Specialized Fast Trak Control 29er Tire

3.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Submitted by Earthpig

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2012

Strengths:    Light, fast rolling

Weaknesses:    Very low volume for a stated 2.2 tire - smaller than the old Fast Trak LK 2.0

Bottom Line:
I bought the 29 x 2.2 version of the new, redesigned Fast Trak to use as a high volume, light, fast-rolling front tire for my rigid SS. I've been very happy with the volume and grip of the older Fast Trak LKs, which I ran for a couple of years on a hardtail in a variety of conditions. Yes, the new Fast Trak is light and fast rolling, but the grip doesn't seem to be as good as the old Fast Trak LK and the volume is definitely WAY smaller. The new 2.2 Fast Trak is actually smaller than the old 2.0 Fast Trak LK. Good tire, but be advised that if you're looking for a high volume tire or one that is actually a 2.2, this isn't it.

Submitted by Uncle_Mike a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2012

Strengths:    Great rolling, surprisingly good traction in most conditions, light weight (2.2 Control 2Bliss version)

Weaknesses:    durability and sidewall strength, some give on high speed gravel corners

Bottom Line:
With prior experience on the 26" version of these tires, I knew what to expect - surprisingly good performance in all conditions and, like most all of the Specialized tires that I've used, the sidewalls wearing out before the tread. This is what happened.
These are race oriented tires that I began to ride on all conditions and when they performed well, I just keep using them (almost exclusively) on everything.
Sensitive to tire pressure - At 200 lbs, I found there to be a sweet-spot in tire-pressure to optimize traction. Run them low and the traction was excellent but the thin sidewall would mean bottoming out on hits and risking damage to the rim, thus it was necessary to run the tire harder than ideal. This was really only an issue in wet conditions as the compound hooked up well in dry terrain even if pumped up quite high.
I installed these tires before a 24 hour event and was a little hesitant to test them on high speed corners but quickly learned their breaking point and became confident with them. After just over a month of regular use on primarily technical trails consisting of lots of rocks, roots with occasional mud; humidity would appear on the outside of the sidewalls as the Stan's would seep through after sitting overnight. Before most rides I would refill the tires and even added some more Stan's juice at one point. Soon thereafter, the threads began to show and as of yesterday a split wide enough to merit a tire change. Now at Kingdom Trails, the LBS recommended a WTB Bronson's which are proving to be excellent on the local trails.

More on performance - overall these tires are very good on most terrain, particularly if you're a smooth pedal'er and used to minimal tread. There was rarely any technical climb where I couldn't count on these to bite.
On high speed gravel descents, there were times that I felt some larger knobs could bring me closer to a Strava KOM but it was really only when pushing the limits that I felt the limitations of this type of tire and the slide came on smoothly versus sudden failure.
As much as I'd like to give this tire a perfect rating, as it's as good as any tire of it's kind that I've tried in regard to performance, a few grams of weight to create a more solid sidewall (and greater durability) would have gotten it through more of the season and made it a better value.
Conversely, the more durable version (Armadillo) might have people shy away from the weight.
Like the S-Works version, they aren't particularly cheap so if you're putting on a lot of miles, you can expect them to take a bite out of your tire budget. I will buy more of these to use for endurance events, when I find them on sale.

Similar Products Used:   Geax Saggaro, Pythons, and many, many others. (26'ers - Larson TT's , Mescals, various Bontragers, etc.)

Bike Setup:   2012 Intense Spider 29'er, XO, Thomson, Chris King, Crossmax... Tubeless

Fast Trak Control 2.2 vs. Racing Ralph SS 2.25 as a rear tire

Hi everyone. I'm trying to decide on a new dry weather rear tire and I'm stuck between the Fast Trak Control 2.2 and Racing Ralph SS 2.25. Does anyone have experience with both tires? I have two years of experience with the RR and love it. The only reason I'm asking about the Fast Trak is becaus ... Read More »

Fat Trak LK Control same as Fast Trak Control?

Currently running the LK control, punctured with a big enough hole that I want to replace. No local shops have the LK in stock and the Specialized site have them sold out. One shop told me that the LK has been replaced and Specialized dropped the LK from the name. Looking at the Specialized sit ... Read More »

Tire Review, new Fast Trak Control FEA 2bliss

I'm a newer rider than many reading this review, only been on the bike for about 15 months now, mostly a weekend warrior but I average 4-5 rides a week around the Dallas area trails and have ridden some 29er hardtails and currently rock the test mule detailed below. I have recently gotten into racin ... Read More »

Ground Control & FE Analysis Fast Trak - Criticize 'em!

I'm interested in hearing about these 2 new tires that Specialized has introduced. The brought back from the dead Ground Control and the new FE Analysis Fast Trak. I'm currently running Captains all around, which looks like its in between both of these new tires. Yay or nay?Read More »

Anyone seen a new Fast Trak Control for 2012?

Guy at my LBS that went to one of the big bike shows recently said that Spec was unveiling a new tread pattern Fast Trak, a Control model maybe, that would have bigger, more aggressive shoulder tread so that it had better grip in loose corners but maintained a good fast rolling center. Similar to a ... Read More »