WTB Weirwolf 2.55 LT 29er 29er Tire

4.36/5 (11 Reviews)
Weight : 825 grams MSRP : $74.99

Based onThe very popular 26” WTB WeirWolf racingTire, WTB hasTransferredTheTechnology andTreadToThe 29” world. Originally conceived in 2002,The re-designed WeirWolfTire from WTB is a product of 5 years development betweenTop endurance downhiller Mark Weir and WTB chief designer Mark Slate.The product is aTire with unparalleled grip and predictability at any lean angle.TheTerraced side knobs feature an advanced progressive design.TheTread is soft on initialTurn-in and conformsToTheTerrain.The fas

Submitted by soulospeeder a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2013

Strengths:    Cushy, eats up dry conditions & has predictable cornering characteristics. "Cat on Velcro" grip on slickrock.

Weaknesses:    Not really 2.55, more like a 2.2 or 2.3...

Bottom Line:
This is for the OLD version of this tire, which unfortunately WTB no longer makes. I scored two of these at the LBS bargain bin for 20 bucks each. They seated well on Black Flag Pro's with 2 scoops of Stan's and a floor pump.

These tires hang on well in the dusty & loose conditions of Sedona. Also do a decent job in the May-June "moondust-over-hardpack" conditions in Flagstaff, and they rail it when the trail is a little tacky. They are my favorite for my rigid 29er SS as well. Ran the 26" version of this tire for years on a SS.

WTB, please bring this tire back!

Favorite Trail:   One free of horses & hikers

Duration Product Used:   5 years

Similar Products Used:   WTB Mutano Raptor (2.4) Kenda Nevegal (2.1)

Bike Setup:   Voodoo Canzo & Niner scandium SS with Niner carbon fork.

Submitted by Ryder1 a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2011

Strengths:    Volume, rolling resistance, tough, seamless handling, overall confidence.

Weaknesses:    1) Not light (but not heavy either) and 2) outer knobs are kinda meek but that's by design.

Bottom Line:
This is a solid tire that provides nice cushioning, consistent and natural grip, and reliablity at respectable weight and rolling resistance. I ran this tire tubeless for a while and also with tubes - with tubes I bottomed the rim about 5 times and never pinch flatted - is that the tire? I suspect so. I was going to buy an Ardent 2.4 but a few more rides on this tire (which I already owned) and I decided to stick with the Weirwolf for a while. No real complaints for regular trail riding. But if chosing a new tire, I'd go with an Ardent 2.4 (I like the 2.25).

Wet and mud performance is unknown to me.

Favorite Trail:   National

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Rampage, Ardent 2.25, Resolution 2.3, Ewiwolf,Nanoraptor, Ignitor, Crossmark.

Bike Setup:   2011 Kona Unit SS

Submitted by zepp3lin a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2010

Strengths:    Good grip tyre on my front 29er wheel.

Weaknesses:    WTB claim is not valid for the measurement of 2.55". 2.55" if convert to mm = 64.77mm and these 29er Weirwolf LT only measures about 56mm on my veneer caliper. It's a lose of about 9mm wide and it's a lot. It's only a mere 2.2 or 2.3" in size. I do not know why but I think WTB are using a made in China ruler to measure their tyre product or WTB engineering does not go for a basic measurement school. I felt cheated and dissapointed due to the size.

Bottom Line:
I trust WTB with their Exiwolf and Wolverine 29 tyres that I owned before. I felt cheated when I received the product that are not what they claim. Measure my rig? Whet kind of bull is that? Furthermore their price is very steep.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere in the forest

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Exiwolf and Wolverine 29er

Bike Setup:   Niner WFO9

Submitted by DG_NJRIDER a Cross Country Rider from NJ

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2010

Strengths:    Grips like crazy, good construction, low tread pattern

Bottom Line:
I'm amazed at how well these tires grip, I was on a gravel rock road with a very steep incline. I stood up to pedal and these wheels didn't skip a bit, plus you get the the width of the tire to help the rim not get mangled when u hit rocks. Excellent!

Favorite Trail:   Allamuchy

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   El Captain Control 2.0

Bike Setup:   SE Stout 29er. 10 SJ COMP 29er.

Submitted by AustinBiker a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2010

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance, great grip in dry, dusty, rocky conditions, lightweight

Weaknesses:    Not as fast as the Small block 8, but grippier

Bottom Line:
These run great in a variety of conditions here in Austin where it's mostly dry, hot, and hot and dry. Lots of rock which they eat up. When it turns into twisty singletrack they shine as well. Despite some comments on the sidewalls, I have had zero problems in a year of riding ~50 miles/week. I run them tubeless on Stan's Arch rims, and have had to add sealant a couple times, and recently had a puncture through the casing - threw a simple glueless patch on it and presto! - haven't needed to add air in a week, still right at 28 psi.

Great tire, wish it didn't cost $50.

Similar Products Used:   Jones ACX, Ignitors, Nevegal, Small block 8

Bike Setup:   Titus RacerX 29er

Submitted by MTBiker483 a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2009

Strengths:    These tires are very fast, and offer very good grip on anything dry I have put them on so far.

Weaknesses:    They clog up in mud, and they are NOT 2.55", more like 2.25"

Bottom Line:
I ordered these tires online and I was disappointed in the size, they are not nearly as big as WTB claims. Riding on them however, I am very satisfied. I have been able to climb through trail sections I lost grip in before, they corner very nicely and roll fast. They are weak in the mud, but where I usually ride it's not an issue. I would recommend these tires, but don't expect 2.55" from them!

Favorite Trail:   Anything Poudre and Front Range

Purchased At:   WheelWorld.Com

Similar Products Used:   A lot

Bike Setup:   A big 29'er!

Submitted by jmw a Cross Country Rider from Midlo, VA

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2008

Strengths:    Big

Weaknesses:    Not that big (measures more like a 2.3) not even close to 2.55

Bottom Line:
Haven't had a chance to get some real miles on it yet, but looks fast but I'm disappointed in it's size.

Similar Products Used:   Rampage, Exiwolf, Fastrak

Bike Setup:   Singlespeed

Submitted by diekema a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2008

Strengths:    big volume

Weaknesses:    weight

Bottom Line:
Fabulous tire for rocks and deep gravel or sand. Rolls well anywhere. Not enough tread for loose or muddy conditions. Awesome run soft on a rigid bike.

Favorite Trail:   Barton Creek Green Belt

Purchased At:   Bicycle Sport Shop

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Jones ACX, Maxis Ignitor, WTB Nanoraptor

Bike Setup:   Rigid Kona Unit 29er SS

Submitted by Stephen a Weekend Warrior from Dripping Springs, TX

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2007

Strengths:    Fast, predictable, wide

Weaknesses:    could use a little more knob

Bottom Line:
Tires are like women, Skinny doesn"t work for an old man. what they lack in knob they make up for in surface area, instill confidence. I'm lucky enough to have a bike to run them.

Favorite Trail:   mine

Purchased At:   came on bikecould use a little more knob

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Rampage

Bike Setup:   Lenz Leviathan, Curiak, XTR,Thomson, MonkeyLite, RockShox

Submitted by Big Chipper a Cross Country Rider from Charlotte, NC

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2007

Strengths:    Very low rolling risistance. Good bump compliance due to large volume. Great grip for tires with low tread.

Weaknesses:    A little porky? Dunno what they weigh, but I'd guess they're around 800 grams a piece.

Bottom Line:
Great tire for most types of riding. Haven't had a problem with grip yet. Rolling resistance is among the best. Highly recommended!!!

Favorite Trail:   Sherman Branch

Purchased At:   Black Sheep

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegals

Bike Setup:   XL Niner SIR9 SS - Reba Race, Truvative Stylo 32t, White Industries Freewheel 20t, Salsa Delgados with Surly Disc Hubs, BB7s, Fleegle, etc.

Submitted by David Cohen a Cross Country Rider from Christchurch, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2007

Strengths:    Volume, fast rolling, good grip

Weaknesses:    Size: check you can get them into your frame stays!

Bottom Line:
These are a very superior XC, hard-pack tyre that copes well with gravel roads, slippery pine needles and some mud clearance – but have enough volume to float over pretty well anything including sand.

Fast rolling, outstanding resilience, light for their formidable size and appear to be pretty durable, despite thin side walls. My bike is steel framed and unsuspended and these are the best thing I’ve done in the way of an upgrade.

Only things to look out for: You need a rim with minimum 21mm bead seat diameter to be really safe – I’ve got them on 18mm rims while I test them out but am keeping a close eye on the tyre pressures as don’t want them to roll off the rims when I get carried away. Use lots of talc when fitting as it lets the tube move round and set itself: important, given that most tubes inside this thing are going to be inflated above their normal design limits. Check your seat-stay width and fork clearances as well – these are WIDE and getting them home, fitting them and then finding they “ain’t going in there” would be a modern tragedy. Finally the volume: 200 strokes from a full-size Blackburn in-frame pump to get to 40psi: not a problem if you have a compressor to hand, but something to bear in mind in the field – take a decent pump.