Maxxis Minion DHR II 29er Tire

Submitted by Silly Man a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2013

Strengths:    Extra dampening. Cornering/Grip. Reasonably fast rolling for the type. Durability (still to be proven)
Great all-Mountain Tire, overkill for XC/Trail.

Weaknesses:    Expensive ($92 CDN). There are faster rolling tires out there.

Bottom Line:
This is just a quick review after only a handful of rides on them. I run the DHR II 29er front and back on my Tallboy LTc.

Totally psyched for these to be in a 29er format. I haven't tried the HR II however, on paper, these are lighter.

I have ridden Hans Dampf and Nobby Nic and my biggest disappointment were the lack of durability. I peeled the side knob of my HD after 1 1/2 month of sporadic riding. I got maybe 20-30 hours of riding on them. Same with the NN although the 2.35 NN lasted the longest.

A bit premature to write a review on these DHR but one word comes to mind... the overuse term AWESOME! This tire set feels like you have extra dampening characteristic. Like the rubber as no memory. Not as bouncy.

I run 20-21 up front and 23-24 back. Ran the same pressure on HD, NN and Specialized Purgatory.

If you are an aggressive and technical rider that likes to go fast and giver, this is for you.

Time will tell how good they are. Finally a tire worthy of the SC Tallboy LTc.

Let her rip...

Favorite Trail:   Any trail but loved Captain Ahab

Duration Product Used:   1 week

Purchased At:   Bicycle Cafe

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35, Nobby Nic 2.35 and 2.25, Specialized Purgatory 2.3. WTB Weirwolf LT 2.3 (loves them trimmed but not very durable)

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc (medium) with Fox Float 34 140mm, havoc Carbon Bars (750mm), 35mm Havoc Stem, 2x10 (24/36) XT drivetrain, Specialized Command post, Bionicon chain guide.

Minion DHR II single ply?

Where are they? Not released yet? I'm currently using DHF 2.70 42a / DHR 2.50 42a with tubes. However I find them overkill for an AM bike. First of all I'll get rid of tubes, than change front to 2.50 single ply 42a with exo protection, rear to 2.40 single ply 60a with exo protection. I foun ... Read More »

maxxis highroller II or minion DHR II

Hi, I am looking for a more aggressive trail/ all mountain riding tires for the southern california terrain. it is for a Santa Cruz Blur LTc if anyone wants to know. currently riding on specialized ground control on this bike and they do roll pretty fast and it's light, but does wash out on you ... Read More »