Home | Reviews | Hub | Azonic

Azonic Recoil Rear Hub

Recoil Rear HubThe perfect partnerToThe Recoil front hub * 36 hole rear hub convertsToThru axle /7075 aluminum hub body * 135mm hub converts from QRTo 12mm x 135mm bolt on axle * 150mm hub: 12mm x 150mm * 3 pawl design with 25 engagement points * Weight: 135mm: 430g, 150mm: 445g

Submitted by Jason

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2013

Strengths:    Inexpensive

Weaknesses:    Poor design, horrid customer service

Bottom Line:
It's been my observation that people only review products on here if they either love it or hate it. You can add me to that list.

I purchased this hub based on the reputation of the Outlaw wheelset, which is known for its durability. I've been using the hub a few times a week for about 4 months. Two weeks ago, I heard a loud pop come from the rear hub while in the middle of a steep climb. I stopped to look things over and the freehub was not racheting correctly. I spun it by hand for a couple of minutes and it seemed to be working okay. A couple hundred feet later, it happened again. I managed to finish the ride and pulled the hub apart when I got home. Two of the three pawls were broken.

I took it to my lbs to see about the warranty. They called Azonic the next day and emailed a copy of the reciept and pictures of the broken pawls. A week after that, Azonic informs them that they do not carry the necessary spare parts and that we need to contact Novatec. For those that aren't aware, Novatec is the actual manufacturer and Azonic rebrands the hub with their logo.

At this point, I sent an email explaining my frustration to all of the addresses I could find on Azonic's website (there isn't one specifically for customer service). It got forwarded to an account manager and he seemed to have a helpful attitude. I made sure the lbs had his information and they called and left a voice mail a few days ago. Two days later, a phone call to the original customer service representative and 3 calls to the so called account manager have not been returned.

So to recap, I've been out of a rear wheel for about 2 weeks and Azonic has seemingly shut down any lines of communication. It's possible that I just got a bad hub and that they are normally durable. I could accept that. However, this lack of urgency in taking care of the customer is not acceptable. Hopefully I will eventually get my hub fixed, but I no longer have any faith in Azonic.

Submitted by jordacheha a Weekend Warrior from montreal

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2010

Strengths:    burly

Weaknesses:    VERY cheaply made witha serious design flaw between the freewheel and hub...the bearing spacer wears out super quick (whenever the bike is moving and your not pedaling)the even though i greased it 2 in that time.

Bottom Line:
spend a little more and go for a hope, chris king, dt or similar

Purchased At:   beyond bikes

Bike Setup:   banshee morphine

Submitted by dnav a Cross Country Rider from California

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2009

Strengths:    I purchased an Outlaw wheelset to use for xc riding and got maybe 20 rides on this rear hub before I blew it up on a steep climb. Customer service said after a year it was out of warranty, but would sell me a new one for $70 ...uh no thanks. I found a used XT built wheel on this site and have had no problems at all in 2 years.

Weaknesses:    Cheaply made....is it a Formula Hub hmmm?

Bottom Line:
Save up your money for Chris King. Do not buy Azonic wheelsets!

Favorite Trail:   local