Panaracer Rampage 29 29er Tire

4.5/5 (50 Reviews)
Weight : 788 grams MSRP : $84.00

Panaracer Rampage 29er Kevlar Tire: Deep traction 29er tire works well in hardpack and loose conditions. Zero Slip Grip natural rubber performs on wet or dry surfaces. Ramped center knobs with X-siping, double block reinforced cornering knobs.

Submitted by Mark

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2012

Strengths:    grip, inspires confidence, gives an XC bike AM bike manners

Bottom Line:
Used Bontrager 29-1s which came on my Trek Superfly 100 AL elite. I ride technical local trails and needed more control in cornering and in really technical rocky areas. Switched to the Rampages front and back and on my first ride I was leaning in corners with no slippage like the 29-1s had. I also hammered much faster with more confidence in the technical sections. It made my really fast XC 29er have a more AM feel to the bike which is exactly what I was looking for.

Submitted by 4nbstd a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2012

Strengths:    Wide (2.35")
Cheap
One of the lighter tires in its category

Weaknesses:    None that I've experienced.

Bottom Line:
I don't ride in mud unless there's no other way to get around, so I can't tell how it does in mud. But on dry dirt, gravel and rocks, it handles very well.

I'm not sensitive enough and/or experienced enough to notice a big difference in something like tire tread, but I do notice if they suck a lot. These don't suck at all.

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Ignitor

Bike Setup:   2010 Kona Unit Rigid SS 29er
Flow rims / Chris King SS hub

Submitted by jordanbob3599

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2012

Strengths:    big air volume, good traction, great reliability

Weaknesses:    nothing notable

Bottom Line:
better than Maxis Ignitor for ail volume. seems as good as the Ardent. I'm now running the Rampage front and rear. Happy!

Submitted by bryan123 a Weekend Warrior from Fairfield, California

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2012

Strengths:    Hooks up on everthing. wears extremely well. Converts to tubeless well.

Bottom Line:
Love this tire. I've been looking for them at the LBS, haven't found one in a while. Oh well, it will let me try out some other tread patterns as well.

Submitted by ihaveagibsonsg a Cross Country Rider from san diego

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2011

Strengths:    Grippy, comfortable, durable, reliable, affordable

Bottom Line:
This tire just flat out rocks. Most people complain about it being heavy but you can't expect a 2.35 tire to roll as quickly as a 2.1 tire. If you're looking for an all around tire, this one cant be beat. Plus most people ride to stay in shape anyway so I embrace the extra fitness these tires are giving me. I bought them for the rainy season but they will now be on year round. I didn't get a single flat running them at 25 psi with tubes. I got a pinch flat with the small block 8s after 4 miles. They eat rock gardens and confidently link up on dry and gravely trails. There also very affordable. I got both tires from performance bike for only $70. I have 500 miles on mine and they look unused still.

Favorite Trail:   big rock

Purchased At:   performance bike

Similar Products Used:   Exiwolf, weirwolf, ardent, small block 8, nevegal

Bike Setup:   Gt sensor 9r expert

Submitted by suvacrew a Racer from Raumati Beach, Paraparaumu, NZ

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2011

Strengths:    Grip/Traction, wears great, confident and predictable on the front. OK mudder.

Weaknesses:    May not tuck away between some chain stays. It's all of 2.35 and maybe a smidge more. Weight...but heck, you can make up with a faster descent.

Bottom Line:
Very similar to Nevegal but lasts heaps longer. Corners great and the volume has NEVER had me standing around with a pinch flat. I only roll these on the front as there isn't much clearance on the Alma chain stays.
I run the Rampages on the Front and Rear on my 26" SC Blur LT2 and may never change away from them. The Kendas can't hold a torch to these hoop covers.

Favorite Trail:   Makara trail network

Purchased At:   Biketiresdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Jones ACX 29, Racing Ralphs, Conti Mountain King

Bike Setup:   Orbea Alma World Cup 29er, Reba 100, XTR on Spinergy Xyclones.
Rampage front, Slant six or SM 8 rear.

Submitted by thesenator a Weekend Warrior from Pittsburgh, PA

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2011

Strengths:    I've using these tires for three seasons now, and still lots of tread remaining.

They work well in all conditions, mud, sand, rocks, roots, dry trails, etc.

Weaknesses:    None. Some users say they are heavy, but I weigh over 210 lbs, so what's a few grams.

Bottom Line:
I believe these would be a good choice for anyone except maybe 150 lb XC racer or weight weannie.

Favorite Trail:   ???

Purchased At:   Dirty Harry's

Similar Products Used:   These were my first set of 29er tires.

Bike Setup:   Turner Sultan, Reba, XT.

Submitted by askeetskeet11 a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta, Ga

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2011

Strengths:    Grippy as hell

Weaknesses:    a little heavy

Bottom Line:
I bought these after I skidded down a rock on my face because the stock ones came out from under me when they shouldn't have. These things are leagues above those kendas. I haven't slipped on anything on the trail except for stuff that only an FJ40 on IROKs would get up. Great tire.

Purchased At:   biketiresdirect.com

Bike Setup:   Fisher X-Cal with race face riser bar, odi lock ons, Fox F29

Submitted by ALS650L a Weekend Warrior from VT

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2011

Strengths:    Durable, easy set up tubeless, long lasting tread, good traction front or rear in all northest conditions.

Weaknesses:    Could be considered heavy by some. Will slip on wet roots if you're not careful.

Bottom Line:
I bought a set of these tires coming into fall last year. I was looking for a good wet condition tire. I still have them on. I really like it on the front. I initially had them both set in the front rotation direction but found the rear locked up under braking easily and I could also spin it under power pretty easily. I switched the rear to the rear rotation direction and like it a lot. Braking traction is great and it's much harder to break loose under power. Both of mine set up very easily on stans flows. The rear had a couple spots on the sidewall that weeped but after a few days it was fine. I have not added stans to the front since mounting it. They both hold air great, I might put a few pounds in after a week or two. They will slide a bit on wet roots but it's very predictable. With a little technique you can almost completely avoid spinning the rear on wet roots. The front rarely slides out on wet roots, but it will. They seem to be handling all other conditions very well. I think I'm going to continue running these, especially on the front.

Favorite Trail:   Kingdom Trails/Millstone

Purchased At:   Bike29

Similar Products Used:   Conti RaceKing 2.2, WTB Wolverine

Bike Setup:   Cannondale 29er.

Submitted by roger racer a Racer from sleepy hollow,new york

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2011

Strengths:    good strong side wall .can run low psi with no problems ,awesome in the rocks wet or dry = set up tube less no problem

Weaknesses:    slow rolling

Bottom Line:
love this tire in the rocks. it just flat out works ,you can run it low psi with no problems at all .it does spin a little slow but i use it as a front tire only .It is my go to tire for riding & racing in the rocks.And I ride a lot of rocks = for a fast race with not a lot of rock's i would use a racing Ralph in front.But you can't go wrong with this tire very dependable tire .I am running it on two of my bikes right now

Favorite Trail:   monster trail, blue Mt

Purchased At:   Briarcliff bike work

Similar Products Used:   just about everything

Bike Setup:   voodoo Aizan ,Stans wheels with king hubs,xtr drive train ,Rampage in the front and a racing Ralph or Raven in the rear

Submitted by mike29 a Weekend Warrior from ny

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2011

Strengths:    grip, grip, grip, strong sidewalls

Weaknesses:    weight

Bottom Line:
paired with a 28mm wide rim these tires are amazing. not as sticky as the nevegal, but less rolling resistance, sturdy sidewalls, great tire on north shore trails

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   kenda nevegal

Bike Setup:   xxIX+g 2011

Submitted by panzer07 a Weekend Warrior from Fremont CA USA

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2010

Strengths:    Grips superb in corners, big and cushy, works well on everything from dry hardpack to loam

Weaknesses:    heavy and slow roller

Bottom Line:
Have tried many different tires on my Rip9 and this is by far the best front tire ever. Too heavy and slow for the rear though as I use a Rocket Ron out back.

Favorite Trail:   Demo

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe Rocket Ron, Racing Ralph-suck!, Maxis Ignitor, Kenda Nevegal and SB8

Bike Setup:   Niner Rip9 set up as allaround trailbike

Submitted by intheopen a Weekend Warrior from Dallas

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2010

Strengths:    Great traction

Bottom Line:
This tire is exceptional in loose conditions. I run it front and rear(the rear is run backwards)

It is nice to dive through a creek crossing and power up the other side in the mud and it just hooks up.

I'm running it with tubes at about 30psi(I weigh 150)

Great tire.

Favorite Trail:   Northshore

Bike Setup:   2011 Stumpjumper HT 29er

Submitted by kgbarth a Weekend Warrior from Norway / Singapore

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2010

Strengths:    Good traction on sandy, dry or wet compacted singletrack. Sheds mud well. Good traction on dry rock.

Weaknesses:    Slippery on wet rocks. And not just a little.

Bottom Line:
Good allround tire in a tropical climate. I do not yet know how the rubber compound behave in a temperate climate.
If riding lots of wet rocks and you can fit a Kodiak take that in stead.

Favorite Trail:   Vettakollen / Pulau Ubin