Schwalbe Rocket Ron TL Ready 29er Tire

1.86/5 (7 Reviews)

It took a few years for the cycling community to come together on this one, but 29 inch wheels have definitely become a very real part of the XC race community. Several companies are making serious, high-performance 29 inch XC race tires. Schwalbe's offering, the Rocket Ron, is a no-holds-barred...

Submitted by JIMSLICK

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2014

Strengths:    Light weight, good traction, low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    A bit pricey

Bottom Line:
I really can't understand people having so much trouble with this tire and giving it such bad reviews. Although I have the snakeskin tubeless ones and I don't know if the other reviewers have this exact tire or not and also I never use anything but my hands to mount or dismount aramid bead tires as I think it is real important to use the drop center of the rim to your full advantage so as not to over stretch the bead. Mine are tubeless on velocity blunt rims and I really like them.

Submitted by Festusjrf a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2014

Strengths:    Light, fast acceleration, straight line grip on hardpack

Weaknesses:    Very difficult to seat and keep in place, cornering traction is poor (side knobs fold over.)
very flexible side walls
does not run true wobbles

Bottom Line:
I have been riding tubeless for 10 years now and have to say this is the worst tire yet.
These came on my Air9 Carbon on Mavic Cross Max ST.I have to slow way down to corner as the side knobs fold and dont maintain traction. I tried to like them but on the first ride the tire (at 28 PSI) released air and I had to pump it up again. Back home I took it off cleaned rim and tire and tried to reinstall, several attempts with pump failed despite soapy water and cleaning. Gas station compressor did not work I ended up using a CO2 cartridge to seat it. Changed pressure to 32 one ride and the tire wobbles again and runs untrue with a bounce.
Long story short I tried to like it but the ride quality is poor due to low cornering grip and the constant reseating.

Duration Product Used:   1 Month

Purchased At:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Air9 Carbon Crossmax ST

Submitted by cnb a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2013

Strengths:    very light, incredible grip

Weaknesses:    will not stay on the rims; sidewalls very thin and porous

Bottom Line:
I got two tires with a new 29er (Trek with Mustang rims). After a couple weeks of leaking Bontrager Super Juice like crazy, the rear tire would not stay on the rim even at 10 psi when set up tubeless (don't know if they would have stayed on the rims with tubes); even after a couple weeks of feeding them with Super Juice, they would still leak fluid out of dozens of tiny pores on the sidewalls; the sidewall cords were not completely covered with rubber - VERY thin. All in all a very scary tire. I replaced both. I think they stretched so that the beads were much bigger in diameter than the rims. When I first converted them to tubeless, they were reasonably hard to mount on the rims - like normal tires. But after a couple weeks they could be pulled off the rims with my index finger alone - no lever necessary. When I inflated them, they would blow off the rim at 10 psi, even when the wheels were off the bike. Two bike shops had no better luck when they tried to mount/inflate them. I've since used both Bontrager and Specialized tubeless ready tires on the rims with no problems whatsoever.

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe Donner trails

Duration Product Used:   one month

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Trek Paragon 29er hardtail, Mustang rims, Bontrager tubeless ready strips and Super Juice sealant

Submitted by bquick

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2013

Strengths:    light weight

Weaknesses:    Used them with tubes. I don't think that it has stopped a single puncture vine yet. Riding them on rocky trails wore the tread down way too quickly.

Bottom Line:
Expensive tire that wears out quickly. Not resistant to punctures.

Submitted by mtb_bkr

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2012

Strengths:    grippy on hardpack

Weaknesses:    Everything else.... Weak sidewall, sketchy on rocks, expensive

Bottom Line:
I blew the sidewalls off 2 of these tires out last year within in 6 rides. This year, I bought a 29er and they came on it. My first ride, slowly riding uphill on a double track, the sidewall blew again!

I've replaced them with the Maxxis ikon, and I am loving those tires..

Submitted by Mark McClanahan

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight, low rolling resistant, way better than Ralph for cornering and grip. Setup tubeless easily with Edge carbon wheels.

Weaknesses:    Very thin and delicate. Good for light trails in Michigan. Would not last 2 rides in Colorado.. I have lived both places.

Bottom Line:
Would only use for Dirt road riding and some light XC course racing.

Submitted by Mellicent a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight but note the weaknesses

Weaknesses:    Paper thin sidewalls, soft knobbies, extremely hard to seal tubeless, constantly burps sealant

Bottom Line:
These tires are dangerous. The paper thin sidewalls are not durable and cause the tire to burp air and sealant in hard cornering and on roots and rocks. I bought them to replace a set of Hutchison Pythons that I had zero problems with but were worn out. The last straw was bunny hopping a log and when I landed, the front tire rolled and lost nearly all air. I went down hard due to the loss of front end stability. Luckily my shop is giving me a credit for these overpriced ($90 a piece????) thin dangerous tires. Buyer beware. BTW - I installed Tubeless Ready Maxxis Ardent and Cross Mark tires and they have been fantastic.

Favorite Trail:   Syllamo