Schwalbe Little Albert 29 29er Tire

Weight : 590 grams

Aggressive, medium to loose conditions XC tire for front or rear.
  • Size: 29 x 2.1, Kevlar
  • Fast rolling and lightweight
  • Reinforced SnakeSkin heavy duty sidewalls
  • Narrow profile--fast rolling
  • Designed to work front or rear
  • 67 tpi
  • 590 grams for the 29" and 535 grams for the 26"

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Troy a Cross Country Rider from Aspen, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2010

Strengths:    Light, fast

Weaknesses:    Very low volumn, deflects easily, harsh ride, no torsional stiffness, needs to be run at high psi, and very expensive.

Bottom Line:
    Truly the worst 29er tire that I've ever ridden. Very weak for a rear tire and worthless in the front. Maybe they work well for 145 lb. racers on groomed courses, but for a 190 lb. all mountain/XC rider, they are truly worthless. I'm actually glad they wore out quickly.

Favorite Trail:   Government

Purchased At:   Ute City Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Ignitor, Rampage, Navigal, Weirwolf LT, Crossmark

Bike Setup:   Turner Sultan, Industry Nine XC wheelset

Submitted by Jaxson a Racer from Thurston

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2008

Strengths:    Tough sidewalls. Lots of knobs for great traction, yet seems to have low rolling resistance. Skinny tire that does'nt take much effort to get up to speed. Very light-weight, too.

Weaknesses:    Maybe too skinny for some riders who like more volume in a tire. Might not be the best tire for very muddy climbs due to it's narrow profile. Expensive.

Bottom Line:
    This tire is on both geared and single speed bikes. I use these tires year round, and they seem to hook up well in just about any condition. They're light-weight, and the narrow profile make it a great race tire for me (165 pound rider.

No issue with knobs wearing off here: I do a lot of gravel/township road riding on my mountain bikes and I'd have to say that the majority of the tread is still there after 1200 miles (each set) of riding.
    That said, I definately would'nt use these tires for habitual pavement riding.

Though they're somewhat expensive, I imagine I will continue to use this tire as long as they are being made.

Favorite Trail:   Mohican State Park

Purchased At:   Cyclist Connection

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Klaws, Bontrager Jones & ACX's.

Bike Setup:   Fisher Xcaliber & Rig with upgrades.

Submitted by RiverCliff a Cross Country Rider from Mountain Home, AR

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2007

Strengths:    Strong sidewalls - pretty good grip - easy on and off the rim

Weaknesses:    Did not like the feel - knobs came off really quick - other knobs wore down quick.

Bottom Line:
    Replaced the nanoraptor because I badly tore the side wall in 2 places - Did not want that to happen again, so bought the Little Albert. As I expected, the LA felt stiff - I was OK with that as the side walls are stiff and intact. I was not OK with my $50 tire losing knobs (no, I do not drag my rear brake) and the tread wearing down so quick - maybe 20 rides. I ride all rocky single track, and it is hard on tires/tread, but this was the most I have paid for a tire, and the least amount of miles put on one before needing replaced.

Favorite Trail:   Syllamo