Schwalbe Hans Dampf 29er 29er Tire

4.22/5 (9 Reviews)

The Hans Dampf tire made its debut at the Sea Otter Classic last year and critics raved that it set new standards in rubber. The Hans Dampf has strong lugs and sidewalls, as well as grippy TrailStar compound tread. The TrailStar compound is unique in that Schwalbe combined three different rubber mixtures to create a grippy tread center, and even gripper shoulders. Tubeless ready, add latex fluid to the Hans Dampf and enjoy the benefits of high puncture protection, low rolling resistance, and the ability to run lower pressures.

Submitted by srpinaz a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2014

Strengths:    Look good

Weaknesses:    Weak knobs, Weight, Wear fast, $$$$$$

Bottom Line:
So I got a deal on these and thought I would give them a try, although even at a deal price these were more than other tires retail.
I was very disappointed with the performance. They did not hook up well in the corners (my most important factor in a tire), plus they wore very fast. In fact, the side knobs had cracked and were useless after only about ten rides. It got to where I had no traction in the corners because all of the knobs were broken through. For a tire of this price, that's not acceptable. In addition, I could tell the weight of the tires from the first pedal stroke. These things feel heavy and roll slow. In the end, I do not recommend these tires.

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis High Roller and High Roller II. Much better tires IMO

Submitted by Vhom a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2013

Strengths:    Does ALMOST everything well. Light and strong for it's size. Love the Snakeskin sidewall. Tubeless is simple and not a P-I-A.

Weaknesses:    Cornering, especially in high speed corners where you have to dig in. It just doesn't want to dig in as well as say a directional tire like Bonty 29-4. Price is just insane, but it seems to be holding up.

Bottom Line:
Overall a good tire. I think it'll be replace in the front with a Minion once it starts to hit the market. Hopefully Maxxis can get the weight down close to the HD.

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Ardent and Nobby Nic.

Bike Setup:   Yeti SB-95

Submitted by dgreene2010

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2012

Strengths:    Grip, cornering, wear

Weaknesses:    None...you get what you pay for with the Hans Dampf

Bottom Line:
All around outstanding tire! Riding these front and rear on my Niner RIP9 and absolutely love them! I ride lots of different conditions: hardpack, muddy, slippery rock, loose rock, etc. I have tried several different tires in the past and these are my favorite by a long shot. I don't really ride loose soil, so unfortunately I can't comment there, but my cornering has vastly improved since purchasing these tires. I bought them on sale for $65/each so the deal was unbeatable, but after riding them for 4 months now, I would have no problem paying full price next time. Great durability so far...great tire!

Duration Product Used:   4+ months

Purchased At:   online

Bike Setup:   Niner RIP9

Submitted by Nurse Ben a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2012

Strengths:    Durable, sticky, high quality

Weaknesses:    Cost

Bottom Line:
I'm riding the Pacestar compound on a 29er muni, going on three months of constant use, two to three rides a week. I ride in the Southeast, so lots of wet, rooty, rocky, so far nothing has slowed this tire down. I have ridden every high volume 29er tire, my previous favorite was the Ardent 2.4, a good tire for sure, but the Hans is a much better tire. Hans is durable, smooth riding, bi directional tread works well, sticky enough without wearing out too fast, fairly light considering size and design, high volume like the RR 2.4. Like other posters stated, it's the best far 29er tire to date!

Favorite Trail:   Haw Ridge

Duration Product Used:   three months

Similar Products Used:   Ardent 2.4, RR 2.4, Dissent 2.5, Kodiak 2.5, Weirwolf LT, Rampage, Mountain King

Bike Setup:   KH 29, 47mm rim, Nimbus Oracle Disc hub

Submitted by Jimmy the Hoff a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2012

Strengths:    Very sticky; excellent consistency on the trail; great control under hard braking, cornering, and steep descents; TL ready and a floor pump are a snap with SunRingle Expert or Stan's ArchEX wheels.

Weaknesses:    Expensive.

Bottom Line:
I bought these for trail riding - I found that my Racing Ralph's and Nobby Nic's wore pretty fast under regular use on the trails I like, so I wanted tires that were more durable and would give me more traction on climbs and descents.

These are fantastic tires for trail riding - period. They roll pretty well - they are not RR's or NN's though; so don't be surprised on flats. But, they really hold the trail when you are flying past your comfort zone.

Climbing was surprisingly good, I was able to clear a steep lose sandstone sections that I struggle with on my RR's.

Schwalbe makes great tires - they precision in manufacturing is the only reason I'll pay $75/tire - hence the 4 chili for value (I really want to give it a three chili for value - but, these tires are bad a**; so I will buy them again).

Favorite Trail:   Captain Jack's (Colorado Springs)

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   Nevagal; Captain Control; Racing King

Bike Setup:   Niner EMD9; all XT; Stan's ArchEX 29er
Yeti 575; all XO; Mavic CrossMax ST (floor pump does not work well with these - I use CO2)

Submitted by Rumblefisher

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2012

Strengths:    Grip

Weaknesses:    None for me

Bottom Line:
Great tire so far! More cornering grip than the 29-4 Bontragers that they replaced. I'm not a racer so I can't say much about the rolling resistance. They seem to roll fine to me. I also appreciate the heavy sidewalls for protection from damage.

Submitted by Ratigan a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2012

Strengths:    Grip is INCREDIBLE. 850g is pretty good for a tubeless 29er tire this big with sidewall snakeskin protection. I can push them SCREAMIN' FAST on the DH with tons of confidence!!! FUN ...........

Weaknesses:    Ran both front and rear but felt sluggish on the flats and climbing. (ONLY reason I gave 4 chilis for Overall Rating)

Bottom Line:
Just went Niner with my RIP9. I've been running Nobby Nic tires on my Mavericks for several years and LOVE them. The shop only had one Nobby Nic 29 in stock and the guys RAVED over the Hans Dampf ... they were a few bucks less so I bought 2 for front and rear. They felt a bit sluggish on the flats - the road in particular - and livened up on the dirt flats. Ran them for about a month. I wasn't satisfied so bought 2 Nobby Nics when they came in. Expensive, but gotta get the right feel, ya know? The Nics felt much better with rolling, but I really noticed a looser front end on the faster DH loose turns ... So, put a Hans on the front and kept the Nic on the rear .... WHAT A COMBO! The Nobby Nic rolling resistance is MUCH less so it pedals much easier, it breaks loose a tiny bit in the back very predictably to help set up the turns, while the Hans Dampf keeps the front in perfect form!

Favorite Trail:   Mount Laguna

Purchased At:   Bike Bling, Escondid

Similar Products Used:   Nobby Nic, Kenda Nevegal, Panaracer Fire XC, Maxxis Crossmark, Maxxis Larsen TT, Maxxis Igniter, Maxxis High Roller, WTB Velociraptor, Maxis Minions

Bike Setup:   Niner RIP9, Maverick DUC fork, SLX crankset, XX drive train, Stans Flow rims - WTB hub rear, Maverick hub front

Submitted by anthony.delorenzo

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2012

Strengths:    Killer grip, especially in corners. Tough casing. Tubeless ready.

Weaknesses:    Not the fastest tire out there, but honestly doesn't feel much slower than my Nobby Nics.

Bottom Line:
This is the best 29er tire to date for all-mountain riding. It inspires massive confidence with braking and cornering, and albeit not a race tire it is not particularly heavy or slow rolling.

I've been using Schwalbe tires the past three years and this is my new favorite.

Tubeless set up was no problem on my Easton Havens, they sealed quickly and have been 100% reliable since.

Similar Products Used:   Nobby Nic, Racing Ralph, Nevegal, Mountain King, Rampage, Exiwolf

Bike Setup:   Chromag Surface 29er, Easton Haven wheeset

Submitted by roll0ver a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2012

Strengths:    These tires are ridiculously sticky and grippy (there's a difference). The most important thing to me is that they don't rip on the terrain I'm riding since everything else does (Nevegals, Maxxis, etc). So far, these tires have held up without issue. They are super chubby at about 2.35 and offer a ton of confidence in turns.

Weaknesses:    Not a race tire. The knobs are good for traction but clear speed limiters.

Bottom Line:
These are great all-around, all-you-can-throw-at-em tires. With the cost of tires easily over $50 a pop, I know these are a good investment.

Favorite Trail:   Breakheart