WTB Bronson 2.2 29'' 29er Tire

4.1/5 (10 Reviews)

Bronson is WTBs newest 29erTread for all conditions riding. Widely spaced knobs are suitble for dry hardpackTo mud, and everything in between. claimed 700 grams Aramid folding bead

Submitted by Jeremy

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2013

Strengths:    Rolling resistance
Traction

Weaknesses:    Difficult to seat bead
Weak side walls-- perforated after 1 ride

Bottom Line:
I purchased this tire to replace a Kenda Nevegal. Found it difficult to seat the bead. Finally did and liked the performance. Rolled fast and confident traction in the muddy and leaf covered trails I was riding. However, after an hour ride I got home and found a 4" cut in the side wall that was seeping air. Not impressed with the durability at all. Will not buy again.

Submitted by Reilly a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2013

Strengths:    Side grip
Low rolling resistance
Predictable
Easy to set up tubeless
Overall grip

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Awesome tire, lots of grip and slides predictably. Really good grip in all the dry conditions I've tried. Went from a slant six (which I liked a lot) to this and I am much happier with the bronson. The other thing I like about it is the grip from the front during hard braking. Very good communication from the tires allowing me to push my boundaries as far as lean and late braking go. Its not super light, so its probably not great for a weight weanie type, but for a XC/Trail/All Mountain rider its a really good tire.

Favorite Trail:   Anything at Annadel

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Slant Six, Kenda Small Block Eight, Specialized fast trak, old WTB wolverines,

Bike Setup:   Epic Comp 29

Submitted by glen english

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2012

Strengths:    quite low rolling resistance for the grip.
heaps of grip and good response to unplanned turns (dry, hard/sandy)

Weaknesses:    None so far. moderate weight (700g for RACE version- COMP(880g) is way too heavy IMHO)

Bottom Line:
Front tire application- fast XC. dry. rubble, pine needles over hardpack, loose over HP . Removed kenda Small Block 8 and this tire produced immediate benefits. When called to grip in a tight situation in various conditions, like a 90 deg bend that appears out of nowhere - it just hangs on. I cannot fault this tire in the dry conditions I ride in. Fast, low rolling resistance. Tough wall. Feels like it floats a bit and unsure feeling on hardpack on a big fast sweeper. I look forward to trying the TCS version. This was RACE version (700g) (weighed in at 710g)

Submitted by shawn217 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2012

Strengths:    This tire is great in the sweeping turn, the transition from the center knobs the the side knobs is very smooth. It also has a lot of climbing bite.

Weaknesses:    I had to use a compressor to seat the bead.

Bottom Line:
This was my first 29er tire, but I can tell you this I used it in every condition for frozen ground to mud(I try to avoid mud it hurts the trails when it's to muddy.) and it hooked up in it all. When you lean onto the side knobs you never feel out of control. They feel like they have a lot of jump out of the corners. They are also very supple over rocks and roots. This are not tubeless ready but I'm running them tubeless w/Stan's.

Favorite Trail:   White clay-middle run Newark DE.

Purchased At:   Lbs

Similar Products Used:   Nevegal 2.1 26er, bontrager xdt 26er,

Bike Setup:   Intence tracer 29, cro29max, xt-Xtr mix w/xx brakes, noir t30s flat bar, Thomson seat post and 90 mm stem. Fox 120 front and fox rp23 rear.

Submitted by psuthe a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2012

Strengths:    handling, cornering - great front tire

Weaknesses:    Impossible to put on - destroyed 2 tire irons.

Bottom Line:
If you can get it on the rim, you'll love it. I find the tubeless and tubeless ready are damn near impossible to put on - even using the installation fluids.

Favorite Trail:   Big Rock Ridge

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   All of them

Bike Setup:   Niner Jet 9 RDO

Submitted by Blueboy a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2012

Strengths:    Excellent tyres that handle everything thrown at them.

Weaknesses:    None so far!

Bottom Line:
Was looking to replace the maxxis crossmarks which were getting past their best and I had never really been the biggest fan of in the mud which is pretty important riding in Scotland! Done a bit of research and decided to go with the Bronsons and wasn't disappointed, the grip is excellent even on wet roots and mud. The price was good as well. Have now been riding on them for 5 months in scottish winter and now summer conditions meaning I have pretty much thrown everything at them from snow to mud to dry hard packed from forest to rock to tarmac to trails and they have strolled them all. I use them on front and back and wouldn't use anything else now. Never had a single puncture yet either (watch that being the kiss of death!).

Favorite Trail:   all over scotland

Purchased At:   chain reaction

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis crossmarks

Bike Setup:   Hardtail , tubed.

Submitted by rufio a All Mountain Rider from Occoquan, VA

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2012

Strengths:    Great grip and surprisingly low rolling resistance. Very sturdy tire, I never worry about slashing a sidewall or any tire failure with these. The seat very well too. So far they seem to have pretty good wear life.

Weaknesses:    Very sturdy tire, so they are tough to install and remove when the time comes.

Bottom Line:
I have always loved WTB tires and these tires have made all the difference in my ride. These are the first high volume tires I have purchased for my 29er (originally running skinny XC tires) and they are so supple and grippy in all types of terrain. They are excellent in cornering, climbing and trucking on the flats. A great all around tire. I wasn't even concerned about the knob height or softness when I installed these, they are the perfect tire. The only thing I think I might change for myself would be getting a 1.9 for the rear for spooling up quicker on the climbs, because these puff up big, but that's a big "might" because these perform so well with my current setup. I'm running 2.2s front and rear and at this time I couldn't be happier. A great all around tire for all types of mountain biking.

Favorite Trail:   Fountainhead Regional

Similar Products Used:   WTB Weirwolfs and WTB Wolverines.

Bike Setup:   Surly Karate Monkey with KM Fork and singlespeed.

Submitted by boilermaker a Cross Country Rider from Athens, GA

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2012

Strengths:    Light for AM
Cornering
Traction
Tubeless setup
Looks
Mud shedding

Weaknesses:    None so far, possibly rolling resistance, but it's an AM tire so it comes with the territory.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line on these tires is that they are right on the money for what they are meant for: All Mountain riding at a XC pace.
I would start by saying these are not the TCS version, I think people are having trouble finding the 29er version, and the rear tire seated up and held air with just a floor pump, had to get the front with the compressor, and hold air fine with a couple cups full of Stan's. Now to the performance, first thing that I noticed was the cornering ability of these tires, they dig in really well with a simple lean, and really really corner well when you are putting pressure on the side knobs. The side knobs are big and burly and really do the trick. The center knobs make for an easier rolling tire than most this burly looking, and shed mud very well. I had used them a few times on the local stuff, Georgia roots, rocks and reggae and they did well. I haven't even broke loose with them on corners and didn't spin out on the climbs or on the roots. Then I gave them the ultimate test of of the Snake Creek Gap Time Trial which concludes with a 3 mile rock garden. The trail was slightly damp, but the tire did it's job well, again, cornering was super fun and the tires held up to the rocks and never lost traction on any of the techy rock pitches or washed out downhills. I'm running them on both front and rear. I had been eyeing some Nobby Nics, or Hans Dampf, but I am stoked I went with the WTB's, cheaper and just as good. We'll see in a while how they wear, but I've had some good luck with the 26er WTB's and expect them to wear, like a Weirwolf. In my opinion these tires are kind of a Weirwolf and Wolverine hybrid, which makes it schweeeet! Use these for All Mountain riding and burly XC.

Favorite Trail:   Pisgah!

Purchased At:   Treefort

Similar Products Used:   Conti Mountain King
Specialized Fast Track, Captain Control
Maxxis CrossMark

Bike Setup:   Giant Anthem X29, 120mm Reba, Arch Rims, Stan's Hubs, X9 all around, Thompson post, XT cranks, blah blah blah

Submitted by pa rider a Cross Country Rider from mechanicsburg pa

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2011

Strengths:    Seem to handle downhill rocky trails at high speed great

Weaknesses:    sidewall and knobs. i would say I may have got a bad batch of rubber compound.

Bottom Line:
Thought this tire felt heavy since it listed as 700 grams. Ran it as rear tire since I had nevegal on front. I felt it roll way better than the nevegal tire. Seem faster in sandy dirt than nevegal tire.

I was just breaking the tire in the pass summer when i ripped a knob of the side of tire leaving a 2" rip in sidewall (never came through tire thou). i only got 3 rides on the tire.

I threw the tire out since it didn't feel that great in the rocks. Evan at Rothrocks said WTB would replaced it since they got a 1 year guantee. I didn't bother because I read on this board other wtb tires having rubber issues.

i mainly ride slate rock trails and hard pack up at raystown. Our trails down michaux forest hard on equipment (atv, motor cross and a few bike build trails). I figure if it can't handle where I ride it not worth being on my bike.

Favorite Trail:   RCST raystown