Specialized Ground Control 2Bliss Ready 29er Tire

4.67/5 (6 Reviews)

Submitted by joebreez a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2014

Strengths:    Rolls well, great traction

Weaknesses:    none found

Bottom Line:
I rode these on a demo bike in Sedona, so it was one day of riding.
Overall very impressive tire in desert conditions, very predictable up front. Great cornering and braking and in back great traction as well. They roll pretty quickly and seemed like they should hold up to some abuse.
Would love to see how these would hold up back East. Seemed as predictable as my Rampage up front.
I ride fairly aggressively so was impressed by performance.

Favorite Trail:   hiline,Sedona

Similar Products Used:   Many 29er tires tried and not many liked due to slow rolling or poor perfomance.
Rampage(front only) gets a thumbs up, as well as 29-4 bonty.
Rubena Kratos(solid) and Fire pro XC-fantastic-needs more volume

Bike Setup:   Rumblefish

Submitted by Justin a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2013

Strengths:    Long Lasting, predictable drift, good feel, low rolling resistance, reasonable weight (710 g actual weight), hard pack, loose over hard pack (see review)

Weaknesses:    The 2.3 is really a 2.2

Bottom Line:
I am about 200lbs and ride in the central coast area (Santa Barbara - SLO) and the terrain is typically hard pack clay with loose rocks of various sizes mixed in with beach (sugar) sand patches. I have used the Ground Control tire as a front and rear tire for about one year. The only other 29er tires that I have experience with are the stock 29-2s (2.1) that came with my bike. This tire grips worlds better than my stock tires and I have not noticed a significant increase in rolling resistance, only a very slight drag feeling due to the increased width and softer compound rubber. The transitions from left to right are very smooth and the very large amount transition knobs let you feel exactly where you are at on the tire. This allowed me to learn to corner better and when I reached the limits, it was controllable on loose over hard, but not as controllable on hard pack only. As that is objective, I am just saying the limit was announced better on the loose over hard pack so you can prepare for the drift. Where I found the GC lacking was when the loose rocks were bigger than marbles on fast descents. That is the only reason I ended up with a Purg in the front. If I never encountered the larger loose stuff, I would be happy running the GC in front with maybe a Fast Trak in the back. Also, I am happy with the contact patch especially considering the narrow (622 x 17) Bontrager AT-850 rims they are mounted on. The casing is thicker than my previous tires and feels much better. I found the sweet spot for me to be front at 28psi and rear at 32psi. Lastly, this review is based on running the tire tubed the entire time.

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   Pedal Power Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager 29-2

Bike Setup:   Trek Marlin (Purgatory Front/Ground Control Rear)

Submitted by gthaines

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2013

Strengths:    Tread pattern and sizes

Weaknesses:    slightly narrow

Bottom Line:
Works great as a fast rolling, great climbing, good braking, relatively light rear tire. 2.3 is still visibly narrower than my 2.2 nobby nic. I would compare to maxxis ardent. 55$ for a tubeless ready tire isn't ridiculously priced either. large side treads, and larger ramped (but low profile) center treads should hold up better in the rocks than my previous tire.

Submitted by TiGeo a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2012

Strengths:    Great rear tire...awesome traction w/low rolling resistance. Sets up tubeless easy. Not too heavy.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This is a great rear tire...not sure how it would work on the front...me thinks not as well as some others just by the look of the tread design..it just doesn't say "front" to me. Its durable in the control casing and I never had a burp.

Favorite Trail:   Scout Camp

Duration Product Used:   11 mos.

Purchased At:   Olde Towne Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Lots of different tires.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper EVO 29 HT

Submitted by bulerias a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2012

Strengths:    Good all rounder. Well made. Light for what it accomplishes.

Weaknesses:    Nothing yet.

Bottom Line:
While I've never been a big fan of Specialized tires in the past, the design of this one seemed pretty logical. So far I've only used it on the front but it seems like the sort of tire that would work at either end. I like the edge knob buttressing which keeps them from falling over - a pet peeve here in sidehill country - and the centre pattern is fast and smooth rolling. The transition from upright to leaned is quite linear.

It's hard to get excited about a tire that doesn't do any particular thing exceptionally well, but maybe just having no aggravating weak spots is what you're supposed to get excited about. I suppose really deep loose or sand is iffy but unless you go to a really tall knob - heavy and noisy - that is a given.

A no surprises tire; I'd buy again.

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe Racing Ralph, Specialized Captain and Rampage, Maxxis Ardent, Kenda Nevgal and Slant Six.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic Comp 29

Submitted by rich

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2012

Strengths:    Pretty dang good roller for the traction it gives. sheds mud pretty good

Weaknesses:    I hate to compare, but it does not have the braking power of the onstage xc pro, but it is a faster, lighter, tire. It does skip on wet rocks and roots.

Bottom Line:
I actually have been quite pleased with the quality of this tire so far. It's just a solid tire