Specialized Fast Trak 29er Tire

3.14/5 (21 Reviews)

Specialized Fast Trak 29 x 2.0"

Submitted by Marcin

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2014

Strengths:    very good

Weaknesses:    very good

Bottom Line:
very good

Submitted by Jens Møller

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2014

Strengths:    Looks prototype, doesn't weigh a lot

Weaknesses:    The worst tire I have ever ridden on, 5 flats in two days, first ride i dry forest singletrail, second with my 8 year old son, very calm ride. Never again

Bottom Line:
Dont buy, unless staying on the pavement.

Submitted by Aaron Sirtoli a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2014

Strengths:    Light weight, fast rolling on hard pack, and good traction on hardpack.

Weaknesses:    Very weak sidewalls, terrible on rocks, roots, and mud (so pretty much useless for mountain biking at least where I live).

Bottom Line:
I was told by a Specialized dealer that this was a superb tire that would not go flat frequently, and that was ideal for XC racing. I had heard some negative reviews about the sidewalls being weak on the tire, and asked the dealer about this, and he assured me that it would be fine. On my first race with this tire, the sidewall blew when I hit a rock (I was running tubeless)! These tires were expensive, and I was only able to use them three times. I will not buy Specialized tires again.

Bike Setup:   Carbon hard tail 29er

Submitted by Rick

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2012

Strengths:    Very good on paved road or paved bike trails, Good on simple, non-technical, not too steep trail and dirt.

Weaknesses:    Only used this summer, so full understanding may be limited. I found myself less confident and uncertain in steeper, rockier, more technical climbs. I am very tentative with these tires on downhill. Have Rocket Rons 2.25, far more confident
in downhill and varied terrain.

Bottom Line:
If you are a non-aggressive rider who may be as much road as easy dirt, this would be a good tire. I noted the benefits at 50 psi keeping closer to my '"rodie" friends and had the option to go off road. On road its smooth and fast. Off road, I feel it has limitations in climbs, more technical or handling in some unpredictable downhill ( makes me nervous). I think while I do modest balanced rides I will continue to use this. However, if I am going to do some real dirt for awhile, will swap out for my Rocket Rons.

Bike Setup:   Scott Spark 29er aluminum medium

Submitted by suzemh

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2012

Strengths:    This tire has performed for me in variable conditions on my single speed. Particularly like the traction on loose rocky terrain - on Saturday I rode up some heinous wash out and had no problems. We are in the middle of monsoon and I find the tires handle wet roots and slick clay well. I have no complaints. Loved my Schwalbe Rocket Rons, but they were more prone to flatting out on the trail than the Fast Trak - sidewalls are a little beefier, but not by much. Overall it is good tire, although the next time around I may be in the market for something else.

Weaknesses:    Very wet conditions can be a little sketchy, but then again, mountain biking in the rain can be sketchy, so you kind of go with the flow and stay on top of your bike.

Bottom Line:
They work - isn't that what matters. I have ridden a lot of different tires, and they all have their good and bad qualities. If the tire works in your most common conditions then why gripe about it. The Fast Traks works, the Rocket Rons worked. I am always looking for a light, durable tire that accommodates my single speed and my OCD approach to keeping it light. I find with any tire that is tubeless, you are constantly checking the tire pressure - so it has become a habit to pull out he pump and add in 5lbs of pressure before I ride. NBD.

Submitted by thumper07

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2012

Strengths:    Fast roller, light, good hardpack traction

Weaknesses:    mud, light mud, heavy mud...............any mud. Side walls

Bottom Line:
Impressed by their hardpack traction and light weight but as soon as it starts drizzling out my mountain bike ride turns into a snow sledding ice skating adventure. Once one gets used to it though, it's not bad at all and a worthwhile trade-off. The problem is that, as many other have mentioned, the sidewall strength. I ride in the sand and I still manage to slice the sidewalls, and not from pinching either. The rubber is so soft and the threads are so thin that it doesn't take much. I guess that's the price we pay for ultra light weight. I'm not sure what but I'm going to try something else.

Submitted by PeT

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2012

Strengths:    Rolls fast, adequate to good rear tire

Weaknesses:    cuts easily

Bottom Line:
The tire has worked well-enough for me as a rear, but both tires I've had have cut on the sidewall very quickly, so I've gone back to the more durable Maxxis and WTB tires there. They get cycled through occasionally on a spare wheel (managed to patch the sidwall with a tube patch and they've held up nicely. They setup with ghetto tubeless okay. The knobs on the outer edge of the tread are completely worthless and just add weight -- they're too far out to ever be engaged by the ground even with the most radical lean angle or even when riding across a steep slope -- presumably there for looks? Certainly not for function...

Submitted by jkrispies a Cross Country Rider from Palmdale, CA

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2011

Strengths:    Good all-around commuter/weekend warrior tread

Weaknesses:    Lousy in Mud and washout-type sand

Bottom Line:
A good tire, particularly for the commuter who spends most of his time on the road and only hits the trails in fair weather. Very good roller on pavement... which convinces me that it's a better road tire than trail tire. Perfect tire for my wife to pull the kid in a trailer around the neighborhood for exercise and then ride with me on easy trails on the weekends-- it's on her bike and we're very happy with it there. On mine, where I spend 80% of my mileage on cross country trails... not so much. In other words, it's perfect for the three-quarters of folks who buy an off-road bike that eventually ends up spending its working life on boardwalk rides at the beach and then rusting in the garage. Since I've only run these during the dry months, my opinion may quickly change when winter hits, but at this point I'm not actively looking to swap these tires until they wear out. When that time comes, I will most likely replace them with Specialized Armadillo Purgatory tires for greater off-road grip.

Purchased At:   Came With Bike

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hardrock; Time ATAC w/ Sette shoes

Submitted by Blue Sugar a Cross Country Rider from Middletown, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2011

Strengths:    Roll fast, light, decent traction for a fast tire.

Weaknesses:    Weak sidewall.

Bottom Line:
Pretty good as a front tire, not so good as a rear. They're light and fast, more of a race tire than an XC trail tire. Tread holds up alright, but too flimsy for rough trails. Good traction on moist, loamy soil but not on dry. Cut open the sidewall after about 3 months. I'm going to try something else.

Purchased At:   Berlin Bike

Similar Products Used:   WTB Exiwolf, WTB Weirwolf LT, WTB Wolverine

Bike Setup:   2010 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29.

Submitted by Hill-Pumper a Cross Country Rider from Willamitte Vally OR

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2011

Strengths:    Rolls fast, light, great for hard pack.

Weaknesses:    Not a mud tire, leaks air when set up tubeless.

Bottom Line:
If these had not came with my bike, I would not have used them. For a tire that is suppose to tubeless they require constant pump ups. They do however work well in hard pack and the street if that is all you do. I have had these wash out in wet corners enough that I would not use them in anything but absolutely dry conditions, which is not very often here in Oregon.

Favorite Trail:   Too many to list

Purchased At:   Peak Sports

Similar Products Used:   IRD Fire XC Pro

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

Submitted by dgriff a Weekend Warrior from Louisville, KY

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2010

Strengths:    lightweight

Weaknesses:    Sidewalls.

Bottom Line:
I figured out how they kept this tire so light, they simply shaved all the rubber reinforcement off the sidewalls..This is the only tire I've owned that has had two sidewall punctures....

Similar Products Used:   Mountain Kings 2.2

Bike Setup:   XC

Submitted by sixteenstone96 a Racer from rockford

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2010

Strengths:    super light grip really well

Weaknesses:    3 flats in 3 days (tubed) tread design throws everything up and at the rider pretty annoying

Bottom Line:
my tires were the s works made to be super light so keep that in mind as i say durability is kinda lacking (easy to puncture, beads coming apart after 3 months) but to build a light bike they are def helpful. tread design grips well but id like to see an update to address the way they throw gravel and sand at the rider.

Similar Products Used:   random hutchinson, irc, continentals, bontragers

Submitted by theRJ a Cross Country Rider from Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2009

Strengths:    Great rolling speed. Okay grip for my local conditions. No flats of any kind (265lb rider) Wearing pretty well.

Weaknesses:    Can get a little squirrely in mud and in deep, wet walking path gravel

Bottom Line:
These tires have not let me down. They have taken me for a combined 1500+km mixed trail and road riding without a single flat. Considering my weight I find that very impressive. They are down to about half of the original tread and I am going to replace them this season. Unless someone tells me otherwise I plan on buying them again.

I am mostly a fair weather rider so my reports on grip are for mainly hardpack and dry gravel. The few times I have been out in wet conditions (including a major climb up a dirt trail in a torrential downpour) the grip has been there for me. But If I made muck riding a habit I would definitely choose another tire.

5 for value since they came on the bike and 5 overall for no spills, no flats and good life (IMHO)

Favorite Trail:   Credit River ADM - Dundas

Purchased At:   Came on Bike

Bike Setup:   '08 RH Comp Disc 29'er

Submitted by Natedogz a Cross Country Rider from NorCal

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2009

Strengths:    This review is for the standard issue Fast Trak 29x2.0" wire bead tire.

It's a FAST roller, great all-around traction.

Weaknesses:    Could use a 29x2.2" or 2.3" version for use in rocks and roots. The 2.0" width doesn't give much cushion on nasty trails. I've ridden this tire through most every condition and it even handles mud although not like a mud tire. In snotty/greasy mud this tire is no good at all....but no surprise.

Bottom Line:
Great all-around tire that is fast rolling and corners well. Even the wire bead version that came on my bike (about 800 grams) is a good performer. Mine have several scrapes from rocks on the sidewalls, but no tears or punctures. Handles hardpack, loose over hardpack, pavement, gravel, moist dirt, sandy/gritty mud and the occasional snotty mud spot....but they are squirrely when you hit the slimy mud! So you have to be ready.

Great all-around tire for not too much $$$ as long as you don't ride in lots of slimy mud and/or decomposed leaves.

Favorite Trail:   singletrack

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Same tire in 26"....which was alot worse...the 29er version has surprised me nicely.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Rockhopper Disc 29er with some mods.

Submitted by epxhammerhead a Cross Country Rider from athens, ga, usa

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2008

Strengths:    roll well. corner well. ridden on dry and moist dirt only.

Weaknesses:    none so far. don't ride in mud, so don't know about how they'd do there, but isn't a mud tire as far as i can tell from they knob height.

Bottom Line:
like them, roll fast, i weigh 195 so use 45-50 psi and this is fine, haven't tried low pressures

Favorite Trail:   ft yargo winder , ga

Purchased At:   came on bike

Similar Products Used:   favorite tire is the 29" velociraptor.....not the fastest, but great grip and directional control...esp. the front tire.

Bike Setup:   niner emd9, xt, am. classic wheels, hayes hyd. brakes, thomson stem/post, ritchey carbon bar, wtb seat

Racing Ralph vs Rocket Ron vs..... Spec Fast Trak - my experience

This is just my experience and opinion with these 29er tires, so YMMV of course, but I wanted to start this thread because people (including myself) are always debating between the Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron as a front tire for XC racing. I like them both, but have found a new favorite - the Speci ... Read More »

Holy Roller, Race King, Fast Trak LK ... any others in this class?

Hi: wondering which of these might be best compromise for rolling resistance and traction between pavement and hard-pack for a 29er. Also, is therefore something else out there I should be considering that could outperform these? Many thanks!Read More »

Replacement for Fast Trak

Looking for a new rear tire as my Fast Trak is looking pretty worn and I almost busted a rib this morning when the back slipped out. My bike is used for both trails and commuting so I need something that will wear well on pavement and have enough grip for dusty hardpack and strong enough to handle ... Read More »

2.2 Fast Trak

Is it me or is it really narrow, It looks like my 2.0Read More »

Racing Ralph or Fast Trak

Hi, looking for opinions on 29er Racing Ralphs or Fast Traks for an all around racing tire for Michigan. Currently using the Fast Traks and was wondering if there's any performance gains with the Ralphs. ThanksRead More »