WTB Nano Raptor 29er 29er Tire

3.5/5 (18 Reviews)
Weight : 650 grams MSRP : $49.98

The Nano Raptor 29er is a XC racing specialist with a round-profile, micro-knob design and large supportive casingThat will help you powerThrough any rough racecourses and roll withThe punches on longTrail rides.The elevated centerlineTread rolls quickly on asphalt and hardpack, whileThe numerous working-edgesTrack predictably in loose over harkpack conditions.The Nano Raptor is a popular choice for shortTrack XC races, dirt jumping and urban sessions. Aramid bead DNA rubber compound Wei

Submitted by Wasmachineman NL

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2012

Strengths:    Pretty much an good allround tyre

Weaknesses:    No anti flat layer.

Bottom Line:
This one came standard on my Z29, It works great in the mud and on forest soil, Not so great in loose sand though, Ive ridden one flat with this tyre, it was an thumb tacker that got stuck in my tyre, Its an good tyre but because of the flat protection I did not rate it 5 chillis'.

Submitted by rnseltz a Weekend Warrior from soCal

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2011

Bottom Line:
Came stock on my bike. Took off the nano up front immediately. Now riding a captain control on the front. Have been running the nano in the back for over six months and have been waiting for it to wear out to replace. On Monday, got a side wall cut. Just converted both wheels to tubeless using the stans kit and put the old front nano on the back. Ran the nano today at 25psi and it was a different tire. Gripped well and didn't feel squirrely like it used too. Trail had everything from sand, gravel, sharp shale, rock gardens, stream crossings, big rocks....

Happy now to keep riding this tire, but won't replace it with another nano.

Bottom line, run at a lower pressure tubeless and it doesn't suck as much.

Favorite Trail:   big climbs

Purchased At:   stock

Bike Setup:   salsa spearfish

Submitted by aaronutah2 a Cross Country Rider from slc

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2011

Strengths:    light, fast, sets up Stans tubless.

Weaknesses:    poor traction, wears very fast.

Bottom Line:
Nearly as as fast and light as the SB8 but worse traction on loose over hard pack. DNA rubber chucked off fast. May work in softer soil. Utah trails tend to bullet hard dirt peppered with half exposed rocks and sprinkled with gravel. Disappointed.

Purchased At:   fishers

Similar Products Used:   SB8, Maxis Ardent, WTB Prowler, Continental MTN King

Bike Setup:   rip9 140mm reba

Submitted by JamnJames a Weekend Warrior from Louisville, KY

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2011

Strengths:    Tough, Fast

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is I have this on the back of my SS 29er and won't be taking it off. I love it on hard pack! More grip than any of the other XC tires I have tried, but still fast. When it gets super tech I do need a little more when I torque down. I attribute some of this to my chain stays being too long, but my Nano Raptor inherits some of the blame also. Look this is not for wet leaves. Its not for 2" of mud. Ride these in the summer.

5-chili's for value because you can get these at a steal every so often.
4-chili's for the rating because nothing is perfect.

Similar Products Used:   Ignitor, Racing Ralph's, Small Block 8

Bike Setup:   F29

Submitted by Heathrow a Cross Country Rider from ellisville, missouri

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2011

Strengths:    rolling speed, looks

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
great tire for some street and most trail surfaces.

Favorite Trail:   castlewood state park

Purchased At:   bikesdirect

Similar Products Used:   maxxis holy roller, cst caballero

Bike Setup:   dawes deadeye ss 29er

Submitted by BeerBikeBerm a Cross Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2011

Strengths:    Reminds me of a mini Weirwolf LT: great compromise between traction, volume, durability and weight. This is no "obsolete classic". Does very well tubeless on Stans Flow and Arch rims.

Weaknesses:    Has excellent traction in ONE direction, not so great in the other direction.
Ex) When I run it on the rear, climbing traction is merely acceptable until I run it reversed, at which point it is incredible. But in reverse, the braking and cornering traction is terrible.

On the front only good for racing or casual riding. It washes out quickly (although I have always been able to catch it as it happens early).

Bottom Line:
No, most companies do not condone tubeless on their tubed tires, with good reason. But some tires end up working VERY well tubeless, and this is one of them (at least for me, 140lb, aggressive XC).

I've run them tubeless on SS rear, front with 100mm fork, front rigid, geared hardtail rear. While front rigid is not a good match, it does excellent on geared, and pretty good on SS. Best of all, it continues to last, and has tough casing that works well with my tubeless setup. I've bottomed out about 30+ times so far and have even picked a carpentry staple out of the tire: no flat, it sealed.

Does XC very well, holds it's own on rougher shtuff.

For reliability, durability and quite decent performance, 4 for value.

I rate this in terms of dry XC riding, so considering this:
4 for overall. What keeps it from a 5 is the uni-directional performance on the rear. You can either climb, or brake, your choice1

Favorite Trail:   anything without pavement

Similar Products Used:   for 29er lower volume XC: Kenda Karma 1.9, Maxxis Ignitor 2.1, WTB Prowler SL 2.1

Submitted by OSnap a Cross Country Rider from Virginia

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2009

Strengths:    Fast rolling tire - light - longlasting

Weaknesses:    well in mudd and wet roots they are lame...but so is everything else

Bottom Line:
I like this tire more than the fasttracks and crossmarks - for me it I seemed to get a little better traction out of these and they seem just as fast. However I wouldn't use any of these tires for a front tire.

Also the treads on these tires have lasted a lot longer than I would have ever thought - I've been running these off and on for 2+ years (I ride about 3-4 times a week) and they don't show much wear at all. That's why I gave the good Value rating

Purchased At:   the store

Similar Products Used:   Specialized fast track, maxxis crossmarks and ignitor

Bike Setup:   SS29

Submitted by tbaier a Weekend Warrior from Baltimore, MD

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2009

Strengths:    Loves the hard stuff.

Weaknesses:    Runs screaming at even the mention of mud.

Bottom Line:
I like this tire a lot, but you just have to be careful of the conditions you use it in. Running one on the back of my Salsa El Mariachi and its great for road and HARDPACK. I was very impressed with the traction while climbing even compared to much knobbier tires like the Rampage and Ignitor. I don't feel like I lose anything (except weight and rolling resistance!) when I sub it for a Rampage when the conditions permit.

Unfortunately the trial I most often ride borders water so there are small sections where streams cross and its ALWAYS muddy - even when the rest of the trail is a dustbowl. I can usually make it through these sections with the Nano but the problem is when I continue to ride down the trail, they have a hard time shedding the mud. They'll stay gummed up even at a decent speed. The tight knob spacing really hangs on to it. I don't expect a tire like this to have much traction in the mud, so it doesn't lose points for that.

If you have the right conditions, these are great light, fast tires that can be had for pretty cheap.

Submitted by abosch a Cross Country Rider from San Rafael, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2008

Strengths:    Fast & light

Weaknesses:    traction & hard cornering

Bottom Line:
Great deal for a good tire. If you are looking for a 'meatier' tire, go elsewhere. If you are looking for a fast and light cross country tire, this is it. In dry conditions of sunny California, it's great.

Favorite Trail:   Tamarancho

Purchased At:   Mike's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Small Block 8

Bike Setup:   Orbea Lanza 29er

Submitted by Nate a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2008

Strengths:    Fast and lightweight

Weaknesses:    Front does not inspire confidence in loose corners. Rear tire developed a clicking noise in the bead or sidewall....not sure. Who know that tires could do this? Replace tire and sound is gone. Lower air pressure increases sound...hmm.

Bottom Line:
Fast race tire for hardpack conditions that may develop an odd clicking sound on rotation. Took me forever to discover that it was actually the tire making the odd sound..

Favorite Trail:   Noble

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Rampage. Nice, but rolling resistance and weight are killers. I ride mostly hardpack out here in SD

Bike Setup:   Niner Jet 9 full XTR, C. King etc...all the goodies

Submitted by Derek a Cross Country Rider from Chadds Ford, PA

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2008

Strengths:    Fast

Weaknesses:    Weak Traction
Harsh
Horrible in Wet
Not that light

Bottom Line:
These tires are okay for pavement. On the trail they have little to no traction or volume. They are even worse then small block eights when the trail is wet. I don't think this tire is very good at all. Save your money.

Favorite Trail:   White Clay Creek

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   SB8, Dry X, a lot

Bike Setup:   Haro Mary SS

Submitted by d a Racer from ny

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2007

Strengths:    none really... looks cool

Weaknesses:    for the street

Bottom Line:
total garbage ... thank god they were the first ... honestly ... okay for the front on dry only ... rear is total crap ... kenda small blocks and bontrager dry x are so much better ... kenda is just as fast ... i compare the nanos to crows ... similar traction ... both crapolla.

=)

Similar Products Used:   all 29er tires

Bike Setup:   niner and fisher

Submitted by Tobias a Cross Country Rider from tijeras,nm

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2007

Strengths:    Fast, durable, tracks well

Weaknesses:    skinny, low volume, small knobs

Bottom Line:
This tire came stock on the rear of my bike and at first I thought it would be too low volume and not enough traction, but... it turned out to impress me with its fast predictable handeling, relativly good grip in the loose rocky trails I ride, and great durability and pinch resistance at high enough tire preasures. I just switched to the rampage and noticed a dramatic reduction in rolling speed. Overall a great tire for southwest trail riding.

Purchased At:   stock on On One Inbred 29er

Similar Products Used:   exiwolf, rampage

Bike Setup:   On One inbred 29er, rigid singlespeed

Submitted by Bruce Brown a Cross Country Rider from Des Moines

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2007

Strengths:    This is the starting point for all 29"er tires. It is a must own tire for those in the midwest who ride/race on our clay packed singletrack. In fact, I think it is the favorite tire in Iowa for mountain bikers - be it 26" or 29". I own the folding bead version and consider them my "go to" tire. They work very well on the pavement on the way to the trail as well.

Weaknesses:    Claimed weight is much lighter than actual weight. My two tires weigh 606 and 666 grams respectively. I'd love to get my hands on a sub 600 gram pair. Wink, wink...

Bottom Line:
I've raced them in mud, in dry, in rain and have ridden these tires in the rocky terrain of the Black Hills and have ridden them on trails all over Iowa on a Dos, a Karate Monkey and a Sugar 293. Great tire that has never failed me. Again - it is the first "go to" tire that I reach for when choosing. Plenty of tire choices out there and not all tires are perfect for everything, but these are gold standard in my book. Volume/weight/price added together make these well worth the investment and performance. Highest rating in both categories as far as I am concerned.

Purchased At:   Speedgoat.com

Similar Products Used:   As for racing and buff singletrack riding - Kenda Small Block 8's, Crows, Karma 1.9's, ACX's, XR 1.8's, XR 2.25's, Exiwolfs, Notos.

Bike Setup:   Mounted on American Classic wheels on my Sugar 293.

Submitted by slim pickens a Cross Country Rider from washington dc

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2006

Strengths:    FAST rolling, reasonably tough, fair volume, short stiff knobs for good traction on rock, wood, pavement, dirt.

Weaknesses:    packs mud, bad traction in loose stuff - especially pea gravel

Bottom Line:
Great race tire, very smooth rolling, perfect for rides with long pavement sections or off camber rocks. The short knobs won't fold, but they pack mud and aren't deep enough for loose conditions.

Favorite Trail:   GW Forest