in Switzerland with the precision of a fine Swiss watch.

Submitted by jimb

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2014

Strengths:    simple to work with

Bottom Line:
I'm not going to go into what a terrific hubs these are. What i want to say is forget about the dt grease.I went to the local ace hardware store and I found a tube of grease (not to thick and not to thin) It's called Super lube synthetic grease. Ive been using it for about 3 years now. It was about 5.00 for a 3oz tube. It's great! and it's a lot cheaper than what is it 20.00 for a zit sized tiny bit of "DT grease? its terrific I think it maybe a little to thin for hubs ,cranks and Bottom brackets though.

Submitted by justcallmerider a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2013

Strengths:    lightweight ,
subtle color(s) ,
dependable (with somewhat rutine maintenance) ,
quality of Swiss design and fabrication
ease of maintenance for the rachect mechanism (just pull out the sprocket, clean®rease when neccesary)
stiff 15mm axle, made from high quality aluminium alloy
strong & wheater-proof stainless steel bearing assemblies

Weaknesses:    none that I can think of

Bottom Line:
bought mine , 7 years ago at Tangerang city, the LBS is now defunct .
not very much long distance cyclist myself, but for what it worth , these 240s rear and front hub has been seen countless hours of riding in rainy seasons or dry seasons , in almost every single riding situations (mud, dry volcanic dust, singletrack , rocky trails, soft soil, sand , tarmac, gravel) .

maybe mine has been used for 4500 kilometers approx.
after 5 years of using standard 18t ratchet rings, I upgraded with the 36t .

just bougth another wheelset , but this time it's 350 series instead of 240s

Just buy them if you want long-lasting and high-quality items. But like any other bike parts, they need your TLC, every once in a while, just enough

Favorite Trail:   Mount Bromo, East of Java

Duration Product Used:   7 years

Purchased At:   PG Bike (Tangerang C

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT , XTR

Bike Setup:   Marin East Peak 2000, Manitou Black Elite Air 80mm, SLX 10-speed drivetrain, Deore hidrolic brakes, Hayes Prime Pro rotors 160mm , Answer carbon handlebar, DT Swiss rims and Competition Spokes.

Submitted by reamer41 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2013

Strengths:    Light weight. Easy to change the star ratchets

Weaknesses:    36 point ratchet stopped engaging within about 200 miles of use. First time I've been stranded by a freehub spinning.

Bottom Line:
The hub came stock on my SC Tallboy LTc. As I said above it failed very soon after I got the bike. The tops of the teeth on the star ratchet were flattened and chipped. I swapped the star ratchet for an 18 point that the LBS had available and it has worked ok ever since. My confidence in this hub is gone and I have since replaced it with a Chris King ISODisk hub.

Prior to failure I had never opened up the hub, don't use pressure washers. I can't imagine what could have caused the failure other than contamination or defective manufacture.

There is only 2 week little springs punching the ratchets together. Nt a good design in my opinion. And torque doesn't strengthen the engagement. The King hub, oth, has a helical spline which forces the ratchets together. The harder you pedal the more force holds the teeth engaged. A far better system if you ask me (and no one has.). I've been riding CK hubs since '91 an mountain bikes, road bikes and mountain tandem bikes and never once has one skipped a beat. For this DT 240s to strand me within months, well ill keep the wheel set for a spare.

Similar Products Used:   Chris King classic and ISOdisk, XT

Bike Setup:   Tallboy LTC XRTam

Submitted by wyo_biker a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2012

Strengths:    Durible, lightweight, and easy to service.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
What can I say, these are great hubs. I ordered the 36 tooth ratchets when I bought the hubs but ran them with the 18 tooth ratchets for several months until they needed serviced and to be honest, I really didn't have any engagement issues with the 18 toogh ratchets. When it was time to grease the ratches, I replaced the 18 tooth with the 36 tooth in less then a half hour with NO tools! I have been riding these hubs for an entire season and had zero issues.

I had a wheel set built using ZTR Arch Ex wheels with a 240s in the front as well, set up for center lock disks, and the entire wheelset weighs in at 1,513 grams!

I can't imagine I'll ever purchase a different model/brand of hub as I'm so satisfied with these.....

Similar Products Used:   XT

Bike Setup:   2007 Rocky Mountain Element.

Submitted by Le Duke a Racer

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2012

Strengths:    This is far and away the best piece of cycling equipment that I own. I have four DT 240s; three rear and one front. The smooth bearings, awesome longevity, light weight and ease of maintenance make this the best thing going for XC, "trail", or AM use. I have them on both my 29er HT and my 26" Anthem X FS bike. Ton of miles in OR, IL, GA, and NY. Held up to everything with just a light coating of DT's pink star ratchet grease needed to make them right as rain.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
If you want a hub that can handle AM abuse but still crush a WC-level race, this is the only product out there for you.

Favorite Trail:   Boundary Trail No. 1, WA

Duration Product Used:   3 years

Purchased At:   Bike shop, MTBR clas

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XTR

Bike Setup:   Chinese carbon frame - 16"
XX drivetrain and brakes
Enve composites wheels and handlebar
DT 240s F and R hubs with 9mm/10mm RWS

Submitted by Laser4G63 a Cross Country Rider from Jackson, MI

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight, durable, and easy to work on. Only one special tool is really required to remove the lock ring nut. Engagement is nice with the 36 tooth star ratchet. I have had zero problems with these hubs (front included). Much better that the Shimano XTR hubs I previously had. I also upgraded to the 10mm RWS thru axle. Looks boss (awesome, dope, gnarly, totally tubular, whatever) on the bike.

Weaknesses:    Other than needing the one tool, nothing. Tool can be had on the bay for cheap, BTW\.

Bottom Line:
Buy them NOW!

Favorite Trail:   All of them