Home | Reviews | Hub | Bullseye

Bullseye Mtb Hub Hub

4.9/5 (20 Reviews)

Bullseye Mtb Hub

Submitted by DANGER6 a Downhiller from Centennial,CO U.S.

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2010

Strengths:    Durability,Longevity,Style,Design...

Weaknesses:    None that i know of.

Bottom Line:
These hubs ROCK!

Second to none

Favorite Trail:   Dinosuar Ridge (unmarked)

Purchased At:   Bullseye Cycle Co.

Similar Products Used:   everything under the sun

Submitted by kemal1923 a Weekend Warrior from Lincoln, NE USA

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2008

Strengths:    Easy to service.

Weaknesses:    Must use anti-seize. Cartridge bearing fail too.

Bottom Line:
In 1990 I thought it was crazy to build a wheel with 32 15/16/15 spokes with alloy nipples. And built tight! Nearly two decades of bunny hopping, mud, washing the bike off in a creek, etc. Every bearing on the bike has seized at one point or another. Point being, some hard use. These wheels never go out of true! I have repacked the hub bearings at least five time and these original, made in Poland pieces are as smooth as new!

Check your other brand cartridge bearing hubs. Bullseye uses 6001 cartridges while others use 6901 or 6902. The 6001 has bigger balls.

Favorite Trail:   flat ;)

Similar Products Used:   Phil, American Classic, Mavic, White...

Bike Setup:   Kestrel MXZ.

Submitted by Nick Sharp-Rees a Weekend Warrior from Maidenhead, England

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2004

Strengths:    Profound longevity, very free-running, tough, excellent finish and Bonneville-streamliner machine-aesthetic

Weaknesses:    Bearing outer surfaces unplated, prone to rust. All alloy surfaces unanodised, subject to slight pitting corrosion

Bottom Line:
Broke almost everything I ever owned, nothing affects these hubs after 12 solid year's 365-day/year use in British weather conditions. 1 lube job so far and on first wheel rebuild (4 cross 40x10-14 spoke).

When you trash what you have now, get Bullseyes. Freewheels are still manufactured and this system outlasts anything Shimano or Campag have to offer at the top end.
I carry up to 70lb a day on the rear carrier alone and the rear hub runs like the day it was made. I cannot conceive of a better-value, totally dependable hub for anyone with any type of bike who is willing to spend $80 on the most reliable product around.

Until a cassette rear is available, if you really need cassettes, try a Phil Wood who will offer a similar wide variety and custom service at greater cost.

Purchased At:   DIrect

Similar Products Used:   Maillard, Shimano

Bike Setup:   Daily-use heavyweight tourer based on Cannondale 1000ST, Bullseye cranks and Campag Ergo Record 27-speed gearing

Submitted by Peter a Cross Country Rider from Montreal, Quebec

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2003

Strengths:    I have owned many Bullseye hubs over the last 15 years on various bikes - first my bmx then mtn bikes and communter bikes (I've even put one of my old 28h Bullseye hubs on my 6y.o's little bmx bike!). Super strong hubs - very easy to service with a few common tools, basically indestructable although I did have one failure and it was replaced without any hassle or arguement.

Weaknesses:    No I.S. disk hubs or cassette available.

Bottom Line:
Simply the best hubs for quality and value. Period.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Clark Kent, NukeProof, ATAK, Mavic, American Classic, etc etc

Bike Setup:   Too many to list over the years

Submitted by Sean Farney a Cross Country Rider from Wheaton, IL

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2002

Strengths:    Amazing reliability and performance. Replace the bearings every couple seasons for $20 and ride on. Can't say enough about the company and product.

Bottom Line:
Been riding the same Bulleye's for 13 years. The only piece of equipment to last over the course of my Ritchey SuperComp, P-21, and NiTi as a newbie, hardcore collegiate racer, and recreational cross country rider.

Buy them, regardless of level, as a long term investment

Favorite Trail:   Southern Kettles circa 1990

Purchased At:   Pro Bikes and Likes

Similar Products Used:   variety of Shimano on other bikes

Bike Setup:   Ritchey NiTi frame, Magura, RockShocks, RaceFace, etc

Submitted by PJM a Cross Country Rider from Park City, UT USA

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2002

Strengths:    These hubs are the simplest, toughest, prettiest, best
designed hubs on the PLANET!! Oversized flanges, cartridge
bearings, one-piece axle, and completely adjustable left to right!! This hub (front) is the STIFFEST hub for suspension
forks available. No kidding. I have laced at least 6 different rims onto this hubset over the years, and they are rock-solid STILL!!! I am still running the front hub on
a brand new 2002 fs ride, and it is without competition.
Easy to maintain, easy to understand, lightweight, and
truly BULLETPROOF!! I have never said this about any
other bike component on the planet, and I belive never
will except in the case of Bullseye hubs.....period

Weaknesses:    Rear hub is spin-on freewheel only. When bullseye comes up
with a cassette model, I will throw away any and all other
hubsets I may have in the lineup. Availability is sketchy.

Bottom Line:
If you can get one of these front hubs, BUY IT!! I ride
3,000 miles a year, break everything I hang on my frames,
except for this bullseye hub! How can Bullseye make such
a simple, effective, bombproof, adjustable, STIFF hub,
and not have every rider chasing down the purchase of one?
I have ridden 6+ years (maybe 8) on this hub. It has
had 7 rims built on it, 2,000+ miles per year, and it
runs so smooth you can't tell it is turning. Granted,
I put a new set of Japanese bearings in it two years ago,
but so what? This product and the performance will
never be matched. When B-Eye develops a cassette rear hub,
I will buy it no matter what it costs..no kidding.
As you can see, I cannot say enough about Bullseye. Where is the cassette version??!?!?!?!?!

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   ????

Similar Products Used:   Everything on the planet...

Bike Setup:   Kona.

Submitted by Robert Hollingsworth a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles, CA USA

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2001

Strengths:    Desired fit, desired strength, desired performance... All top rate!!!

Weaknesses:    There has been none for me.

Bottom Line:
I've ran this hub at the sugestion of a friend and it's been nothing else since. I've been to Moab, Aspen and San Fransisco with this setup and the hub just keeps spinning. Locally I have a single track to ride out of the canyons that when in the winter can have 20 to 30 stream crossings and I have not had to do ANYTHING to this hub. I've put three different rims on it as well, no problems. I have a new bike since May so I'll moth ball this bike and I bet when it comes out for some cruising that hub is going to roll!!

Favorite Trail:   Gabrailino, Red Box down to JPL

Purchased At:   Bullseye (I live near them!!)

Similar Products Used:   Old BMX large flanged hubs with cups and cones.

Bike Setup:   Mongoose KOZ cruiser frame, BMX bars from '75, Schwinn "goose neck", Nexus Seven internal geared hub (7 gears), Mavic SUP's 36 spoke, XT V-brakes w/custom welded stantions, flat pedals and Fire Pro DH 2.3 tires.

Submitted by Tim Jimenez a Weekend Warrior from Moscow, Idaho

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2001

Strengths:    smooth, durable, easy to work on, low maintanence

Weaknesses:    none really

Bottom Line:
I've had these hubs for 6 years. Everyonce in a while I take them apart to see if they're still okay, they always are. I bought them with a wheel set years ago and they are still flawless. I've bent axels on other hubs and destroyed bearing (shimano hubs don't even compare, sealed bearings are the way to go). My only regret is buying a freewheel, but sachs still makes 7 and 8 speed freewheels.
Anyone who wants flawless preformance year after year should buy these hubs.

Favorite Trail:   all of Moscow Mtn.

Purchased At:   wheel smith wheel builders

Similar Products Used:   I have trashed alot of hubs(cheap shimano, I've broke shimano bottom brakets and cranks too)(down with their monopoly)

Bike Setup:   96 Cannondale(I broke my first Cannondale frame so they sent me a new one, that is the only reason I still ride a cannondale) lots of misalanious parts.

Submitted by Keith Dilly a Weekend Warrior from Baltimore

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2001

Strengths:    Superb Quality, very smooth, easy to adjust and change the sealed bearings. Looks good too. Also have threaded spindle so you can use bolts to secure wheels...lighter & more secure.

Weaknesses:    None so far.
Should be able to get cassettes for a long time to come.

Bottom Line:
Just got these hubs after wanting some for ages. I needed a different spindle length for the rear hub so gave Bullseye a call. Absolutely top quality customer support. A new spindle is on it's way. I also learnt all bullseye hub parts (except bearings of course)are gauranteed...break it you get a new one (even if you strip the threads). So far I have only tried the front hub out, which is like silk compared to my old XT setup.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX and XT hubs

Submitted by Ben B. a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles, CA USA

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2001

Strengths:    lightweight, strong ,superfast! seperate hub flanges makes for total customization(color combinations and seperate left-right flange drillings possible)

Weaknesses:    rear hub only accepts screw-on freewheels and they are getting harder to find. gearing limited to 7 or 8 speeds on the freewheels

Bottom Line:
I still ride daily on a pair of Bullseye hubs that I purchased back in 1993! I don't ride agressively so I have never come close to maxing out these hubs. They have never been serviced also but run just as smooth as glass after all this time. By comparison, my Rolf-Hugi hubs are brand new and still cannot compete with my "old" bullseyes. I have been able to get any spoke hole drilling I desire with
no problem. The ability to custom design the color and hole
drilling is unique to bullseye and no one else offers this much customization. Bullseye hubs simply ROCK!!

Purchased At:   Bullseye Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Shimano hubs and Rolf-Hugi hubsets

Bike Setup:   Trek VRX 300 with Nollen/Girvin linkage suspension fork, Kooka XC stem, Bullseye cranks, Deore XT , custom wheelset

Submitted by Michael Eno a Racer from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2001

Strengths:    Beveled spoke holes mean fewer broken spokes. Sealed bearings can handle heavy loads on cargo bikes without the added friction inherent to cups and cones.

Weaknesses:    None really. I do wish Bullseye would make a track hub with a reverse threaded lock-ring. Bullseye suggests using lock-tite on track cogs. I'm not sure I trust this, but they said they do it all the time and the cog doesn't loosen. Even with repeated skiding.(they claim)

Bottom Line:
I think Bullseye makes the strongest hub on the market. Older Bullseye hubs should still be good as new, even after a few rims have failed. I have two older hubs and two newer rear hubs. Also, I am a bike mechanic for a messenger service in San Francisco. I never have to replace broken spokes for riders using Bullseye hubs. I know of more than 20 bike messengers in SF who use Bullseye hubs. Many of these hubs have been used daily on rough streets for more than six years.

Favorite Trail:   Downtown San Francisco

Purchased At:   Maha Yana Bike Salon, S.F. CA

Similar Products Used:   Phil Wood mtb, Phil Wood track hub,

Bike Setup:   I've used these hubs on messenger bikes equiped with full baskets and racks. I also use these hubs on my Kona Caldera mtb. I ride on slicks so these hubs really get daily abuse. Rim of choice is Sun Rhyno Lite.

Submitted by Amos Smith a Racer from Chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2000

Strengths:    Light, smooth and excedingly fast with the right bearings (that low end stuff must be avoided...japanese all the way)

Weaknesses:    If you don't ride them everyday, they may seize if moisture is present.

Bottom Line:
Really nice wheels for racers, back in the day. When they fail, they do so completely, making the ride home suck. I'll stick with ball bearings and cones thank you.

Favorite Trail:   Hi- Lite Pass

Bike Setup:   Mongoose Zero-G SX w/XT&XTR combo, Chris King Headset, Raceface Crank, Body Geometry Pro saddle, Time ATAC Carbon pedals.

Submitted by craig a Downhiller from fayetteville

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2000

Strengths:    light weight, smooth, durable

Weaknesses:    no rear cassette hubs available

Bottom Line:
great hub, cartridge bearings, super smooth, last forever, i got mine in 95 and it was a few years old then, its still going strong. well worth the money.