Rubena V98 Kratos 29er Tire

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)
Weight : 650g MSRP : $64.99

A great all-aroundTire for your 29er with an openTread patternThat balances grip and rollability.  ETRTO: 57-622 (29X2.25) Weight: 650 grams (claimed) Folding bead

Submitted by yo bob

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2013

Strengths:    Price, well made, supple

Weaknesses:    Volume

Bottom Line:
I've mounted and tried running these tires three times in a two year period. All three times they maxxed out at 2.03 ish wide, on a 19 inside width rim (stans 355). The volume is small as well. A crossmark and ignitor look huge on the same rim. A 2.25 Nobby Nick looks like a blimp.

All three times mounting these tubeless required tire levers and a compressor. The bead fits really tight on a Stans 355. For a tubeless ready tire. I felt the sidewalls had way to many pinholes. It takes days to get these tires to stop weeping. Also the weighed 704 grams a piece vs advertised 660 grams. As a ht rider, was really hoping for a more true to size 2.25 size.

Once you get them sealed up and mounted the dual compound of this tire does have some positives. It's a well made tire with supple sidewalls. Very fast rolling. Does well in moist conditions.

I tried to like these tires. After fighting with them three different times trying to get these mounted and sealed up. I am done with these tires. Non tubeless Maxxis and Shwalbe mount up and seal much better than these. TLR Bontrager tires also mount up easily on my 355's. It's not worth the hassle of mounting these tires only to have to run high pressures to keep from bashing your rims. Felt like stepping back 15 years to 1.9 tires with tubes.

Submitted by Learux

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2013

Strengths:    Good balance between grip and rolling resistance. Price $33 on amazon
Weight.
Seems to wear slow

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Good looking tire, that performs great. I replaced a slant six with the Kratos. Give up a little rolling resistance and get a lot of grip in return.

I bought the all black version. Curious how much better the race version grips.(dual color)

Using it as a front tire.

Mounted easy on my WTB stryker wheel/ Have not try to mount tubeless.

Submitted by MtLuke

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2013

Strengths:    Rolls decently, good predictable grip

Weaknesses:    A little small in volume, but it doesn't seem to ride that way

Bottom Line:
Bought a rear tire to replace a worn out Nobby Nic SS. I read a few good reviews online and was willing to try something new.I have not set it up tubeless yet so review is with a tube in it.
Tire is dual compound with grey corner knobs that provide great traction.
I checked size with caliper and it says it's about 2.1" in width not the 2.25 as rated by Rubena.
I was a bit concerned about the small volume but the tire doesn't seem to ride like a narrow tire. I would say traction is slightly better on rocks than my NN and rolls about the same.
Tire is very supple and rides on soft side, I had to run a few more psi in tire to keep sidewalls stiff enough while cornering.I think I'm running about 28psi as oppossed to about 24 with NN-I weigh about 210lbs, but the tire is still supple.
Braking and driving traction are great and they seem to hook up well in the wet conditions in the N. E. this summer
Overall I'm very pleased, if I didn't look I couldn't tell it was smaller volume by the ride qualities.
I do see some evidence of the side knobs wearing a little, I might have about 100 miles on them so far.I do ride trails that have a lot of rocks in them so I guess it's kind of expected. It's not terrible but I'll have to see how things progress. The NN wasn't much different in this regard, slight wear after just a few rides.
Have not tried it on front, I like a meatier tire like a Rampage on front but online reviews were favorable.

Submitted by dhosinski

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2012

Strengths:    Great traction and control. Rolls fast even with Fall conditions (leaves, roots etc.) Comfortable

Weaknesses:    None so far....

Bottom Line:
I bought the Rubena Kratos because the Bontrager XR3 tires I that were on my 2011 Gary Fisher SUPERFLY we horrible. I had considered other tires, but the KRATOS had great reviews and I got them at a very good price, plus "free shipping" so on complaints.
I was a bit worried about the size, but the first time out on the trail removed all worries, and in fact increase my confidence. These are absolutely the best tires I've ever ridden.
On one of the trails we ride, there is a climb that has roots, rocks, loose dirt, and leave that would normally take a lot out of you. I scaled it and couldn't believe I was at the top looking for more. The tire just clawed through the whole thing like it wasn't even there.
I highly recommend these to anyone who rides XC in the Midwest.

Submitted by manwe a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2012

Strengths:    lightweight UST tire, great traction, awesome price. Set up and sealed with a floor pump.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I put this on my new giant anthem and took those crappy Schwalbe's Racing Ralph off. I also changed the wheelset out to, I only paid 59.99 for my UST brand. I really like the tread pattern on these as the Pysclla favored the crossmarks pattern. I put the Pysclla on the back in the Kratos on the front.

Favorite Trail:   Northshore Grapevine, TX

Duration Product Used:   30 miles

Purchased At:   Cadence Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Crossmark, WTB Werewolf, Panaracer Fire XC, Specialized 2bliss, Schwalbe Racing Ralph.

Bike Setup:   2013 Giant Anthem 29 x2 with an Easton Haven UST wheelset.