Surly Nate Fatbike Tire

We named this tire for our friend Nate, who is himself large and aggressive. A major departure from Endomorph and Larry’s more shoot-n-drift tread characteristics, Nate is a shred-your-face-off, run-over-anything, kung fu grip knobby tread pattern. The casing is round and supple at 120tpi. Tall, widely spaced knobs are siped for added grip and compliance, which optimizes their grip. The knob’s wide spacing means they dig deep and still shed the crap you’re riding through. The tread is wrapped around the sides of the tire some, providing good knob contour even on very wide rims, which in turn allows good off-camber traction. Available in wire or Kevlar bead.

Submitted by WheelieWonka

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2015

Strengths:    Aggressive tread
Hooks up on everything

Weaknesses:    Slow
Kicks up sand

Bottom Line:
I've ridden my Surly Pugsley for well over 3 years now. I've had the Fat Larrys , Escalators, Husker Dus and now these 120 TPI Surly Nates. I think they would be great in mud and snow but I found them to roll extremely slow. I can get them to roll a bit better when I knock the air pressure down to around 5.5 psi but I'm still no liking them. They also are loud as heck on road, boardwalks, etc. And they also kick up a ton of sand when riding beach. So much so that I have to turn my head to keep it from flying in my face. I know I can throw a fender on of some sort but why bother? I like to roll faster and use handling skills to make up for a lack of knobby-ness. I'm going back to Husker Du. I can see why some people would love these but they're simply not for me.

Submitted by ferday a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2012

Strengths:    Traction. If you can't make it up, over, or through, then it's you, not the tires
cornering is fantastic, climbing is good (slow rolling), and braking traction is beyond comprehension. Holds off camber lines like nothing I've ever tried. Great cornering in soft conditions like snow or bog/mud.

Weaknesses:    Really heavy, really expensive. Roll pretty slow, and sound like an apache helicopter riding a tank on pavement or hardpack.
Not the best in soft snow (tends to break the crust) although the cornering in soft is really good. Flotation isn't the best (for a 4" tire that is)

Bottom Line:
So far I couldn't be happier with a set of tires. The real surprise has been braking traction, the steep off camber lines that can be ridden on a rigid fat bike with comfort and control is shocking. I wish I could get these things on a DH rig. Cornering is awesome, very predictable and the tires are handling low pressures (6-8psi) very well without squirming. the extra weight is noticeable and the rolling compared to the Larry or endo is considerably slower on hard packed, but in the loose the traction is so extreme that it doesn't matter.

Since we are talking fat bikes, they aren't the first choice I'd make for strict snow riding, while they hold a corner better than a Larry or endo they also seem to break the crust more and the flotation although good isn't quite as good as the Larry. The mud performance is great, anyone who's hit mud on an endomorph would appreciate this tire.

The short answer-if you want more traction (more than your legs can handle) and you ride your fattie on a variety of terrain rather than just soft stuff like snow and sand, and you aren't interested in racing anywhere, and you have some deep pockets then these are very much worth checking out. 4 value chilies cause they are expensive (no more than other fat offerings) but 5 chilies because these tires exceeded my expectations and changed my view on where and when to ride my fat bike. I'll come back and edit after a full season of abuse and let you know how they hold up!

Purchased At: