Schwalbe Nobby Nic SnakeSkin TL 29er Tire

4.55/5 (11 Reviews)

The Schwalbe Nobby Nic SnakeSkin Tubeless Ready is a performance tire for the serious rider or occasional racer, combining unshakable grip with wicked speed.

Submitted by hoolie a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2014

Strengths:    Massive 2.4 tire for volume, very plush on a Hardtail, great in muddy or soft situations. Side knobs are soft for good mud traction (not so great on fast dry smooth trails). Easy tubeless set up on WTB i23 rim. Soft rubber is great for rocky trail adhesion, but they get chunks torn off. Greatest tire for rich guys, buy new ones often! I would if I could.

Weaknesses:    Slow rolling uphill on singlespeed (funny), squirmy, wears out Fast, knobs get torn up pretty bad from rocks, and pedaling up pavement. I don't love the soft side knobs on dry hard packed trails, but these trails are smoothed out by the high air volume low pressure. These treads wear out and get undermined really fast. Throw rocks at your frame as super soft rubber sticks to pebbles and tosses them.

Bottom Line:
Nobby Nic Snakeskin tubeless ready EVO, Pacestar triple compound. 29 x 2.4. I really like this tire. It is squirmy on hard trails and I don't think that is where this tire excels. It's a winter tire as far as I am concerned. Summer tire if you can afford to buy a lot of 'em. This is really great for Hardtail as the massive volume and tubeless ready allow very low pressures. It really shines on muddy or wet trails. I feel very confident on this in the wet roots and wet rocks. The soft rubber gives you every advantage when wet. If you are a careless rider in rocks you can slice the sidewall on any tire, this one will hurt your wallet. This is not the MOST durable tire. This is one of the most comfortable tires for hard tails.

Favorite Trail:   Hole in the ground

Purchased At:   Wrench Science

Similar Products Used:   GEAX GATO (awesome), Hutchinson Toro ( good but narrow), Maxxis Ignitor (old tech but good),

Bike Setup:   Niner one 9 singlespeed, kind of an All Mtn setup.

Submitted by S.O.B.

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2013

Strengths:    Fantastic grip in every condition I have ridden. Improved cornering, braking and overall traction/confidence compared to the many other 29er tubless tires I have tried.

Weaknesses:    None thus far. Some would say price, but I pick them up cheap (on-line) and buy two sets. Weight is very good given the improved overall grip/traction and confidence.

Bottom Line:
Note that this review is based 2.35's front/rear on my Rigid Single Speed(s) over NorCal trails (rocky, hardpack, loose over hard, gravel, loamy) 29er tires I have owned (tubeless, w/Stans): Slant Six 2.2, Maxxis Ikon EXO 2.25, Specialized Ground Control 2bliss 2.3/2.1 combo, Michelin Wild Griper2 2.25 and Racing Ralph 2.35/2.25 combo.
For the last two years, Racing Ralphs were my tire. Light, durable enough and fast, but also fast wearing. Eventually I tired of sliding out on loose turns (or having to slow substantially) etc. I wanted more grip and was willing to sacrifice a few grams to get it. Enter the Nobby Nics. I put these on my heavier SS (Niner SIR 9 w/Steel from fork) and these tires have been such a noticeable improvement over the RaRa's on every trail I have ridden. I can climb better (important on a SS), corner much faster, and braking traction is fantastic. I still have RaRa's on my lighter racing SS (18.7lb Niner One9), but will switch out the front soon with a NoNi. Got them on Sale on Fleabay for ~$55 a tire. Probably could be found a bit less with some patience but I am pretty damn satisfied.

Submitted by Earthpig a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2013

Strengths:    They hold air

Weaknesses:    Squirmy, unpredictable traction (except you can predict they won't grip), knobs are too tall and too soft, slow rolling, do not corner well, wander on the flats, heavy, expensive

Bottom Line:
I would have to say this is one of the worst tires I've ever used in 20 years of mountain biking, and I've used a TON of different tires. I really have nothing good to say about them. They are heavy, slow rolling, and have exactly zero traction on any surface I've tried them on - loose, loose over hardpack, hardpack, soft dirt, rocks. DO NOT lean the bike into corners or you WILL go down. There are no transitional knobs between the center and outside knobs so you go from minimal, squirmy straight line traction to no traction if you lean the tire over. The side knobs are tall, but they're so soft and flexible that they instantly let loose. I've tried the Nobby (I have the 29 2.35 Evo Snakeskin model) front and rear, both trying the rotating direction as indicated and then reversed to see if the grip improved. Nope. My average speed/time on my regular rides went down almost a full mile per hour after going from a Rampage/Captain combo to these wretched beasts. Maybe they'd have more grip if your terrain features soft, loamy soil, but they are terrible (in my experience) on anything else. Buyer beware.

Duration Product Used:   less than 50 miles

Similar Products Used:   Too many to list. I really liked the Big Betty (26" Gooey Gluey version) and I like the Racing Ralph (running a 2.4 as the front tire on my singlespeed), but these are terrible. Other 29'er tires used - Panaracer Rampage, Specialized Fast Trak LK, Specialized The Captain, Specialized Ground Control. Heck, even the Fast Trak had better traction.

Bike Setup:   I used these as a front tire on a RIP 9 and a On-one Lurcher, and as a rear tire on the RIP.

Submitted by Racerbill

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2013

Strengths:    These tires were great in braking and cornering and had decent straight-line stability.

Weaknesses:    The stiff sidewalls let you run lower pressure but also made the ride slightly harsher. They wear really fast.

Bottom Line:
The first time I used these tires was riding down Palm Canyon into Palm Springs they probably saved my life on that ride. They had very good breaking in the loose desert soil on that ride, decent cornering, and rolled fairly well. I then did numerous trail rides and loved the tires and all kinds of conditions. Finally I went to Sedona and spent three days riding on slick rock and loose rocky conditions that's where the problem showed up. I have less than 400 miles on the rear tire and it is completely gone away it doesn't look too bad on the side jobs but they've been undercut and act like flaps and just let the rear wheels slide sideways at any off camber opportunity. My set of racing Ralphs did exactly the same thing in less time. These are great tires if you want to replace them constantly I'm going back to a Maxxis Ardent on the rear and will keep experimenting with front tires

Submitted by Eric Schappach a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2013

Strengths:    Rolls fairly well for a big tire. Tire has good grip almost everywhere.

Weaknesses:    Seems to be wearing out on corner knobs, a bit of undermining going on after a few months riding

Bottom Line:
Purchased a 2.25 to replace a Conti Mt King in rear, I was looking for something that had some decent transition knobs because the Conti was bad on angled rock faces and while cornering on harder surfaces.
First ride I noticed a big improvement, seems to roll slightly slower than the Conti but corners more consistently with no surprises.Overall a good choice for most riders,seems to do most things well.
Price wise I think it's getting a bit much and it was hard to justify getting yet another new rear tire. After about 200 miles I'm noticing some major undermining on the cornering knobs so I'l need to replace this tire in about another 100 miles or so.
That's why I only gave it 4 stars for Value, $70 for a tire that lasts 1/2 a season seems a bit much but it does work rather well for a rear tire. It does get a 5 star rating in my mind in side wall durability, I ride trails that are loaded with rocks and the Captain control and Purgatory tires have been a disappointment due to weak sidewalls.
I do hear the Hans dampf's are more durable so may look there or might get the Trail King come spring.

Favorite Trail:   MX Monster at Blue Mt, Peekskill

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Rampage(Fav front tire), Nevegal, Mt King, XC pro, Captain Control, Purgatory,SB 8, Saguaro

Bike Setup:   Rumblefish, Stan's rims on X9 hubs, Formula RX brakes

Submitted by TOPJIMMY71

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2013

Strengths:    Great traction on just about anything (with-in reason), great durability, low weight, great looks, sheds mud, tough sidewalls, good volume, easy to mount / set-up tubeless with Stan's, fast rolling...

Weaknesses:    These are one of the more expensive tires on the market... but totally worth the price of admission!

Bottom Line:
These are by far my new favorite tires! The trails I ride vary in terrain, including dry, loose, hard-pack, moist, rocks, roots, grass, stream crossing, steep inclines / declines, flats, rollers, etc... These tires grip like Velcro to just about everything! I've also ridden many S-Works tires (Renagades, Captains, Ground Controls, Purgatory's, FasTraks) and these Schwalbe Nobby Nic's seem to be the best of all worlds... I'm running a 2.35 on the front and a 2.25 on the rear. They are holding up well and I feel like I can ride noticeably faster on both familiar and new trails! I've been running big S tires for several years now and have been very pleased with them... but on a whim I wanted to give these a try... as I said before, I now have a new favorite!

Submitted by mtnking a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2012

Strengths:    Durability, wear, puncture resistance, traction

Weaknesses:    Weight, price

Bottom Line:
After switching from 2.25 Rocket Ron EVOs earlier this summer to the 2.35 Nobby Nic EVO to get more grip in sand and loose soil, I'm really impressed with the improved traction and durability. Using Stan's on tubeless compatible rims, I've had no flats. The increased weight is certainly noticeable, but not a bad trade off. Wears well too.
I ride in a lot of sand, loose dirt, rocks, and sagebrush.

Favorite Trail:   northern nevada

Duration Product Used:   6-months

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Rocket Rons, Rocket Ron EVOs, Racing Ralphs

Bike Setup:   29er full-suspension

Submitted by ppfeifer a Racer

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2012

Strengths:    Traction. Rolling resistance. Tubeless ready bead. Weight (not too bad at 700 grams)

Bottom Line:
Having ridden many different tires over the years I didn't need to spend much time riding Nobby Nics to know they are fantastic tires. For the past year and a half I've been riding with a Racing Ralph as my front tire. By in large the RR has performed admirably but I didn't gain total confidence in it. Though the tire rolled amazingly well and cornered nicely I never got comfortable with medium banked turns (maybe transitions is a better word for it). The Nobby Nic is different. I don't have to think about turning anymore. I just do it and the front tire stays hooked up. Plus, Snake Skin sidewalls are confidence inspiring and Schwalbe's TL bead is "the truth". Paired with Stan's rims the babies really hold air. Although people complain about the price there are deals to be had. Just do a search and use the price matching feature on your favorite site.

Favorite Trail:   Fountainhead

Duration Product Used:   Month

Purchased At:   Treefort Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Ardent 2.25 &2.4, Ignitor, Crossmark, Aspen, Bontrager ACX Jones 2.2, & Racing Ralph

Bike Setup:   Jet 9

Submitted by spencerfrater1 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2012

Strengths:    Grip in a mixture of damp, wet and dry conditions, on dirt, gravel and in mud. Versatility and ability to run low pressure when tubeless.

Weaknesses:    The only one is price, hence 4 chilis on Value

Bottom Line:
Been running this tyre for several months now and am more than happy with it. It has great grip in a real variety of conditions. It was reasonably easy to mount tubeless on ZTR Crest rims, and with some Stans sealant inside I have had no problems whatsoever in several months. It sealed very well - I run it at about 17-19 psi and only have to add a small amount of air once every month or so. I can tell by the look of the tyre it's going to last - it is not wearing out quickly on the dirt / mud / gravel trails we ride.
Highly recommended - if you can afford it!

Favorite Trail:   Penmachno