Vittoria Barzo 29er Tire

The Barzo is still designed to be a fast-rolling tire. TNT tubeless ready, this tire is available in 27.5×2.1, 27.5×2.25, 29×2.1 and 29×2.25 sizes.

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2015

Strengths:    Traction high, rolling resistance and weight low, TNT casing (has been awesome on all previous TNT tires I've used, price (about 1/2 what some of the more popular tires run), easiest tubeless set up I've had

Weaknesses:    too soon to tell

Bottom Line:
I wanted to shave some weight and get a slightly different ride than my current tire set up was providing. I've been running Saguaro fr/AKA rr for about 2 years now, and while it was a great set up for SoCal loose over hard, I wanted something a little bit lighter and a little bit more consistant. The Saguaro has been my go to tire for years, and I run it on both mountain bikes (fr/rr on my trail bike). It seems a little bit "slippery" on some dusty trails, but that was my only real complaint with it, and it was never dangerous, just a polite warning that I was on the edge of its limits. The AKA hooks up incredibly well, and is all I ran on my SS rear. Problem with the AKA is it isn't as tough as I'd like. I can run Sagauros all year long with NO ISSUE on tread life or casing, but I've torn the tread on 2 AKAs, and they never last as long as the Saguaros, even with very light road (to the trail) use.

Enter the Barzo...similar intended use as the Saguaro, but a more open tread pattern that I hope allows them to dig in a bit better where the Saguaros would slip. They also weigh @ 120 grams less than the TNT Saguaro and 60 lighter than the TNT AKA (per Vittoria's site). I am not a weight weenie, but the tire swap and wheel swap (to Easton EC70 Trail...I posted a review on those as well) shaved 1 lbs off an already light bike.

Recent rain left the trails a little bit tacky, so today's ride probably wasn't a fair assesment, but damn are these good tires. They rolled fast on the climbs, even though I could feel the trail trying to hold on to them in a few sections. No mud stuck (there were only a few puddles left, and YES, the TRAILS WERE OPEN), but they definitely threw mud when I had to ride through it. The tires clearly dig in and bite, and the long climb (.7 miles @ 4.5%) up hardpack with some soggy sand and new ruts was a walk in the park. Never a hint of spin on the climbs or poor conditions, and when the trail turned down, well, that is what I really wanted these for.

In almost hero dirt, but on a trail with some recent water damage, I made great time down and the bike stayed firmly planted on a very rough/fast turn. For a rigid bike to not even slide a bit on a turn like that, the tires have to be doing something right. I was actually expecting a tiny bit of slip on a few sections (where I always slip my Saguaros in a very controllable manner) but the Barzos held on. Part of it may be due to the trail conditions, and part may be due to the new wheels, but I have no doubt that these tires can hold their own against any other XC/Light trail tire in SoCal conditions.

Overall I was very pleased with the new tire/wheel combo, setting a PR on a short sprint segment, and getting my second best time on a 10 mile loop...not bad in tacky conditions with new gear. I'll post any updates as I get more mileage on these, but I am already confident enough in them that I will be running them in the Filthy 50 in 3 weeks.

Favorite Trail:   PQ- San Diego

Duration Product Used:   New

Purchased At:   Bike Bling

Similar Products Used:   too many, but my latest have been Saguaros and AKAs for XC and most trail rides. Minions and Ardent for chunkier terrain and park riding

Bike Setup:   Trek Superfly Carbon Comp frame, Whisky 9 rigid carbon fork, Easton EC90 stem, EC70 Bars, EC90 bar ends,EC90 seat post, Selle Italia SLR saddle, EC70 Trail wheelset, Vittoria Barzo TNT 2.2 tires, XTR cranks and pedals, Wolf Tooth 44 tooth elliptical chain ring, 18 tooth cog, Paul tensioner (if I change cogs and lose my magic ratio)...18.5 lbs ready to ride.