WTB Stout 29er 29er Tire

4.56/5 (9 Reviews)
Weight : 1150 grams

The most aggressive tire in WTB’s comprehensive 29er line, the Stout 29″ performs in soft, loose and rough terrain with exceptional stability and easy lean transitions. This tire’s staggered, square blocks provide an efficient centerline, while the open spacing allows the tread to pierce soft soil when carving turns or braking. The well-supported blocks stay firm on hardpack and asphalt.

Submitted by dblspeed

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2012

Strengths:    Overall excellent traction in all conditions, tough and durable, perfect amount of volume, neither too much nor too little for my frames and forks, ie On One Scandal, Banshee Paradox, Reba U-turn, Manitou Drake.
Very predictable, corners and brakes great.
Easy "notubes" set up on flow rims.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, slow rolling, but it is not a race or even an xc tire!

Bottom Line:
Great tire, fears nothing, not a light race or XC tire by any means and not up to par with the latest AM\DH offerings, ie Dissent etc, but those would not be so great as the Stout for all day adventures on any type of terrain.

Submitted by Flyin'W a Cross Country Rider from NoVA

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2010

Strengths:    Great cornering, side hill tracking, rough terrain performance, and durability.

Weaknesses:    Slow rolling & heavy +1000g.

Bottom Line:
Stout up front, Rampage in back, the Stout tracks and corners better than a Rampage did up front. Must run higher PSI, as it has less volume than the Rampage. Great tire for rocky rough terrain, but @ 1000g seems far too heavy for a rear.
To me, tire volume is key for rough trails, and I only wish that tire sizing made sense. ERTO = Stout/60, and Rampage/58, listed as 2.3 & 2.35 is contradictory.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Bonty ACX, Kenda Klaw, Pana Rampage, Geax Saguaro.

Bike Setup:   Hi-Fi Pro 1x9

Submitted by Tasselhof a Cross Country Rider from Moscow, Russia

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2010

Strengths:    Great traction
Big volume

Bottom Line:
My choise for winter/mud.

Purchased At:   CRC

Submitted by cruzean a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2010

Strengths:    Incredible grip, strong sidewall, not too heavy, roll better than Rampage. Give a nice ride and let you ride scary fast. I bought 8 of them.

Weaknesses:    none other than I beleive they do not make them any more and they wear a bit fast. WTB, if you are listening please bring these back.

Bottom Line:
These tires are great for big guys like me (210 lbs). Incredible grip, strong and compliant side wall let you run low to med pressure. Replaces my IRC Kujo DH and Rampage and now I roll a lot faster and never lose traction. A great all around tire. On both my HT and FS bikes.

Similar Products Used:   Rampage, Fire, IRC, ...

Bike Setup:   Foes FXR 69er

Submitted by fatoldslow a Cross Country Rider from charlotte, nc

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2009

Strengths:    grip, tuff, handle well

Weaknesses:    a little heavy, wear quickly

Bottom Line:
These are great tires for a ridge single speed. Can run low air and not worry about snake bite. These grip like good mtn. bike tires are suppose to and never surprise you by sliding out at the worse possible time. Only 2 little problems here---weight and they wear pretty fast. Still great tires.

Favorite Trail:   tsali

Bike Setup:   single speed

Submitted by tees_riot a Cross Country Rider from Chicago, Il

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2009

Strengths:    wrap around knobs, firm sidewall, dual compound

Weaknesses:    weight, grip not as solid as expected

Bottom Line:
Read good things, was looking for more aggressive tread for soft, loose conditions. Good performance in rock garden and roots but not quite as grippy as I expected by reputation. Also picked up and did not clear well in barely wet, not truly muddy trail condition. Will continue to evaluate and perhaps drop my air pressure for next round.

Favorite Trail:   Romero Canyon

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Small Block 8, Nevegal, Racing Ralph

Bike Setup:   Moots hardtail, XTR, Fox

Submitted by Trond a Weekend Warrior from Oslo, Norway

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2009

Strengths:    Massive grip, excellent knobs for wet trails, compliant and yet puncture resistant.

Weaknesses:    high rolling resistance

Bottom Line:
This is THE grippiest 29er tire to date. My definite go-to tire for wet conditions - which is 60-70% of the riding I do here in Norway. Incredible grip, compliant, it just doesn't slip on climbs. Amazing cornering in the wet and mud. It could roll a little faster, but I wouldn't give up the grip for it. Top marks for its intended use!

Favorite Trail:   Too many good ones

Similar Products Used:   exiwolf, racing ralph, crossmark, rampage, nevegal, system 4, the crow

Bike Setup:   Niner RIP9. King, Flow, Minute 29, Code 5

Submitted by pcupach a Weekend Warrior from Albuquerque NM

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2008

Strengths:    Knobs that actually grab the trail instead of just looking cool

Weaknesses:    I wish the Stout was a real tubeless tire.

Bottom Line:
Ive ran various tires on my RIP.
The Maxis ignitor was undoubtably the worst tire Ive had up front. No traction in any direction!!
The Racing Ralph was a good tire but the side wall blew out when a AZ rock bit through it on a fire road (RR are to expensive to replace)
Geax Sagura is a great tire for the price. I have it on my front wheel of my SS
I went back Rampages this season. They offered great traction, speed, control..but I always wished I had more traction going into turns or on high banked trails
So I decided to replace the Rampage that I had up front wth WTB Stout (Im runing it tubeless).
Big traction improvement!!
The front end grabs and stays where I point the bike like never before. I rode the Stout on varous terrain from high alpine (10K+), forest floor, loose chunky rocks, some sand to loose gravel roads. The Stout was point and go all the way!! I was particularly enjoying the effective traction when I was teetering on the wrong side of a (loose dirt/loose rocks/pine needles) single track with a 300 foot drop off. The tire didnt slide away it held its ground as I pedaled out of certain pain. This example is just one of many the tire held its ground. Basically it enabled me to clear obstacles and take a better route than before. If you are worried about the big knobs slowing you down dont--Becasue of the better traction the Stout offers you can do what you want instead of slowing down. Or you could just pedal more/faster/harder.

Favorite Trail:   REM

Purchased At:   bike 29

Similar Products Used:   Maxis Ignitors, Rampages, Racing Ralphs, Geax Sagura

Bike Setup:   Niner Rip 9--XT, SRAM, Dt Swiss, WTB, Formula...you get the picture Jamis Dakota--converted to a SS...factory stuff...fun and inexpesive

Submitted by sean salach a Cross Country Rider from palmer, alaksa

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2008

Strengths:    nearly unstoppable traction, tought sidewalls, rolls quickly enough.

Weaknesses:    a little heavy, but not really noticeable up front where i keep it.

Bottom Line:
if you like to ride aggressively, sometimes stupidly, push the bike into turns, charge through rock gardens, this tire is top notch up front. i haven't used it out back because i only have one and don't really want to take it off the front. i love it. it's very confidence inspiring. turning traction better than any other 29" tire i've used, much more durable rubber than a rampage, sturdy casing. it's worth the weight for 'aggressive xc'. i'm 6'4, 200, and prefer long rides(3+ hrs, 20+++ miles), technical terrain and trying to ride fast enough to scare myself. if you're similar, you'll probably love this tire.

Favorite Trail:   beaver brook(new jersey)

Similar Products Used:   rampage, xr, ignitor, weirwolf, exiwolf, crossmark, motoraptor, nanoraptor

Bike Setup:   rigid ss

Stout 29er wheels(budget)

I am looking for a fairly strong set of wheels/hubs for a 235lb rider for my 29er. I have somewhat narrowed it down to the WTB TCS i23 wheelset. I would like to stay around $350-400 for the set. I don't need them to be tubeless ready, as the others I mentioned are, but I need them to be strong. ... Read More »

My Nashbar Single Speed Rigid 29er (SE Stout) Build

I wanted a cheap but decent single speed rigid 29er. I was back and forth between the Nashbar SS 29er (which is an unbranded 2008 SE Stout) and the Bikes Direct Gravity G29. Eventually after a lot of headaches and indecisiveness I ended up with the Nashbar. The bike came well packed and se ... Read More »

NO more SE racing STOUT 29er for 2012

I saw in facebook that SE RACING has there 2012 catalog of new bikes. but I didn't see the 2012 STOUT 29er. so I posted what happen to the stout to which they responded not for 2012 enjoy the 11s while there out.Read More »

Stout Race 29er tubeless?

I'm wondering how many people have had success--or serious failure--running the WTB Stout tubeless on Flow rims? From my research, I've found conflicting reports, but not many. Any help?Read More »

Can my 2010 SE Stout 29er switch to quick release?

I've heard that it can be done, but, if so, I have no idea how to do it. Any help is greatly appreciated.Read More »