WTB Wolverine 29'' 29er Tire

The Wolverine 29? confidently devours anything from dicey descents to steep climbs. This fast-rolling tire combines a moderately spaced tread pattern that pierces moist soil, plentiful working edges that cling to hardpack and lean-friendly outside knobs. Like its namesake, the Wolverine looks small but packs a fierce bite.

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2012

Strengths:    Traction. Durability. Tough.

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
I have been a fan of Weirwolf for a long time. When I made the move to 29" wheels WTB did not have the Weirwolf available so I went with these since the tread pattern seemed to be similar. I got them real cheap online. They are not designed to be run tubeless, but I mounted them on Velocity rims with a rim strip and Stan's sealant. They were really hard to get onto the rim. Really tight, but they aired up fine. I have been running them on my hard tail for around 14-16 months in all conditions with no flats. I realized the other day that I have not put any new Stan's in them since I mounted them. I am sure there is none left in there at this point. But they are tough. So they don't get torn, and thus, have not needed sealant to keep them from going flat. There is a weight penalty for sure. Thicker, heavier tires, but without the flats. I am willing to take that trade. I run them on the front and rear. I did reverse the direction on the rear. The traction is excellent. I actually think I will wear out the tread on these tires before I get tares so big that I have to trash them. That is good value. I put Schwalbes on my other bike and have had tons of flats due to tears that the Stan's poured out of. No more light weight, expensive tires for me. I appreciate weight savings, and there really is a big difference when it comes to tires, but I have decided that avoiding flats is worth the trade off. WTB seems to be changing things around with TCS and different models, and most importantly, higher prices, but I would not hesitate to use this tire again. I am over 200 lbs and I run them at 25-28 lbs of pressure in the front and 30-32 lbs on the rear. I lean into corners as fast as I can and attack sharp rocked downhills as hard as I can and they have yet to flat on me.

Favorite Trail:   Lost Valley

Duration Product Used:   1 year +

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe Racing Ralph, Nobby Nic. WTB Weirwolf.

Bike Setup:   29er hardtail, cross country 100mm travel, 1x10

Submitted by yourdaguy

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2012

Strengths:    This is a very good rear tire. I never used it on the front and don't think it would be as good on the front. It is very good in hardpack, loose over hardpack, and light mud (mud over hard). It is fair in sand and deep mud. It climbs really well and unlike some tires if you do break it loose, it tends to reacquire traction after a short slip. It rolls easy and has a good amount of cushion at 26 psi tubeless on my SS hardtail on a Crest rim.

Weaknesses:    Not particularly light.

Bottom Line:
I haven't found a better all around tire for the rear of my hardtail SS. It is wearing pretty well at around 1000 miles on the rear. You can see some wear, but it still has plenty of life left. When you do break it loose, it loses traction gradually and recovers very well and quickly.

Submitted by soto

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2012

Strengths:    Great tubeless
rolls fast
tough sidewalls
feels bigger than 2.2

Weaknesses:    not great as a rear on wet roots

Bottom Line:
Love this tire, has been great in all conditions except mud, especially good in the always hard to tame "loose over hard."

Submitted by Blue Sugar a Cross Country Rider from Middletown, CT

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2011

Strengths:    Tough, low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    Poor performance in mud, grip degrades as tire wears out.

Bottom Line:
I used this tire as a rear tire on my singlespeed and was impresed by its performance when new, but it degraded quickly as the knobs wore out. It's also not great in mud or damp or wet roots and rocks. It doesn't conform to terrain as well as softer tires like a Weirwolf LT, and so dowsn't hook up as well. On the plus side the sidewalls and casing are tough- never any flat problems, and it rolls fairly smoothly.

In the final analysis this is a decent, tough tire but I wouldn't pay more than 40 or so dollars for it, because performance degrades noticably as the tire wears out. Might work better as a front tire, since wear is less of an issue there.

Purchased At:   Won in raffle.

Similar Products Used:   WTB Exiwolf, Wierwolf LT, Maxxis Ikon, Kenda Slant Six.

Bike Setup:   Redline Monocog 29er.

Submitted by Dub Niner a Weekend Warrior from Las Vegas

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2011

Strengths:    Tough sidewalls. Easy tubeless setup. Relatively low rolling resistance.

Weaknesses:    Sketchy traction in loose conditions. Useless on off camber trails

Bottom Line:
I only ran this as a front tire on my Sultan, so this review does not apply as a rear. This tire might actually be more useable on the rear. As a front, I think the profile of the tire is a bit square. It rolled nicely on hard pack, but as soon as you lean it over in any kind of loose or off camber conditions, it totally lost grip. Sometimes you can correct for it, and sometimes it just blows right out from under you. It does not inspire confidence at speed. The longer I rode this tire, the worse it got. Seems as though the chunky granite rocks around here chewed up the tread pretty quickly, though that may be no fault of the tires.
These tires were setup both tubed and tubeless on Stan's Flow rims.

Favorite Trail:   Bootleg Canyon