WTB Dissent 29 29er Tire

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

• Intended use freeride/downhill
  • Works well in dry to moist/hardpack to loose conditions
  • Steel bead
  • Super track dna rubber
  • Super duty casing

Submitted by GlowBoy a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2012

Strengths:    Incredible traction (even after my modifications). Incredible size. Very fast rolling (AFTER my modifications).

Weaknesses:    Incredible weight. Surprisingly stiff-riding. Slow rolling in native form. Definitely not for everyone.

Bottom Line:
I bought the Dissent as soon as I could get my hands on it because it is the biggest, beefiest 29" tire out there, and the early reviews were off the charts. I have to say the reviews are right. This thing is phenomenally grippy in everything from mud, roots and rocks, packed trails, babyhead rocks, all the way to loose sand and gravel. If you can ride it, this tire can grab onto it, at pretty much any angle. It's a bit slow rolling, as you might expect, but not unreasonable given its capabilities. And you can run ridicu-low pressure thanks to the volume and sturdy casing.

Unfortunately the sturdy casing has its downsides. This tire is extremely heavy, and doesn't ride smoothly. Even with very low pressure, it can be punishing on rough terrain when run in front with a rigid fork. My other high-volume 29" tires (Purgatory, Rampage, Resolution), though significantly smaller than the Dissent, are quite a bit more comfortable even at higher pressure. An XC-casing version would be stupendous as a front tire, if only WTB would make it.

I've found that because of the stiff casing, it does work really well as a REAR tire, where cushioning matters less and the stiff sidewall eliminates snakebites. It probably won't fit most frames, but does fit my Vulture. To make mine roll faster, I've shaved off all the center knobs, basically yielding the world's beefiest semislick. At lower pressures it still grips incredibly well in everything, even without the center knobs. Simply amazing, and it rolls really, rally fast. I don't use it all the time due to the weight, but it's especially good for the beach and snow riding that I like to do, where its huge volume promotes float and I don't mind the weight so much. The fast-rolling quality also makes it great for beach rides, which usually also involve a significant stretch of pavement.

Favorite Trail:   Waldo Lake

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Purgatory 2.4: approaches the Dissent in size, but more suited to wet than dry conditions.
Panaracer Rampage 2.35: good all-conditions tire, one of the highest volume after the Dissent and Purgatory.
Specialized Resolution 2.3: my favorite front tire. Decent in everything, but long out of production.
WTB Exiwolf 2.3: A joke. Unreliable in loose, dry conditions, packs up in the wet. Good riddance.

Bike Setup:   Vulture custom 29"er, generally geared with suspension fork in the summer, singlespeed with rigid fork in the winter.

Submitted by Steffen a Weekend Warrior from Tuebingen, Germany

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2011

Strengths:    Traction, pure fun going downhill, cushy, reliable.
At very low pressure, it clings to anything you throw at it. Roots and rocks are its personal friends. At higher pressures, it will roll quite well. Wear is negligible. So far I have about 2500 km on them, and they have lost only 1/4 of their profile in the middle. I honestly expect to be able to run them for up to 10.000 kms.
They also do reasonably well in winter if you don't want to run spike tires.

Weaknesses:    Weight. My tires are both above 1300g. You don't really want to ride them uphill. I still do, and it is not as bad as it sounds. Just more than double as heavy as race tires.

Bottom Line:
There is nothing better when riding down rocky, rooty or loose trails. Actually, there is probably nothing comparable downhill in all terrain you could come up with. You pay the price uphill, but it is worth it.

Purchased At:   bike29.com

Similar Products Used:   WTB Stout, Panaracer Rampage. Honestly, Dissents are in a class of their own. Dissents are to Rampages what Rampages are to Racing Ralphs.

Bike Setup:   Access XCL 9r hardtail. Yes, Dissents will clear the frame very well even in the dirt.

Submitted by rockcrusher a Weekend Warrior from Tucson, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2011

Strengths:    These are the best 29er tires for traction and compliance and strength bar none.

Weaknesses:    These are the heaviest 29er tires going and are flipping huge. Measure first before buying.

Bottom Line:
I have these mounted to my Sun MTX33 29er wheels and they are huge. They have infinite traction whether scrabbling up loose gravel over exposed stone or searching for traction in baby heads in a fast downhill turn. Traction traction traction.

They are wearing well which is surprising.

I have mounted them Tubeless with just tape but the casing is so stiff and the beads wire and the pressures so low that they will burp at the bead. Perhaps another layer of tape will help.

Flats are all but a memory with these tires.

I run them about 19-23psi depending on the trail. They are almost impossible to bottom out.

They can give a heck of shake to a bike in abrupt square edge hit due to their mass. I haven't weigh them as it scares me.

They just fit in the back of my el mariachi as long as the wheels are true and there is no mud. There are some rub marks on my chainstay from single speed grunting climbs flexing the wheel.

Finally this is all in context of a rigid single speed in Southern Arizona.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky ones

Purchased At:   Pricepoint (I think)

Similar Products Used:   In 26 specialized chunders and tioga DH. Nothing similar in 29ers.

Bike Setup:   Salsa El Mariachi Rigid.

Misfit Psycles' diSSent 29'er. Thoughts?

Greetings. So I came across this baby and i'm interested. Any thoughts? Experience? Knowledge? [url]http://www.psyclestore.com/products/diSSent-FE-Singlespeed-29er-Frame.html#reviews[/url]Read More »