Schwalbe Nobby Nic HS 411 29er Tire

• Cut resistance
  • Triple Nano-Compound

Submitted by JimmyJames a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2014

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Everything else

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Nobby Nic Performance, Dual-compound 2.25 version. Seemed to be a good quality tire, easy to mount and seal tubeless. No pinholes or weeps on the sidewalls. Pretty light for the size. I've ridden them fast and hard for about 60 miles now on rocky, loose over hard, and hard-pack trails and there were no obvious signs of wear - the knob edges remained sharp. Not the best at climbing, braking or cornering, but seemed to be an OK, but not great, balance of all of those. I tend to ride the same trails as a matter of routine, so I was really surprised when my rear tire flatted while descending a steep rocky section that I had ridden these tires on before. Nothing unusual or different about this descent except for the rear tire suddenly losing most of it’s air. I stopped quickly and rotated the tire until the area leaking air was down, so the Stan’s inside could seal it. I then inspected the tire, expecting to find a pinhole type of puncture, but all I could see was large amounts of Stan’s oozing all over the tread in that area. I was kind of confounded, as there was no obvious puncture visible. I pumped up the tire and immediately rode home with the tire gradually losing air. When I got home, I removed the wheel from the bike and inspected the tire closely. Still unable to find the puncture site, I inflated the tire to it’s maximum recommended pressure and found air seeping from around the base of one of the knobs in the center of the tread. I manipulated the knob and found that it had chunked-off, but it was still attached by a small skin of rubber on one bottom edge which created what was essentially a hinge, allowing the knob to completely flap back off of the carcass exposing the tire cords and then return to it’s original position where it looked like a normal, undamaged knob. I was just within the 30 day return period, and was able to send these tires back for a full refund. These tires seem to be too lightweight and fragile for rocky conditions, and not a very good tire in general with limited traction while climbing and during hard braking and cornering. I won’t be buying them again.

Favorite Trail:   Anything that flows

Duration Product Used:   Approx. 90 miles

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager 29-4, Tioga Psycho Genius, Performance Mt. Pisgah, WTB Wierwolf, WTB Bronson, WTB Nano

Bike Setup:   Niner WFO

Submitted by Brandon a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2013

Strengths:    Light, awesome grip, relatively fast considering they're a full nob, durable

Weaknesses:    Does not roll over roots and rocks very well at slow speeds

Bottom Line:
I have the Nobby NIc up front and it has changed the dynamics of my bike. Downhill the tire will hold just about any line without question. The tire does not roll as fast I thought based on other reviews, but not complaints. It is extremely durable and will not leave you hangin. I was able to find the tire on a great sale, so it didn't hurt my wallet too much. Is it worth the money, yes for a front tire can't speak for a rear.

Bike Setup:   Salsa El Mariachi, Mavic TN719's, Hadley hubs, SLX M660, 32X18 single speed.

Submitted by Del Randall a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2013

Strengths:    none!

Weaknesses:    couldn't really get a good feel for my new bike these tires are terrible. They fill up in mud and have no control on single track.

Bottom Line:
I've been mountain biking for 18 years and have never blamed my kit for a lawn sale but These tires came on my Scott genius 940 and I almost took the bike back because it didn't climb or corner. I had heard that nobby nicks were good and the "new thing" through my local shop but I took the Michelin wild grippers off my d29 and instantly found myself on the ride of my life. So to sum up I think they are like an iPhone more fad then function.

Favorite Trail:   Dred Knot Camden Snow Bowl Maine

Duration Product Used:   75m

Purchased At:   Side Country Rocklan

Similar Products Used:   Michelin wild gripper

Bike Setup:   Scott Genius 940

Submitted by ECRider a Cross Country Rider from North Jersey, New Jersey

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2011

Strengths:    Good on wet trails

Weaknesses:    Material separating knobs is weak and splits often on trails.

Bottom Line:
I went through two of these tires with both experiencing the same tear. In between the knobs the plastic split open. while they maintain a strong side wall they overlooked the obvious strength needed in the strength of the knobs and plastic in between them.

Bike Setup:   Niner Jet9

Submitted by mcandy a Weekend Warrior from Portsmouth NH

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2011

Strengths:    easy to set up tubeless, light

Weaknesses:    used <5 times and nobs falling off, torn sidewall.

Bottom Line:
I have been Mtn biking 23 years. I ride alot. I have never in all these years had a tire fall apart so quickly. They seem to ride well and were easy to set up...but come on. I have used 19.99$ velociraptors, smoke/dart etc and never had this issue.

Favorite Trail:   Exeter

Purchased At:   CO cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegal

Bike Setup:   SC Tallboy

Submitted by maheoway a Weekend Warrior from Dripping Springs, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2011

Strengths:    Easy tubeless setup, great traction all conditions, rolls fast

Weaknesses:    Expensive, wear very fast

Bottom Line:
Loved the tire when new, rear was gone in 300 miles, front in 500. When worn, no grip, had no idea where the front tire was going to go, rear spun out everywhere, when the knobs lost their edge. Too soft in all the limestone rocks and rubble in central TX, can't afford that much money every couple of months.

Favorite Trail:   RPR, Reimers, Flat Rock

Similar Products Used:   Bonti ACX, Conti Mt King 2.4

Bike Setup:   Pivot 429, C Kings/Stan's 355's, Sram X0 9spd, Marta SL, Thomson, Ergon GP1L

Submitted by bluestatevirgin a Weekend Warrior from Oregon

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2011

Strengths:    Rolls nice. Tubeless ease.

Weaknesses:    Heavier than advertised. Not good on slipper/wet.

Bottom Line:
Had higher hopes for these tires. Running the 2.35 up front and the 2.25 out back. Have about 10 rides on them and though they roll fast, and are solid in loose conditions, I'm not happy with them on wet/slippery. Guess my expectations are high for what is advertiesed as an all conditions tire. I've had the front tire wash out on me in a few rides more than my Rampage ever did. The rear hasn't been great on roots. They don't clear mud. My local trails are wet and rooty, so maybe I'm asking too much of these tires. When the dirt's good, I have no complaints, but most tires preform well on tacky dirt. Instead of a tire that does a little bit of everything well, I notice where it comes up short in a variety of conditions. I'm going to rate the tire at 4 chilis because the sidewalls seem nice, it sets up tubeless easy, and it rolls well. May just not be the right tire for my conditions. Value, I'll go a bit lower due to expense, heavier than advertised, and I don't consider it the ideal all conditions tire.

Favorite Trail:   Wherever

Purchased At:   Merlin UK

Similar Products Used:   Rampage.

Bike Setup:   Yelli Screamy. All-Mountain.

Submitted by acesEPIC a Cross Country Rider from Fairfield, CA USA

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2011

Strengths:    Grip! Pretty fast on road too when pumped up to about 45#.

A good blend of apparent sidewall durability & light weight! These things will run tubeless very well. Sidewalls snap in tight to the UST bead on Mavics

Weaknesses:    the 29 x 2.2" size were smaller in volume than the 29 x 2.0" Specialized SWorks Captains

a little hum when ridden on road - I know these are dirt tyres

these tyres are expensive at $80 MSRP, even at the discounted price I found, they were still spendy, hence the reason for the 4 Chili's

hard to find in dealerships around the Bay Area, I had to order them online...

Bottom Line:
I bought these 2.2" wide tyres to replace 2.0" Captains. I wanted the greater volume of the 2.2" width for the rougher dry season. But when I received them, they did stretch to a 2.2" width, but were not as tall in volume as the 2" Captains???

Anyway, these tyres roll great in loose over hard. They climb fire road quickly & provide very confidence inspiring grip when leaned over hard at speed.

These tyres remind me of a slightly tougher Captain. They provide superb grip for very steep technical loose rock climbing. The Nobby Nics have handled rock garden abuse without a problem & I can tell they will run great as tubeless tyres.

For an XC to Aggressive XC tyre they great, but maybe a bit overkill. We all know the 29" wheel allows for a less aggressive tread, yet still providing confidence inspiring grip. My next tyres will probably be more like Specialized Fast Trak LK Control's, since they're lighter in weight & would probably roll faster. Or maybe Racing Ralph's...

Favorite Trail:   Rockville

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles .co

Similar Products Used:   Specialized SWorks Captains 29 x 2.0"

Bike Setup:   Titus Fireline 29er, XTR, Eriksen post, CroSSMax 29er wheels

Submitted by Lucky_Skunk a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2011

Strengths:    Light and fast for a full knob, T/L ready

Weaknesses:    Pricey Indeed, Hard to find in stock.

Bottom Line:
I decided to ordered the Schalbe nobby nics (29 x 2.25) to replace the 2.2 Mt. Kings I had been using over the last year.

Well, I took them out for the first time last week, and I have got to say I ws thoroughly impressed with them. They are like Mt. Kings on steroids or meth. Seriously, even though the tires are full knobs like the Mt. Kings, the ride was astonishingly smooth on the trails, as well as fast. In fact, compared to what I was accustomed to with the Conti's, it felt like I was riding on slicks.

If I did have one complaint, it would also be the price. Although I got them at a discount, it was still as expensive as most higher end MTB tires. Also, the durability has yet to been seen.

Hver, if they DO last reasonably as long as most tires, I would buy them again, even at the retail price. (Though I may cringe when hitting the "purchase" button.)

Favorite Trail:   Walnut Creek

Similar Products Used:   Conti Mt. King 2.2, WTB Prowler SL Comp 2.1

Bike Setup:   2009 Marin Alpine Trail 29er, X9 drive train, Avid BB5 brakes, stock wheels

Submitted by rojogonzo a Weekend Warrior from Tulsa

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2011

Strengths:    Great grip in various conditions, rolls fast for nobiness, great volume, looks

Weaknesses:    had it slide a little when leaning on granite once, but it was brand new then, haven't noticed since.

Bottom Line:
A good gripping tire with lots of cush that rolls well.
We'll see how it lasts.
Measured wider than my Ardent 2.4 at casing.
Would like to try it tubeless at some point as it's designed for but currently roll with it on a Gordo tubed.

Favorite Trail:   Turkey Mountain

Purchased At:   Merlin UK

Similar Products Used:   Racing Ralph, Ardent 2.4, Bontrager Jones

Bike Setup:   Set up on a Gordo rim with tube, measured out wider than the Ardent 2.4
I have the 2.35 version
Single Speed Blackbuck set up rigid, Nobby Nic on front, have the Ardent 2.4 on back now but plan to change to a 2.4 Ralph back there or similar.

Submitted by knottshore a Cross Country Rider from East Coast

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2011

Strengths:    Grippy, light for a full nobby tire

Weaknesses:    $$$$$

Bottom Line:
I have a bunch of tires over the past year and this is by far the best balance of traction, weight, and rolling I have found for an XC/Trail tire- I ran one in the rear for a bit which was fine but more than I needed. I pair it with a Racing Ralph out back on one bike and an Icon on the other, it makes an outstanding front tire for wet/somewhat loose conditions, lots of confidence with little of the weight or slow feel most tires that offer this much grip do.

If you can stomach the cost this tire is great as an XC/Trail front tire- maybe a rear if you need the grip...

Favorite Trail:   Fair Hill

Similar Products Used:   Too many... Ardent 2.25, 2.4, Crossmark, Ikon, Racing Ralph, Rocket Ron, Captain control, Fasttrack, Weirwolf, Rampage, Nevegal- etc...

Bike Setup:   Run it on the front of my Pivot 429 and El Mariachi

Submitted by mkk a Cross Country Rider from CO

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2011

Strengths:    rolls well for a nobby; holds corners; very good braking traction

Weaknesses:    none really- it does what it was designed to do. it is pricey, but i got mine on sale.

Bottom Line:
this tire has been pretty good so far. it's great in medium soil conditions; good in loose stuff- broke it loose once cornering hard in powdery dry soil; i feel a little bit of squirm from the big nobs on rock and bulletproof hard-pack. i think it does what it was designed to do- it's a nobby tire. not a perfect all-around tire, but it's good in most conditions that i've put it through. FYI- i have the Snakeskin version- it seems pretty tough, not too heavy, and seals up like a champ with Stan's.