Stans NoTubes Raven 29er Tire

4.1/5 (10 Reviews)

NoTubesThe Raven NoTubes is proudTo introduceThe newTubeless ready Raven. UsingThe same ultra fast rollingTread pattern and dual durometer rubber asThe Crow, but withTaller side knobs and wideTire casing for even betterTraction in all riding conditions. DesignedTo be used at low pressures Can be used withTubes orTubeless with Stan’sTire sealant Low rolling resistance design features dual compound rubber 29”Tire features extra strong folding bead design 120TPI casing has sev

Submitted by Jose a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2013

Strengths:    None that I noted.

Weaknesses:    Bad quality, sidewall holes, poor cornering, and no durability.

Bottom Line:
From the beginning, these tires took a long time to seal with the Stan's. They come with sidewall holes that make difficult to install them tubeless. Also the seal at the rim was difficult. Cornering was an issue with them. Finally the durability was very bad. These tires last only a few rides. One of them had a sidewall crack and I did not abused them.

Duration Product Used:   4 months.

Purchased At:   On line at Stan's no

Similar Products Used:   Saguaros, bontrager.

Bike Setup:   Tubeless ZTRs

Submitted by Farmer Ted

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2012

Strengths:    Light, supple, excellent traction in the right conditions

Weaknesses:    expensive

Bottom Line:
I came across a set of these for nearly nothing so I thought I'd check them out. I had previously been riding Kenda Small Block 8s on my 29er (for 1000 miles or so) and liked them. I had no problems mounting and sealing these with the Stan's sealant. For the desert dry/ hardpack/ rocky/ rooty riding I do in Northern Colorado, these tires are incredible. You wouldn't think so by looking at them but they have great traction and fantastic cornering grip. I find these have better cornering grip than the Kenda's I was running but part of that may be due to the lower pressure of the tubeless setup (I'm running 26 in the front and 29 in the rear) I don't ride my 29er in super technical situations (I have other bikes for that) but for fast hardpack to even very slightly loose conditions, these are awesome. I really hope they last a good long time as they are pretty pricey...I usually don't spend much on tires because in my area, the rocks tend to chew them up in a few hundred miles but, like I said, I don't ride this bike much in those conditions. I like these so much that I'm thinking about getting another set for my 26" xc bike. The reason I gave them 4 chilis for value is because of the price, the 4 chilis overall is because I haven't had them long enough to tell what the lifespan will be. If I can get 1500 miles out of them, I'll give them a 5 on both counts.

Submitted by Ruben Valouer a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2012

Strengths:    Fast, fast, fast, did I say fast yet? Very supple casing, stick very well with right air pressure and the right ground conditions. Super light, makes your wheels easier to spin up.

Weaknesses:    Traction is only a problem if you use these in the wrong conditions. DO NOT use in wet, loose muddy conditions - they are not designed for that. Took a while to hold air (even the sidewalls had pinholes from new), 3 days of pumping and shaking - but after that - perfect.

Bottom Line:
Love these tires for the right conditions. I have the 29x2.0 front and back, running them tubeless on my American Classic Race 29er wheels with 24PSI rear, 22PSI front. Frickin amazing grip!

I primarily ride cross country/all mountain, from tight single track to wide open fire roads, up and down my local Alberta Rocky Mountains. These tires do not let me down, I can feel them 'suck' up the roots as I lean into a corner. The low pressures allow the tire to roll 'through' - this allow me to lean into the corners and not worry about my tire losing contact and spilling me. Nice!

I probably have 50hrs on them now, of hard riding in the Rockies (steep up and down, tons of roots, some rocks), no burping, no cuts, no issues.

Can not say much on durability as I only have about 50hrs on them, but I will say, if the conditions are right I will run them on my next long distance race - 50KM Northface Rundles Revenge in June and for my 24HRs Race in 2 weeks later- I trust them!

Highly recommend for dry conditions only. I can not wait for my first XC Race of the season - hopefully its dry! I am positive I can cut 1min from each 15min lap just cause these tires are so much lighter and roll faster than last years Maxxis Ardents I was 'forced' to use - stupid me!

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere east of Calgary, AB

Purchased At:   Stans No Tubes

Similar Products Used:   Noby Nicks, Specialized tubless, Kenda Nevegal, Maxxis Ardent LUST, lots of others

Submitted by TreeFarmer a Cross Country Rider from Novi, Michigan

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2011

Strengths:    Low Rolling resistance, seals up easily for tubeless, great race tire

Weaknesses:    -Straight line braking, accelerating out of turns (see below)
-Spontaneous sidewall holes if inflated to 40 psi?

Bottom Line:
I'm a rider who constantly pushes the limits of my equipment, especially tires. I've ridden this tire as a front tire only for almost an entire year now across a wide range of conditions and I'm really happy with it. It's light, fast, and seems to be fairly durable. I've only had one puncture and the sealant took care of that pretty well.

The good:
This thing accelerates like nobody's business. It rolls so smoothly and fast I find myself pedaling less and braking more on my single speed. When I'm on smooth hardpack this tire rips. I've never had an issue with it sliding uncontrollably or losing confidence in good conditions. I can definitely see why people like it as a race tire for certain courses.

The not so good:
This tire is not designed or meant for sloppy or loose conditions. So, if you are cornering in mud, you better have a foot unclipped because it can drop you on your ear before you know it. The lack of aggressive knobs also means that if the trail is loose over hard or sandy, you'll experience quite a bit of wheel drift that while predictable still is unnerving.

I don't consider those to be drawbacks since the tire isn't designed for those situations. However, I do have some small issues with the straight line braking performance and accelerating out of corners. This may not be an issue for a suspension fork, but with a rigid fork there is no forgiveness and I feel every little slip and slide.

Simply put, if you are coming hot into a situation that requires really hard braking, the short center knobs will let you down. They just don't grab enough and wind up skidding. Also, as a front tire, when I'm accelerating out of the apex of a turn, I'll notice the tire becomes loose. For some reason it doesn't handle a dynamic change in loading real well.

Favorite Trail:   One with dirt

Purchased At:   Stans website

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis high roller SS, Continental race king

Bike Setup:   single speed rigid 69er, cause a squishy 69er is just no fun

Submitted by CC a Cross Country Rider from NORCAL

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2011

Strengths:    Light and have held up great. Roll very fast and climb fantastic!!!

Weaknesses:    I little sketchy on fast loose decents. Not first choice for a front for these reasons but I've been using it both F and R and have gotten used to it.

Bottom Line:
Have used these a year and they are still decent although they need to be replced now do to wear. Using them tubless with a Flow on the back and the stock Bontrager that came on the bike on the front. Not a single issue...will def. buy again. Only wish is that they were a bit less $$$, but having not a single prolem in a year it's worth it.

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager XDX

Bike Setup:   Fisher X-Cal

Submitted by BruceBrown a Racer from Iowa

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2011

Strengths:    This review is for the Raven 2.2 which I have run front and rear on a JET 9, RIP 9 and a Dos Niner for XC racing in the Midwest (Iowa, Minnesota, WORS). Super fast roller thanks to what feels like zero rolling resistance, light weight and surprising grip for dry and tacky conditions.

Weaknesses:    Wet conditions. Minimal tread will wear fast if you take them on pavement to and from trails.

Bottom Line:
I call these the Big Velcro tires when run tubeless - and especially on the wider profile XC rims like Flows or Blunts. The slightly taller side knobs over the Crow is enough for XC racing and the extra volume of the 2.2 provides enough of a contact patch to really give good traction front and rear. I had no issues with traction on the races where I have used them (Bone Bender, Scott County Park, Sugar Bottom, Chippewa Falls Firecracker, Border Battle, Mankato, etc...). On courses with more loose over hardpack, using a front tire with taller knobs while keeping the Raven 2.2 on the rear has been an excellent combination as well.

Fun tire that is surprising for the traction when set up tubeless and you dial in a good air pressure front and rear.

Purchased At:   Notubes.com

Similar Products Used:   Crows and Aspens in terms of minimal tread, Race King 2.2 in terms of volume.

Bike Setup:   JET 9, RIP 9, Dos Niner (Crest rims, Flow rims, Blunt rims)

Submitted by Don Duende a Cross Country Rider from Eastern Sierra, USA

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2010

Strengths:    Light weight and good grip on climbs. No durability problems in the short term.

Weaknesses:    Loses grip in high speed corners on loose trails. What tire doesn't? But more so than knobby tires on my 26er.

Bottom Line:
Light and fast tire. Grip is much better then expected from the low profile knobs. Holding up well on our rocky local trails.

Favorite Trail:   Rim Trail

Purchased At:   Custom Wheel Build

Similar Products Used:   This is my first 29er tire.

Bike Setup:   Access XCL 29er Hardtail, Maitou Minute fork, XT cranks, XT calipers, XT deraileurs, Stan's Crest rims, American Classic hubs.

Submitted by dwilson a Racer from Kansas City

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2010

Strengths:    Fast rolling tire. Works very well with low psi. Excellent all around traction. My new race tire of choice.

Weaknesses:    Could be loose on loose (gravel like) terrain, but then what tire isn't.

Bottom Line:
I gambled taking this tire to Syllamo's Revenge last weekend due to the race being wet and only have had raced on dry dusty single track prior. Anyone who has raced this venue knows that when wet its not the dirt (mud) that's the problem but the limestone that gets dangerously slick, and there is lots of it. I set pressures low, about 20-22psi risking rim strikes and hoped for the best. What a surprise, they stuck like glue, although the rock was still treacherous, the overall wet performance was outstanding. I have always thought that no tire works great in mud, and excessive knob's only reduce surface area (these aren't dirt bikes with a throttle) and clog up. The last loop of the race was dry and there was slippage on the loose stuff, but nothing that could not be managed with a change in riding style. No rim strikes, no flats or burps. Excellent race tire.

Favorite Trail:   Swope

Purchased At:   Net

Similar Products Used:   Hutch Pythons last years race tire - not a bad tire but definitely not as fast as the Ravens

Bike Setup:   Niner SIR 9 SS. AC wheels.

Submitted by mtnbiker72 a Weekend Warrior from Republic of Cascadia

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2009

Strengths:    Very fast rolling, lightweight, works tubeless perfectly, surprising traction

Weaknesses:    If I purchased them new $57 a tire is absurd, braking traction

Bottom Line:
For the 29"x2.2" tire these are actually a good trail tire for hardpack to loamy trails. I am constantly amazed at how much cornering traction these have. I'm 220lbs and run them at 27psi with zero issues. They provide a nice ride and have so far proven to be quite durable.

They lack a little in braking traction, but since I use my front brake way more it hasn't been that much of an issue.

As far as value...any bicycle tire over $50 is absurd so their current asking price is a bit over the top

Favorite Trail:   Stella

Purchased At:   Traded for them

Similar Products Used:   IRC Mythos II 29er

Bike Setup:   Access XCL 9er

Submitted by ExigeS a Cross Country Rider from Columbia, Maryland

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2009

Strengths:    Low weight, corner well, fast rolling, hold up well in rock gardens.

Weaknesses:    grip while breaking, price

Bottom Line:
I ride Raven 2.0 front and back on my 29 ZTR RACE rims. I have 2 sets of wheels and these are my race wheels. My impressions are these are a very fast race tire/rim combination with good traction in dry and tacky conditions. I have to admit that I am often surprised at how well these tires corner. I find myself thinking “oh no” I am going too fast for this turn but am able to hammer through it with no problems. The only issue I have with these tires is when fast breaking while turning sharp corners and while at high speeds in a straight line. In these situations I feel the rear tire break loose quite often and slide more than other nobbiers tires that I use for most of my riding. BUT, this is to be expected as I feel you need to give something up to have such a fast light tire. For the record I am 150 lbs and run 27psi rear and 24 psi front in my Ravens. And tubeless.

Two weeks ago I ran was my first race on my Stans Raven 2.0 tires with the Stans 29er Race rims and I was very impressed. I was skeptical on how the Raven would holdup in the rock gardens but they did an awesome job! They tracked well, cornered well, no flats, etc. When I first saw all the mud on of the descents I though oh sh!t my tires aren't going to do well in this section BUT they tracked very well, so well I passed someone on each lap during this decent! Now that could also be because of my full suspension Jet but I like to think the tires had a lot to do with it also.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco