Specialized The Captain Control 2Bliss Ready 29er Tire

High-end XC/Trail performance - hardpack/intermediate/loose conditions. Fast-rolling center knobs for exceptional transition and edge knobs to attack any trail. 420/D1 Control Casing improves cut resistance and is 2Bliss ready.
  • 420/D1 Control Casing increases puncture and cut resistance
  • Shoulder Compound: 60a
  • 2Bliss ready
  • 29" x 2.0 approx. weight 670g, PSI: 35-65*
  • 29" x 2.2 approx. weight 730g, PSI: 35-65*
  • *Not available in all markets

Submitted by SlickWilly8019 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2012

Strengths:    2Bliss ready, extremely hard to put on and even harder to get off. My reason for this as a strength is it will not roll off if you suddenly lose air pressure due to a large puncture that doesn't seal up right away, you don't want something that is easy to put on because its easy to come off as well. It was a fight to pull it off the rim to add more sealant.

Doesn't wash out in the Arizona desert silt or gravel very easily, climbs very well and for light DH work into a gully and up a hill it is steady.

Bottom Line:
Today was the day that I found out just how durable the casing is. I was afraid that the thin casing would pinch flat in the following circumstance. My first large puncture was roughly an 1/8" diameter hole I got while in a rock garden I had to pedal 500 yards on a few pounds of air until I could get to decent ground, the tire even though it was kicking the rear of my bike around like I was on ice, would not roll off the rim nor break the seal. This tire in addition to the large 1/8" hole has a total of 7 thorns/holes in it all sealed up with Stans.

Initial break in was fun, I had to dump my shoes out several times because I run this as my rear tire on the Marlin, it picks up dirt and sand as if I should be taking it home to fill in a hole. Little rocks and pebbles are constantly picked up and flicked around. I have about 100 miles on the tire and it looks like there is at least 1000 miles of life if not more, so long as I don't ride on the pavement with it, I expect it to last a long time.

I run about 24 psi in this tire for my rear and as much as 40 psi if I am commuting to the trail on pavement at which point when I reach the trail head it gets aired down to about 30 psi in case I have to run through a thorn patch to avoid on coming off road vehicles but no less than 24psi.

Not a weight weenie i don't care how much it weighs it does the job I require of it.

I will buy another one of these tires if this one ever becomes useless.

Favorite Trail:   White Tank Mountains

Purchased At:   AZCyclery GlendaleAZ

Bike Setup:   2012 Trek Marlin, Bonny 29-3 TLR Front, Specy The Captain Control 2Bliss Ready rear, MiliTec1 permanent dry lube on chain

The Captain Control 2Bliss Ready Tire

Anyone have experience with this tire? Looking for a good all round race and trail tire and these seem to fit the bill. Also anyone know how they roll compared to a saguaro> Thanks :thumbsup: !Read More »