WTB Exiwolf 29er Tire

3.39/5 (18 Reviews)

Submitted by raftdude a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2013

Strengths:    Great price, great all around cross country tire. They ride nice in the desert and have some decent performance in the mountains here in Colorado.I have these on a 29er hardtail and they provide some nice cush when run at lower pressures. Solid climber mounted as suggested, better when mounted backward.

Weaknesses:    Mounted on the front is not the greatest for hard cornering, but does the job if you know that going in. Just need to be wary of coming in hot in loose stuff. Not the greatest for longevity --- maybe hald season of hard riding. Wet roots, no bueno.

Bottom Line:
Overall I think these are a pretty solid all-around tire. If you want something specifically for hammering hard turns, well, probably should look elsewhere. Otherwise I've found all three sets I've owned to be more than adequate from Moab to the mountains here in Summit County.

Favorite Trail:   Monarch Crest

Similar Products Used:   Continental Race King, Continental X King

Bike Setup:   Niner EMD

Submitted by Rosco

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2013

Strengths:    great all round tyre, run low pressure without tyre peeling , long lasting, low rolling resistance, strong

Weaknesses:    weight

Bottom Line:
I use strava and have bettered most of my times using this tyre. I think the secret is the ability to decrease the pressure without the tyre failing. I have recently had a set of racing ralphs and some rocket rons which needed around 30psi for me + or - a bit depnding on conditions. I can run the exiwolfs at 20 psi and I weigh 93 kgs and ride fast

Submitted by treesmasher a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2012

Strengths:    I run it in reverse on the back of my singlespeed and it grips really good. It rolls good and rides smooth. I have never had a flat or puncture. When it`s pumped up it rolls good on the commute.

Weaknesses:    I don`t like running it unless it`s mounted backwards. I also would not use it as a front tire. This tire has only one width.

Bottom Line:
These are a great back tire when mounted in reverse in all conditions. I have one in waiting when my first one wears out and I will get more tires so I never run out of them for my singlespeed. It might not be the best front tire but I seldom run same tires front and back. These tires come at a good price it seems and hold up and last well. I wouldn`t use this tire for racing but tearing up the trail and one back tire for all seasons I really like it.

Purchased At:   Off a friends bike.

Submitted by rpalmer a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2012

Strengths:    Slickrock, hard to puncture

Weaknesses:    Dirt, anything with a slightly loose surface.

Bottom Line:
Get these tires if you like to slide all over the place when you are going fast. In other words, if you are a fast rider these tires are DANGEROUS on mountain trails. I can't corner at speed, period. And when I say "corner" I mean if the trail veers AT ALL I have to slow WAAAAAY down or else I am crashing into the trees. Note that this applies only to dirt/gravel surfaces, or anything loose. On the Moab/St. George slickrock surfaces I have never had a better tire. They grip great and the small knobs put up little resistance.

Duration Product Used:   Almost a year

Purchased At:   Contender

Bike Setup:   2011 Giant Anthem X3

Submitted by aghily

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2012

Strengths:    good for street i reckon...

Weaknesses:    Very loose on gravel and sand, particularly the front; a disaster waiting to happen. Prone to flats as well. Tread wears so easily.

Bottom Line:
This is what my Monocog came with and it's just not good for the dirt.

Submitted by E. Guido Soda a Cross Country Rider from Bham, AL

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2011

Strengths:    Good looking.....?

Weaknesses:    Spins out on quite a bit on loose-over-hard climbs, loose rock, stone-build-ups, leafy/wet corners, hell, anything even remotely wet. No confidence in this tire, and that's half the battle when running a tire. I have it on the rear wheel in an effort to compliment a Nobby Nic on the front, but thus far this tire has been nothing but a disappointment. The tire is mounted backwards, and I still get very little traction.

Bottom Line:
Since I have only used it on three rides in winter/wet conditions, I can't give it the worst rating possible. It's cheap, so the value rating is not too bad. Anyway, I am going to replace it with another Nobby Nic for the winter, and try this one again in the summer when conditions are dryer/faster. As it stands, I can't get behind this tire just yet...

Similar Products Used:   Conti, Tioga, Geax, Schwalbe

Bike Setup:   Trek Superfly 100 AL Elite

Submitted by TiGeo a Cross Country Rider from Midlothian, VA

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2011

Strengths:    Seem to have good rolling resistance, handling tubeless well, I like the small knobs.

Weaknesses:    None that I can tell.

Bottom Line:
I am not picky I guess...these seem to work great for me and for the trail conditions in the mid-Atlantic. They are large volume and seem to hook up well for me. I have leaned my bike a few times too far and had them loose traction, but I think any tire will do that at some point.

Favorite Trail:   Pocohantas State Park

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   First time on large volume "new school" tires.

Bike Setup:   29er rigid SS

Submitted by RandyBoy a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2011

Strengths:    Cheap, puncture proof.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, poor lateral grip on anything loose or off camber.

Bottom Line:
This is the only used tire I've ever given away for free to a very, very talented and experienced racer and rider. He gave them away too! I wouldn't dare recommend them. If your bike comes with them, remove them immediately. This is the only tire I've had wash out up front on a fire road and cause a crash. I've had the rear wash out with no warning on off camber trail also, causing a crash. Here in the Southwest, they are a hazard. Will never get them again. I would give them zero chiles if possible. The only reason they come on new 29'er bikes is because they are so cheap.

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Rampage, Kenda Nevegal, Schwalbe Racing Ralph, Rocket Ron, CST Cabellero

Bike Setup:   Niner Air9

Submitted by xjpart2 a Cross Country Rider from Sandy, UT

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2011

Strengths:    strong sidewalls, easy to seat when setting up tubeless

Weaknesses:    as a front tire it can wash out pretty quick in certain conditions

Bottom Line:
I had some luck with these on my Redline Monocog, as they came on it new. But yanked them in favor of a pair of Ignitors after a few months.

I revisited these in a pinch last year, I needed a rear tire for my full susp 29er in a pinch. I ran this on the rear with the direction reversed and had great luck. A very grippy tire when run tubeless.

Favorite Trail:   Too many

Purchased At:   Bicycle Hanger- Miss

Similar Products Used:   Ignitor, Nano Raptor, Murano Raptor, Crossmark, Racing Ralph, Ardent, Mountain King

Bike Setup:   29er

Submitted by alan762 a Weekend Warrior from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2011

Strengths:    Excellent grip as a rear tire. Enough volume that it provides a comfortable ride on a hardtail.

Weaknesses:    Would make a bad front, not enough cornering grip. Tread only lasts about half a season before a change is required.

Bottom Line:
I originally got this as a used tire to use temporarily and I fell in love with it. It grips like crazy on everything I've taken it on and it can be used on controlled slides when cornering. I've never had a problem with it rigged tubeless.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Falcon

Similar Products Used:   Nevegal

Bike Setup:   giant xtc 29er, mostly stock

Submitted by dog.gone a Cross Country Rider from Oregon

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2009

Strengths:    Volume, fast rolling, excellent non-mud rear tire

Weaknesses:    Horrible, horrible front tire.

Bottom Line:
Fast rolling, high-volume tire that's good in most conditions except mud. Use it as a rear tire only; this tire has a strong tendency to washout without warning and is dangerous on the front.

I give it 4 flamin' chilis as a back tire application, but only 1 flamin' chili when used as a front tire.

Favorite Trail:   McKenzie River Trail

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Various

Bike Setup:   GT Peace 9r / geared rigid

Submitted by ez5 a Weekend Warrior from ontario

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2009

Strengths:    plush

Weaknesses:    grip, weight.

Bottom Line:
these came on my bike which had really heavy stock rims and these werent helping. rode them in snow and they did pretty well actually, felt like i was in a cadillac, very plush.

bought lighter wheels and put schwalbe racing ralphs on them and didnt really like the grip or the volume so put the exiwolf back on the rear and found it to be very fast rolling and super plush, started doing rock gardens and log jams at full speed and stuff where the racing ralph was bottoming out so bad i would avoid at all costs.

they are however MUCH heavier, which is compounded by the increased O.D. of the 29", and are useless at any off camber climbing, also kind of scary in dry corners.

overall a good value but if you are in this price range you want something that will suit your all around needs and this is not it, the weight alone puts it in rampage territory which is much better all around.

Favorite Trail:   frankenstein

Purchased At:   came on bike

Similar Products Used:   rampage, racing ralph, ww lt, klaw.

Bike Setup:   flagstaff, american classics,

Submitted by bryan123 a Weekend Warrior from Sonoma

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2009

Strengths:    Fast rolling,

Weaknesses:    Washout on Corners

Bottom Line:
Superb back tire. Grippy for the terrain I ride (Harpack, dry). Definitely had to change in the winter due to mud issues, but were immediately back on as soon as the trails were mostly dry. Tried running on front, had a tendency to wash-out on corners with anything remotely loose. Solved that with a Rampage.

Favorite Trail:   Rockville

Similar Products Used:   Various tires

Bike Setup:   Evolve

Submitted by RussoJ a Weekend Warrior from Shapleigh, Maine

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2009

Strengths:    Good vol. Works great on hard packed trails and fairy dry. Good in sand as well

Weaknesses:    Not the best tire for wet conditions. Slips alot on damp rocks and roots. Does not provide much cornering confidence with the lack of shoulder knobs

Bottom Line:
Tires are good for stock just not the best tire for taking hard corners.

Favorite Trail:   Any as long as I'm riding

Similar Products Used:   Waiting on Kenda Nevegals to come in. Xc fire Pros, WTB weir Wolfs (26er)

Bike Setup:   Redline Monocog 29er, BB7's, Race Face SL Carbon Bars, ODI Lock on grips, crankbrother pedals

Submitted by zipzit a Weekend Warrior from Metro Detroit, Michigan, USA

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2009

Strengths:    These tires are great. Grab very well for me. Until I had these tires, it was very difficult negotiating sand traps and slippery roots.

Weaknesses:    They are a bit heavy, but I like the extra durability. Also, not recommended for extended pavement rides.

Bottom Line:
Great tire, recommend highly.

Favorite Trail:   Novi Tree Farm, Stony Creek

Purchased At:   Speedgoat.com

Bike Setup:   Karate Monkey SS

Wtb Exiwolf race tire

Can anyone tell me how the Wtb race tires hold up for everyday trail riding? I have a chance to buy a set cheap, but am worried about the light weight casing. I wouldn't be racing them just riding the trails.Read More »

WTB Exiwolf

I can't find these on WTB's website, are they no longer made?. If not what is a good alternative?.Read More »

Exiwolf expodes off Crest rim- anyone else?

A couple of days ago I replaced a ZTR 355 29" rim with a new Crest, and mounted the Exiwolf tire on it that had been on the 355. It's a tubeless setup using Stan's. Aired it up to about 45 lbs with a compressor and a few minutes later BOOM! It blew off the rim, sending goop everywhere. I saw there ... Read More »

WTB Mutano vs. Exiwolf

If your [U]only[/U] tire choices are a WTB Mutano 2.2 TCS or a WTB Exiwolf 2.1 TCS, what would be your suggestion and why? This is for a rear only tire on a 5 inch full suspension trail bike. I ride a mix of trails that are typically dry and are hardpack, loose over hardpack, sand, rocks, and ... Read More »

WTB Exiwolf 2.3

Reading through the reviews and most people say it sheds mud well but then go on to say they only run it on the rear. I was thinking of picking up a pair of these. How are they on the front? For mud/sand specifically. I imagine they do well on hardpack as well.Read More »