Schwalbe Thunder Burt 29er Tire

The tire development goal was to combine the best of Racing Ralph and Furious Fred. At less than 400 g, the weight is almost exactly in the middle. With its many small lugs Thunder Burt is close on the heels of Racing Ralph regarding grip and in terms of rolling resistance its even better than Furious Fred.

Submitted by Jim in Colorado a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2016

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance
Better than expected traction
Really tough -- stood up to significant sidewall abuse

Weaknesses:    Traction when wet
Braking

Bottom Line:
Outstanding rolling, better than expected traction, have used them on rides/races with many rocks, had some sidewall encounters that I expected would result in a flat, but it keeps going. Does best on hard pack and rocks. Adequate on loose-over-hard.

Not good for wet -- once wet, traction on rocks or roots is very low until it dries out.

Locks up easily under heavy braking, but that is to be expected with a fast-rolling, low-knob tire. But it brakes better than a Maxxis Aspen.

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Aspen, Maxxis Crossmark, Specialized FastTrak, Racing Ralph

Submitted by Ty FAulk a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2014

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Not strong, even with SnakeSkin. Not any more tubeless ready than a non-tubeless ready tire, extremely narrow.

Bottom Line:
I looked at this tire cause I wanted a fast tire that was really light. I heard there were problems with punctures, so I bought the SnakeSkin version. I was also excited cause it was tubeless. So, first off, I tried to get the tire to inflate tubeless... The beed is not like a tubeless tire... Its loose. And even harder to inflate than a non-tubless ready tire! Secondly the rubber is not strong even with snake skin. 20 minutes into my FIRST ride it was punctured...
Third, I was VERY narrow! I have ridden 2.1 tires and this thing is not 2.1....

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Aspen is the old faithful....