Panaracer Driver 29 Pro 29er Tire

4.43/5 (7 Reviews)

The Driver29Pro is a light, fast, 590g. all around performer. Made to fly through the straights and still give plenty of bite on the corners this tire inspires confidence in every dryer condition ride you can throw at it.

Panaracer Driver Pro 29er Tire - First Impressions

The tires feel fast on a climb and rollers. And there’s enough cush there to keep me comfortable on my rigid 29er. The descending was impressive as I was able to push and push but I didn’t feel like I was on the ragged edge. Continue reading →

Submitted by abrahamfroham

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2013

Strengths:    Cornering, volume, price, tubeless setup, quality

Weaknesses:    Braking

Bottom Line:
This is an interesting tire in that it is a semi-slick with very aggressive cornering tread. Volume is very good and it mounted tubeless easily with a floor pump. No loss of air pressure or sidewall leaking etc. Weight is low and price is relatively low. Rolling is good, but that is difficult to really quantify without using science and stuff. What surprised me about this tire is how you can aggressively toss it into corners and it holds much better than a typical semi-slick type tire. The side lugs extend far down the sidewall and are well supported. Similar in concept to the Kenda Happy Medium, this tire is a great semi-slick option for someone who likes to corner aggressively. Only weakness is straight line braking, but that is expected given the micro knob center. I haven't tried this tire on the front.

Submitted by fullMonte

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2013

Strengths:    Fast cornering, hardpack acceleration, impressive lateral grip, light weight, holds air well, no burps

Weaknesses:    Spins some on loose climbs

Bottom Line:
I've had the Driver 29 Pro on the rear of a Pivot Mach 429 FS for about 6 weeks and 220+ miles of TN single track. Mounted it tubeless with a rachet strap and air compressor. Running 25-29psi under my 200lb heft. The trails I ride are usually hardpack with lots of loose over hard, embedded rocks, and some leaves. I have waited to ride in the wet before putting forth an opinion on this tire. The lateral grip is far better than any other tire I've experienced (Race King, Nobby Nic, Kenda Karma & Nevegal). This tire holds a line on a nasty side slope trail where others slide and cause a chocolate hostage in the shorts. Even in shallow slop it does alright, although deep mud will probably cause a case of sit & spin. Downhill braking is decent considering the short center knobs don't have much depth to bite into the trail. It does OK in rock gardens, but boulders will tear up the small mid knobs. Wear is visible, but I think it will go 500 miles easy, which is more than can be said for the Nobby Nic I shredded knobs off at 220 miles. In summary, the Driver 29 Pro will be my Go To tire for the rear. Will try one on the front next.

Submitted by Ace a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2012

Strengths:    Fast rolling. Light. Solid cornering. Holds a good bead tubeless.

Weaknesses:    Not so hot in sand or climbing...but it's not really made for that.

Bottom Line:
This is a great tire for the price. I live in the Midwest and for longer endurance racing this tire is about as good as it gets. Fast on the straights and predictable in the corners. Lightweight but not because it's poorly made etc.

Similar Products Used:   Rocket Rons, CG Cross Country 29r, Nevegals

Bike Setup:   29r Ti

Submitted by Dusza a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight, fast, predictable cornering, nice handling

Weaknesses:    Fragile, wears fast

Bottom Line:
I bought this tire because I was wasn't happy with the cornering performance of my already heavy Race Kings and because it was rather cheap (compared to my Maxxis Ikon uber-exo-version). Took it touring in Wales with a mix of gravel, stony double track, singletrack and tarmac. I've used this as a rear tire and after only 350 km it showed considerable amounts of wear. I've also had the pleasure of slicing my sidewall in the middle of nowhere. I managed to stitch the tire using dental floss and with some patches and duct tape. I must say that after 50 kms off road (this time as a front tire), with some singletrack, it still holds it's ground and I'll probably finish it on local non demanding rides.
I suppose it would make a great race day tire but I wouldn't count on it for anything extended again.

Similar Products Used:   Conti Race King (wire), Maxxis Ikon (eXC/3C/EXO)

Submitted by Singlespeedy a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2012

Strengths:    I got these tires from my LBS when my Continental Race Kings went on backorder before the Sea Otter Classic. The shop owner was very enthusiastic about these and even showed me that he was using them on his race bike. Sold. I was skeptical to change tires before a race but I had no other choice. Went out and prerode the course the day before and wow...excellent! Very light, hold tubeless well, very fast roller and great cornering. Just a tad loose for my singlespeed on torky climbs but great overall.

Weaknesses:    Like I said, for a singlespeed out of the saddle climbing these were a little loose. I have only had 2 days riding on them but they have yet to show sign of wear.

Bottom Line:
I like them a lot. Great race day tire. Will have to see how they wear.

Similar Products Used:   Continental Race King 2.2, Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4

Bike Setup:   Singlespeed tubeless with Caffe Latex.

Submitted by WaitWienie a Racer from San Jose, Ca

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2012

Strengths:    Fast Rolling, Great on transition and cornering, Weight, XC

Weaknesses:    Little thin on top not for super Rocky terrain.

Bottom Line:
My only experience with these tires was during a XC race and 1 trail ride. Even without riding them before the tires made me very very confident charging and accelerating through and out of corners even though I had them around 35psi( Could have ran them lower and I am sure traction in corners would have increased even more, even though it was more than enough ) During my trail ride there were a few road sections and fast hard packed dirt fireroads which these tires rolled through effortlessly, because the tread is low in the middle however, out of saddle efforts on steep climbs with loose terrain took a bit of positioning on the bike to not spin the tire out. Took them down a pretty gnarly rock garden section and got a small pin puncture that was sealed with sealant immidiately so not sure how well they will handle a lot of sharp rock abuse. Bottom line... If your an XC guy looking for a fast tire that can give you confidence in the corners I would highly recommend these tires they rock!!!! I may have only had a chance to uses them for 2 rides but they have certainly left a good taste in my mouth that will make me come back for more.

Favorite Trail:   Saratoga Gap

Purchased At:   Test Tires

Similar Products Used:   CrossMark, Ritchey Shield

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Carbon Highball, Syncros Rigid Fork, XTR 1X10, Formula R1 Brakes, Specialized Carbon Rovals

Submitted by SlowerThenSnot a Racer from Hurricane, UT

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2012

Strengths:    I was sent a pair about a month ago...

I've put about 500 miles on them. Riding trail around SW Utah, sand, and slickrock and a fair bit of commuting....

This is a very fast, semi high volume tire that sure seems like it can corner well!

It surprised me in the sand how well it floated even without lowering the pressure too much. The side nobs seem to be in the right spot as i'm turning....

its one of the better micro nobby's in that respect, i'd give it a nod over the fasttracks i've been playing with, and far better then a nano in cornering....

2 nits to pick so far it feels a bit odd on the slickrock, may just be pressures i was playing with..25-37psi. feels like your kinna balancing on the nobs and the casing is moving the other way... i got used to it but was kinna odd,

front braking traction has a bit to be desired but i wasn't expecting much there.... throwing back pressure on the tire on the fixed drive train seemed fine

If you like nanos, or fast tracks i think you really ought to give a pair of these a try....

oh and the two tires i received came in at 630 and 611 grams on my crappy scale...

I setup both of my tires on duster rims, one tire with Slime pro and one with stans tubeless, I had to use a air compressor to pop the bead, but no issues with tubeless thus far

I think this is the cats meow for a fast semi agro XC tire or endurance race tire!

Weaknesses:    Super chunck downhill, mud

Bottom Line:
If your looking for a fast tire that isn't to light or too heavy and a nano or small block aren't doing it for yah. this really may be the holy grail for me of a tire that can do most things pretty damn well

Favorite Trail:   the one i'm currently riding