Home | Reviews | Hub | DT Swiss

DT Swiss 240s Disc Rear Hub Hub

4.67/5 (9 Reviews)
Weight : 273 grams MSRP : $382.49

DT-Swiss 240s IS-Disc 135mm Rear QR Hub: Contact free flange seals with stainless steel cartridge bearings. Fully compatible with Shimano Center-Lock disc system. Spoke holes are optimally sized to accommodate...

Submitted by Ace5high a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2012

Strengths:    Weight, Durability, Design

Weaknesses:    Price? Stock Engagement.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding my Swiss 240s for several months now and Im very impressed with them. They roll very well, are light and transfer power wonderfully. So far I have not has a single issue with mine. The one thing I would like to see DT Swiss change would be to offer them standard with the 36 tooth engagement rings instead of the 18 tooth. I made the switch to the 36 tooth after the first 3 or so rides and couldn't be happier. Ive heard DT Swiss say the reason for use of the 18t stock is the added strength and durability, but so far the 36t has been flawless for me. I believe its another $40 upgrade or so so at this point they might be considered a little pricey, but the quality is top notch!

They are also very easily serviceable, the free hub it "tool-less" so it pops right off with a little tug, and very easy to clean out an re-grease. Noise level is great IMO also, they are not super loud like some other popular hubs, but talk just enough to let your buddies know your about to overtake them ;)

Great hubs, will be using these in the future.

Favorite Trail:   Santos

Purchased At:   Custom Build

Similar Products Used:   Hope Pro II, Ringle - Dirty Flea, Stans 3.30, X.9

Bike Setup:   2011 Carbon Tallboy 29er

Submitted by arban79 a Racer from santa cruz

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2009

Strengths:    simplicity, reliability, adaptable, smooth, and lightweight. You can get a hold of a human if you have questions.

Weaknesses:    you have to grease your casette or else you get a creak. engagement is not as good quick as king/hadley/I9, no bling

Bottom Line:
in my experience these hubs are bullet proof. I wish I could say the same for DT rims laced to them.

You can service the ratchet without any tools.
the end caps are interchangeable, so you can run a variety of axle clamping styles (I started w/ quick release skewers, and switched to the stiffer through-bolt setup)

Purchased At:   wheelbuilder.com

Similar Products Used:   xtr, xt, king, hadley, american classic, hope

Bike Setup:   Turner flux

Submitted by Chris a Racer from Knoxville, TN

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2008

Strengths:    light, stiff, smooth, quite

Weaknesses:    not as pretty as the kings but its a hub so im not to worried about it

Bottom Line:
Hub works great, rolls very smooth, increadibly light. They are super easy to rebuild whenever that time comes. Not much to say, the things just work like they should and i can tell the quality is there...the only downside is the 240 logo could be a little purdier but i got over that the first time i rode them.

Purchased At:   rounder wheels

Similar Products Used:   a bunch of randomness

Bike Setup:   nrs with mostly xt/ level parts

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Dallas, Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2008

Strengths:    Light and with the 9mm front axle and 10mm rear axle the overall stiffness of the wheelset is optimized.

Weaknesses:    Slightly heavier skewers (DT Swiss RWS Thru Bolt) but that is all...

Bottom Line:
The 750.00 price reflects my price for the wheelset built up by Richards Bikes or www.RBikes.com and shipping. This is my wife's bike and we could not be happier with the Stan’s ZTR Arch rims matched up with the DT Swiss hubs. Over all build quality is the best I have had yet.
Go out and get some you will not be disappointed!

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Richards Bikes or www.RBikes.com

Similar Products Used:   XT, Chris King, I-9, Bontreger

Bike Setup:   Turner-'01 O2, SRAM XO Rear derailleur, shifters and comparable chain and rear cassette, Crank Brothers Cobalt crank set, XTR front derailleur, Thompson Stem and Seat Post, WTB saddle, Ergon grips, Larson 2.35 Highroller non-UST tires, and Avid Juicy 7 160 and 160mm brakes.

Submitted by Kevin Trejo a Weekend Warrior from Lake Forest Ca USA

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2007

Strengths:    See bottomline

Weaknesses:    See bottomline

Bottom Line:
Love both bikes, everthing on them works great. Well thought out components.

I have a nasty creaking sound under full power and have narrowed it down to the rear hub by proscess of elimination. (have serviced the bb/cranks and all of the pivits.) Noise goes away when I put a different wheel on.
I have also serviced the hubs according to DT's website.
Better after serviceing the hub but still a slight creak under heavy power. Love everything about the bike and hubs but baffeled at the creak. Anyone out there know what the creak could be?? Could it be my Sram PG 990 cassette??? Somebody help please!!! baja@solosports.net

Favorite Trail:   Lion's Den Baja Ca Mexico

Bike Setup:   Santa Crus Nomad & Blur LT XO-AM

Submitted by Ettore a Racer from Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2007

Strengths:    Very simple, smooth

Weaknesses:    Price, but it's not that unreasonable when you consider it's quality.

Bottom Line:
As with the Kings, these are very simple and just do the job. All parts are easily serviceable, with nothing fancy required. The freehub works very well, and the hubs obviously spin very smooth (I suppose that's more a function of the internal bearings really).

Changing from my stocker wheelset to the DTs, with DT 14/15 spokes and a mavic 717 rim, I noticed them to be more responsive (my old wheels were reasonably poor quality however). I can't see anything failing anytime soon seeing as how they follow the tried and true KISS method of thinking.

Purchased At:   Bicycle World

Similar Products Used:   Chris King

Bike Setup:   Kona Caldera, some upgraded stuff

Submitted by JmZ a Weekend Warrior from Northern Indiana

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight, Good engagement, Spins Smooth

Weaknesses:    Price - it ain't cheap

Bottom Line:
Build a close out set of the older version from Price Point. Labeled at the time as Hayes Superlights. (They were also labeled as Magura Brand at one point.)

I've got the rear wheel built with a Bontrager Mustang Rim and 14-15 spokes. Hand-build.

They've taken a pounding under my 200 pound behind, without complaint. I'm a XC rider, so no drops, gaps, or north-shore rides on the build, but these hubs are not designed for that either. They are a little bit louder than when I first had them built but still no problems.

They build into a pretty light and durable wheelset. If I had to pay MSRP - take away at least one, maybe two chilies on the value side.

Favorite Trail:   Still looking - any suggestions?

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Various Shimano Hubs
WTB Lazer Disc Hubs

Bike Setup:   Ventana El Fuego with some goodies

Submitted by Roberto from US

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2006

Bottom Line:
I used the old 240 for years and I loved it. I switched to the new 240s and I love it too. The engagement system is fantastic, it is super simple, I don't have to adjust it... ever. I agree these are a XC hub, so maybe the 340 or 440 would be better in "all-mountain" situations, but I am convinced there is no better hub out there for me.

Bike Setup:   Intense 5.5

Submitted by B.W. a Cross Country Rider from Frisco, CO

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2006

Strengths:    light weight, fast ratchet action, DT customer support, smooth bearings

Weaknesses:    hub cracked down the middle starting from drive side

Bottom Line:
I loved this hub right up till the day it died. With the exception of XTR and DT, I've destroyed every drive rachet system that I've tried. The Dt system was by far the smoothest, strongest feeling, fastest action rear hub I've ever tried.

It had the same unfortunate death that the old hugi 240 would have. DT says that they haven't had this problem since they switched to the DT 240s design, but it had the same exact break as the old ones described in the hugi 240 reviews on this site. But I am 205# and ride hard, and they are light weight xc hubs. DT customer service was great, replaced the hub with same day turn around and bonus they gave me the 440 freeride hub, on request, as replacement. Hopefully, the 440 will work better for me: much beefier design and only 50grams heavier.
If you are looking for the ultimate light weight, high performance wheel, use these hubs. But if you are looking for more durability check out the 440 or Chris King.
I'm keeping the rating at 4 chilis because of their great customer service and great drive system.