Specialized S-Works Renegade 29er Tire

4.56/5 (9 Reviews)

World-class competitive XC performance - hardpack to intermediate conditions. XC World Champion Christoph Sauser once again challenged our engineers to come up with a new tire—one that's superlight and 2Bliss Ready, with a fast-rolling tread design that maintains traction in climbing, cornering, and braking. The resulting Renegade will be tearing up the World Cup circuit this year.
  • Casing: 120 TPI
  • Bead: Aramid
  • Compound: 60a
  • Butyl wrapped bead = 2Bliss Ready
  • 29" x 1.95; psi 3565; approx. weight 450g

Submitted by MultiRider

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2014

Strengths:    Lightweight, fast rolling, surprisingly good traction

Weaknesses:    Not for all mountain riding - too little traction, seem fragile

Bottom Line:
My new Spec Epic came with this on the rear. I immediately took it off because the courses that I race require some traction in the rear and have a lot of rocks which could shred the sidewall.

Recently, I planned to race a course that had few to no rocks and traction would not be an issue. I put the Renegade on because it seemed like the perfect tire. I ended up riding it a few times before the race on some "normal" trails - loose, rocks, roots, etc. I was blown away by the traction and the compliance. And it didn't end up with a sidewall slice in spite of numerous side impacts on rocks.

It's not an all-mountain tire, but it provides far more traction than it looks like it should and it held up to a couple of pretty abusive rock-garden-infested rides.

Submitted by machine4321

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2014

Strengths:    Light weight
Rolling resistance
Easy to seat on stans with floor pump.
Nice supple casing
Surprising amount of traction

Weaknesses:    Thin sidewalls could be an issue for some
price as it is hard to find them on any sort of sales online.
mud traction obviously isnt the best.

Bottom Line:
I got these brand new with a used wheel set I bought. I really didnt think I had the skill to run these as a front and rear but I must say they are incredible. These are the 1.95 and although they are not the biggest volume out there they work great for me. I have yet to find the limit on dry hard pack. The rear grips way beyond what I though would have been possible for a minimal knob tire. The front grips well if the weight is shifted to the right place. I did have a front washout on a high speed corner but the was some damp mud that I didnt account for, had I have adjusted my body position I might have made it.

I have to run a bit more pressure in these as the casing and side walls are so plyable. I normally run 24psi in my snakeskin ralphs, sworks like to be a tad higher in the rear(26-28) Front seems to do well at 25psi for me (170lbs)

These are my new go to race tire, in fact I have been using them as dailys untill I get used to them and they handle every thing but any kind of thick mud. As soon as the mud is passes they grip right away.

Seat super easy on my stans crest with a floor pump.

So far im am very pleased with the tires I have used from specialized and will continue to try others. There prices for sworks are reasonable compared to some other brands reaching 90.00. the down side is those 90.00 tire can be found on line at time for very good deals. specialized not so much.

Submitted by Aaron

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2013

Strengths:    Fast
Handles very well
lightweight

Weaknesses:    None I can think of

Bottom Line:
This is one of the best tires I've ever ridden. It's fast and light. It is also a very comfortable ride. I ride this on the front of a 96er rigid bike and I haven't found another tire that is any better. I don't have a ton of miles on it yet so I can't say anything about tread wear or sidewall punctures, but after all it is a lightweight race tire.

Submitted by Spencer a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2012

Strengths:    Very light.
Seals easy when running tubeless
low rolling resistance
predictable in corners

Weaknesses:    lack of traction in wet conditions.

Bottom Line:
I have put 500 miles so far on these tires as a weekend warrior and an occasional racer. I have tried many other tires and have found none that have compared to these for there overall performance. Specialized tires are the easiest I have found to setup tubeless, and hold air very well. The tires are an instant performance upgrade above any other tire I have tried. They roll super fast and have very predictable cornering. I would highly recommend these for fast XC riding.

Purchased At:   Pumpkinvine Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Several models from WTB, Swalbe, Maxxis, and Specialized

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper Expert

Submitted by brcjacks

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2012

Strengths:    Light, low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    puncture easy. Lots of flats from thorns. The knobs are very low profile (short) so they don't stop much from reaching the sensitive part of the tire.

Bottom Line:
Definitely a fast roller. Climbs great and rarely breaks free. My only real complaints as all the puncture flats I started getting after moving to this tire and the washout factor. It seems that once you lose traction in a corner it's very unlikely you'll recover. I've done 5 races on these tires and I think it's time to try something different.

Submitted by Alan C.

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2012

Strengths:    Extremely fast, Climbing, Corning, Responsive

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet.

Bottom Line:
I've been running this tire for the rear for approx. 5 months. As an avid rider/racer, I just recently replaced it with both front and rear renegades. Set it up with stans rims and ride your bike. It sealed up no problem with stans no tubes and I lose less than a psi per ride (3+ hours). I can't say enough about this tire. It is instant performance.

Submitted by joshy7 a Cross Country Rider from victoria, australia

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2011

Strengths:    lightweight, pretty gripy for weight, not the thinest sidewalls out there, super easy to setup tubeless just a little sealant and a floor pump on stans rims.

Weaknesses:    price, availability,

Bottom Line:
If I could have baby's with a tyre this would be it.
Not cheap but i would pay more if I had too for this kind of performance.
I'm about 90kg and the tyre seams to be holding up fine, never used specialised tyres before but now I'm gonna try some of there other 29 inch models