Specialized S-Works Renegade 29er Tire

4.43/5 (7 Reviews)

World-class competitive XC performance - hardpack to intermediate conditions. XC World Champion Christoph Sauser once again challenged our engineers to come up with a new tire—one that's superlight and 2Bliss Ready, with a fast-rolling tread design that maintains traction in climbing, cornering, and braking. The resulting Renegade will be tearing up the World Cup circuit this year.
  • Casing: 120 TPI
  • Bead: Aramid
  • Compound: 60a
  • Butyl wrapped bead = 2Bliss Ready
  • 29" x 1.95; psi 3565; approx. weight 450g

Submitted by Aaron

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2013

Strengths:    Fast
Handles very well
lightweight

Weaknesses:    None I can think of

Bottom Line:
This is one of the best tires I've ever ridden. It's fast and light. It is also a very comfortable ride. I ride this on the front of a 96er rigid bike and I haven't found another tire that is any better. I don't have a ton of miles on it yet so I can't say anything about tread wear or sidewall punctures, but after all it is a lightweight race tire.

Submitted by Spencer a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2012

Strengths:    Very light.
Seals easy when running tubeless
low rolling resistance
predictable in corners

Weaknesses:    lack of traction in wet conditions.

Bottom Line:
I have put 500 miles so far on these tires as a weekend warrior and an occasional racer. I have tried many other tires and have found none that have compared to these for there overall performance. Specialized tires are the easiest I have found to setup tubeless, and hold air very well. The tires are an instant performance upgrade above any other tire I have tried. They roll super fast and have very predictable cornering. I would highly recommend these for fast XC riding.

Purchased At:   Pumpkinvine Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Several models from WTB, Swalbe, Maxxis, and Specialized

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper Expert

Submitted by brcjacks

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2012

Strengths:    Light, low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    puncture easy. Lots of flats from thorns. The knobs are very low profile (short) so they don't stop much from reaching the sensitive part of the tire.

Bottom Line:
Definitely a fast roller. Climbs great and rarely breaks free. My only real complaints as all the puncture flats I started getting after moving to this tire and the washout factor. It seems that once you lose traction in a corner it's very unlikely you'll recover. I've done 5 races on these tires and I think it's time to try something different.

Submitted by Alan C.

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2012

Strengths:    Extremely fast, Climbing, Corning, Responsive

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet.

Bottom Line:
I've been running this tire for the rear for approx. 5 months. As an avid rider/racer, I just recently replaced it with both front and rear renegades. Set it up with stans rims and ride your bike. It sealed up no problem with stans no tubes and I lose less than a psi per ride (3+ hours). I can't say enough about this tire. It is instant performance.

Submitted by joshy7 a Cross Country Rider from victoria, australia

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2011

Strengths:    lightweight, pretty gripy for weight, not the thinest sidewalls out there, super easy to setup tubeless just a little sealant and a floor pump on stans rims.

Weaknesses:    price, availability,

Bottom Line:
If I could have baby's with a tyre this would be it.
Not cheap but i would pay more if I had too for this kind of performance.
I'm about 90kg and the tyre seams to be holding up fine, never used specialised tyres before but now I'm gonna try some of there other 29 inch models

Similar Products Used:   racing ralph, crossmark, aspen, raceking

Bike Setup:   hardtail 29er

Submitted by David f a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, ca, us

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2011

Strengths:    Very fast, better traction than you think, light.

Weaknesses:    Climbing & braking traction, will not hold air when set up tubeless

Bottom Line:
Great speed, decent traction. Another product that promises something and doesn't deliver. Specialized claims this tire and many others can be set up tubeless but this one and many others don't seem to hold air. I've talked to many people including bike mechanics that warned me to stay away from specialized tires. Their downhill tires rock though.

Favorite Trail:   Demo forest

Similar Products Used:   Just about every tire out there.

Bike Setup:   Specialized epic 29er

Submitted by taskforce4414 a Cross Country Rider from Montreal

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2011

Strengths:    Ultra light tires (450g) Suprsingly grippy for a race tire. FAst rolling and great cornering.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Very fast tire with good control in various conditions but best on hardpack.
Good control in the sand
Verry light tire.