Specialized The Captain Grid UST 29er Tire

3.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Lightweight UST XC Trail performance - hardpack/intermediate/loose conditions. With fast-rolling center knobs for exceptional transition and edge knobs to attack any trail, the Captain Gid is the perfect tire for control and predictability.
  • GRID technology offers the ultimate in UST-like durability, without the need for sealant
  • Casing: 60 TPI
  • Bead: Aramid
  • Center Compound: 70a / Shoulder Compound: 60a
  • UST light construction
  • 29" x 2.0 approx. weight NA, PSI: 35-65*
  • 29" x 2.2 approx. weight NA, PSI: 35-65*
  • *Not available in all markets

Submitted by Chuck A a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2015

Strengths:    Tough all purpose tire. Plenty of rubber along the center of the tire for long wear and very quiet on the pavement. The case and sidewalls are a bit thick, but after 1000 miles, I've not had a single flat.

Weaknesses:    Heavy and stiff, even at lower pressure. If you're looking for a fast tire, this may not be the best choice.

Bottom Line:
My bike came with Ground Control tires and from the start, they were a bit noisy on pavement, which is where I ride the most. The Captain has closely spaced lugs in the center of the tread and the center lugs are a slightly harder rubber compound. They are quiet and fairly low rolling resistance on pavement and handle pretty well for my riding style and ability. I have thick (heavy) thorn resistant tubes and have never had a flat. In my part of Arizona, I deal with thorns, cactus needles sharp ricks and of course occasionally some broken glass, so I don't mind the extra weight. I've been running these tires for 8 months or so and they show no signs of wear. These tires work perfectly for me, but your mileage may vary.

Favorite Trail:   Ford Canyon in the White Tanks

Purchased At:   AZ Cyclery

Submitted by Bad Bob a Weekend Warrior from phoenix AZ.

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2011

Strengths:    This tire is tough, Slow but tough. If you are into downhill racing and have 12 inches of travel front and rear this is the tire for you.

Weaknesses:    I just put 800 miles on Bontrager team issue tires 29x2.25.
I ran them at 30psi and they were part of my suspension.
I put these tires on and my bike it felt like I had no suspension! Ran them from 45 to 22Psi.like riding on rims.Over about 15mph watch out on rocks. They bounce off the rocks don't go over them. this makes for a slow out of control ride.I don't like these tires at all.The side walls on these tires are so stiff even with only 22psi in them they don't give.

Bottom Line:
If your into downhill racing you may like this tire but I'm not sure because the sidewalls are so stiff and thick. I don't like them at all. They make my bike ride like I have no suspension at all and they are slow.

Favorite Trail:   Dreamey Draw