Maxxis Ikon 29er Tire

4.69/5 (13 Reviews)

Maxxis Minion-DHF W 26 x 2.5" MP-60 Tire: Ramped knobs for low rolling resistance, fore-to-aft channel cut knobs for straight line control, large block side knobs for cornering.

Submitted by NZ Rider a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2016

Strengths:    fast, light, good wear, reasonable on the back

Weaknesses:    expensive. outright scary on the front if you're looking for confidence. replaced with Ardent Race which was better without adding too much weight. poor on loose both front and rear

Bottom Line:
Not a first choice

Favorite Trail:   Canterbury NZ

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Purchased At:   with bike

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer XC fire for 15 years. Purgatory, Butcher, Continental, Maxxis other

Bike Setup:   S.Cruz

Submitted by Limited Garry a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2016

Strengths:    Slow wear (lasts long), fast rolling, respectable traction most anywhere, very predictable,

Weaknesses:    Non-EXO isn't very durable, unsuitable for very harsh environments, punctures are common, not as fast rolling at low pressure, poor braking performance, slimy mud sticks to it like glue, can be a liability on damp technical climbs.

Bottom Line:
I had this 2.25" tire front and rear for about 4 months. Or rather over 2200km, to really give you a picture. The front is almost as new, the rear has less than a millimeter of center tread left, possibly even less than half a millimeter. It still does the job, although I've been getting increasing amounts of flats. And when you get a tiny shard of glass punching right through the tread, where the tire is the thickest, you know it's time to change. I'll be moving the front tire to the rear and I've already got Maxxis Ardent to place on the front.

The first thing I can say, this tread wears down very slowly. I've been doing lots of exploration and long-day trips during the summer and did trips as long as 160km. The tire has seen a lot of tarmac. Whole. Lot. Of freaking tarmac. Nightmare for most MTB tires, but the Ikon is made for this. Considering I weight over 100kg, lighter rider may get over 3000km on this tire easy. So despite the tire being pricier than most would like, it retains it's value through longevity.

Many people are praising the Ikon for being a fast rolling tire, but it's main strength lies elsewhere. Yes, it rolls quite fast, but there are better (faster) tires in that category. While it is most at home on hardpack, you can take it pretty much anywhere else. It won't be excellent, but it'll be good enough. So as far as XC goes, I'd really call this tire an all-rounder.

I'd recommend the Ikon to anyone who's looking for a jack-of-all-trades tire for their XC rides. No matter if you're a beginner exploring their own capabilities, or a seasoned rider exploring remote locations, where there's no telling what kind of terrain you'll be getting into. The traction is very good, given the quite small pattern, and it's easy to predict when you're about to push on the limits of the tire and risk washing out.
The only place where it's guaranteed to let you down is sticky mud. You know, those soft trails alongside fields, after rain. They'll cover the Ikon so perfectly you'll be effectively converting it into a mud tire (see what I did there?) If you want to make things worse, ride over some tiny rocks right after, and you'll be shooting small projectiles all around you for miles to come. The Ikon simply won't have your back on that one.

Although I do like the tire, I can't say I won't opt for something else once I wear down the other tire. Or perhaps I'll keep it for special occasions or lengthy trips and switch sooner. I haven't decided what my rear tire is going to be, yet. While the Ikon is versatile, fast and grippier than one would expect, it just doesn't deliver on technical climbs in woods, where damp soil and rocks are constant almost any time of the year. Even if I put every bit of effort into consistent pedaling, it does slide every here and there. Combined with the poor braking performance, which can make one nervous in steep downhill sections, it makes me want to look for slightly more grip in my next rear tire. That said, I had a blast riding the Ikons. Visited a lot of places, found a lot of potential regular trails. Every tire has a good side and bad side, some are better, some are worse, and there's no way I could say the Ikon is anything short of great, albeit with a price to match.

Submitted by Gags a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2016

Strengths:    Amazing levels of grip. Easy to setup tubeless. Seem to be reasonable for wear but time will tell.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I running the 2.35" 29er tyres with EXO sidewalls on my Surly Karate Monkey singlespeed. Have been running Specialized The Captain for some time and I couldn't believe how much extra grip the Ikons gave me as soon as I fitted them. I am running Stans Arch rims and I was able to get these tyres to seat on the rim and inflate using a track pump only and initially without any sealant!! I am about 103 kg (about 225 lbs) and after playing around with pressures I ended up at about 30 psi which is a bit higher than I used to run The Captains but my bike is hooking up on the corners better than it ever has and one mate in particular who is usually quicker than me through the twisty stuff is now not able to keep up with me :)

Favorite Trail:   Epic Trail (Mount Buller)

Purchased At:   Pushy

Similar Products Used:   Specialized The Captain
Specialized Renegade
Specialized Fast Trak

Bike Setup:   Surly Karate Monkey SS with Fox Float fork.

Submitted by OLx6 a Racer

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2016

Strengths:    Handles the varied conditions of upper Midwest single track very well. Predictable grip on dry hard pack, soft black dirt, and some mud. Grip is consistent across the tire and they hold well on the corners. The tires have been ridden on dirt and some pavement and show little to no signs of wear. They roll up to speed quickly and seem to have little rolling resistance. If the tires loose grip you know before they break away completely. Volume and width is acceptable for the tire's rating. The tires do stretch if you air them up at higher pressures for a day or so.

Weaknesses:    They are a XC tire with many small knobs so they do not handle sloppy mud, and can pack up with mud if it is real sticky. To get the most out of the grip you need to weight the tires properly. I wish the casing was a little more supple.

Bottom Line:
I have the 29 x 2.2 version F/R on 25 mm internal width rims. They are great all around XC tires.

Similar Products Used:   Conti Race Kings, and Ritchey Shields come closest to the Ikons IMHO. I would rate the Ikon as much better in terms of grip, and slightly lower in terms of rolling resistance.

Bike Setup:   29er racing hardtail

Submitted by rliddane a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2016

Strengths:    - Incredible grip
- Width
- Versatility

Weaknesses:    - Really none so far

Bottom Line:
I have the 29x2.35 Tubless Ready, EXO and 3C version. I cannot overstate how much I love this tire. I am currently running it up front with my second (and last) GEAX AKA 29x2.2 tire in back. Once that tire wears out, I'll certainly be purchasing another Maxxis tire, perhaps the Ikon 29x2.2 but I haven't decided yet.

As for the Ikon, it just grips in every condition that I have ridden it on, I am mainly an XC biker and am just beginning to get into bikepacking. This tire gives great grip in everything, hard pack, rocky sections, shallow to deeper mud, snow, snow/ice combination. Hands down this has been the most beneficial upgrade I have done to my bike, it has allowed me to shave several minutes off my lap times, take corners faster and with more confidence, it really is awesome. The best thing about this tire is the way that it 'warns' you if it is going to slide out from under you. The tire begins to squirm a little but does not immediately break loose, this gives you enough time to correct your lean, speed or whatever and not fall over. This is someting which I cannot say about the GEAX AKA which came on my bike front and rear, it would just slide out from under you with no warning.

I'm not exactly sure how many miles I have on the tire (something I should probably work on but oh well) but I would say approximately 4 months of riding ~3 times per week, 15 trail miles per ride with some very occasional road riding thrown in. I think that this tire would be a fantastic purchase for a huge variety of riders. If you ride somewhere with consistently deep mud, maybe a mud-specific tire would suit your purposes better but I have yet to ride a better all-around tire. It truly is impressive.

Favorite Trail:   Maybury Trail

Duration Product Used:   Owned 6 months, ridden for four

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   GEAX AKA 29x2.2 front and rear

Bike Setup:   Airborne Seeker 29 XC bike, Rockshox Recon Gold, SRAM X5 Drivetrain, Avid Elixir 1 brakes

Submitted by icsloppl a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2013

Strengths:    Rolling resistance, transient cornering, predictability, weight.

Weaknesses:    Ultimately won't hold like a larger knob tire. Not a mud tire, but not intended to be. Rather spendy.

Bottom Line:
My Santa Cruz came stock with CrossMarks. I never wrecked as often. This is a far better tire in every way other than strait line rolling resistance, where it isn't far behind. i'm using them both front and rear.
It has very good climbing and cornering traction, and is predictable the limit, unlike the CrossMark.
Cornering transient behavior is also very good. Traction at various lean angles is consistent, and there is no waiting/hoping for the tire to achieve bite with the side knobs.
Used at lowish pressure, the small/micro knob design puts a lot of rubber in contact when climbing on rocks and roots as well.

Duration Product Used:   1 Month

Purchased At:   Universal Cycle

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz TallBoy C

Submitted by TurnerConvert a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2012

Strengths:    Fast rolling, reasonable volume, reasonable durability for their weight, good traction for my riding conditions; easy to set up tubeless

Weaknesses:    I was able to put put a hole through the center of the tread on the first ride on my hardtail

Bottom Line:
I have the Ikon set up on an Crest rim for my Specialized Epic and an Arch rim for my 29er hardtail - this is my go-to rear tire now. It sets up very easily tubeless and has proven to be impressively durable for a lightweight, mid-volume tire. Our local trails tend to be hardpack with larger embedded rock features - conditions that this tire excels at. By dropping the PSI a little bit, this tire really gets a lot of traction on the rocks, with little sacrifice of rolling resistance. IMO the microknob tires are a huge step up for normal aggressive XC riding. The two places where this tire might be found wanting would be on trails with lots of loose conditions because I don't think the knobs will penetrate well, and also I doubt this is going to be a great tire for riders with great cornering skills since the side knobs are pretty low profile. For me though this tire is about perfect on the back of my bike. I have been hesitant though to put it on the front - for the longest time I've had it paired with a Maxxis Ignitor, and I'm now looking at a couple higher-volume alternatives (Conti X-King 2.4 and WTB Weirwolf). I just want a slightly more aggressive tire on the front wheel.

As I noted in the weaknesses, my only disappointment with this tire occurred on my first ride with it mounted on the rear wheel of my hardtail. On the very first downhill I was able to punch a hole straight through the center of the tread. Granted that it sealed up relatively easily and it has been fine since, but this does serve as a reminder that it is a lightweight race-oriented tire, so it does have its limits.

In summary, I think many people would benefit from using this as a rear tire. If you pick your lines and don't bash every rock you see, the Ikon is a great compromise of low rolling resistance with good traction - I highly recommend it.

Similar Products Used:   WTB Prowler SL, Panaracer Rampage, Maxxis Ignitor (EXO and non-EXO), Specialized Resolution, Continental X-King 2.4

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic 29er, Blacksheep HT 29er

Submitted by Lucid a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2012

Strengths:    Very fast rolling and light. The side knobs give just enough traction to lay into corners without giving up rolling speed. The EXO system is the real deal; it gives exceptional strength while at the same time keeping the weight of the tire light. I have been impressed with the tire's performance as a rear tire; it hooks up great on climbs no matter the terrain.

Weaknesses:    I really have not found any. I was expecting it to slip more on wet terrain, but it really hooks up well.

Bottom Line:
I have now put about 200 mile of serious riding (Pisgah,NC ; Snake Gap, GA; Clemmer Mtn., TN) and this tire has held up great. I got it for 50 dollars through a sale, so that just made it even better. I initially got it for a race in Pisgah and was worried that it might be a bit light for the terrain. I was wrong: yes it is light, but it is also tough. I am going to keep it on until it wears out or fails, but to be honest, I don't think it will fail. This is a great fast rolling tire that hooks up better than expected and is suprisingly tough. Well worth the $.

Favorite Trail:   Racoon Mtn.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Bike Setup:   Rip 9

Submitted by dubdryver a Racer

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2012

Strengths:    Very good grip, Fast!!, long lasting!!
Sets up tubeless very well!

Weaknesses:    For the segment of durable race tire, very few.
Had one blister up, but Maxxis warrantied it.
There are better options when its really wet

Bottom Line:
I first used this tire as a loaner from a friend that was a tester with the prototypes back in July 2010 as a replacement for a torn tire. I was blown away, and couldn't wait for it to come out for retail!

I have been using this tire in combination as a front, rear or both all tubeless.
The tire has a really low rolling resistance, supple feel, durable sidewall, and tons of grip for such a tire!
I have used a lot of different XC tires, but this one is my favorite! It is the most predictable tire when transitioning the tire from the center of the tread transitioning onto its edge.
These tires have also lasted longer than most other tires that I have used while retaining its same grip and performance.

This tire isn't quite as supple as the Schwable Racing Ralph with a larger casting, but it does address the Racing Ralph's shortcomings: short life span, decayed performance, predictability while transitioning onto its edge. Some may argue this, but this is has just been my experience, and I never really got the performance out of the RR's that others have raved about. To me, the Ikon EXO is just the complete package for a high performance race tire!

I must also add that I have used the eXC model, and I recommend that one over this for lighter riders..probably 145lb. or less. The thicker sidewall of the EXO just gives a lot more performance at a small weight expense (about 50g)

For an all around setup, I want to add that the Ignitor 29 EXO 2.1 plays very well with this tire especially if experience a lot of loose rock or loose over hardpack.

Favorite Trail:   Many! I like to travel

Purchased At:   Online and LBS

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Crossmark 2.1(The Ikon is better in every aspect except for price)
Maxxis Ignitor (plays great with the Ikon)
Maxxis Ardent (great tire for another purpose)
Schwable Racing Ralph SS 2.25
Schwable Racing Ralph Performance 2.25 (like it better than the SS, even with more weight)
Continental Race King
Continental Mountain King
WTB ExiWolf
WTB Weirwolf (great tire, great traction for loose over hard, and rocks, but weak bead)
Gaex Saguaro
Specialized Fast Track S-Works LK 2.0
Specialized Fast Tracks Control 2.0 (currently my second favorite tire on the market for SS or XC racing)
Specialized Renegade (great grip, does not last, race day only tire)
Stan's Raven 29 2.2 ( touchy PSI setup, great grip, does not last, race day only tire)

Bike Setup:   I have the Maxxis Ikon 2.2 EXO on 3 different bikes:
Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon: Setup for trail with American Classic AM wheels (Maxxis Ardent front, Ikon EXO back)
Lynskey Pro29 SL Singlespeed: Race setup, Maxxis Ikon EXO front and rear
Salsa Selma: 1x10: Maxxis Ikon EXO 2.2 front, Specialized Fast Track Control 2.0 rear (Selma has a limited tire clearance, and the Ikon 2.2 fits, but likes to shoot rocks through the seat stays)

Submitted by Varaxis a Weekend Warrior from SoCal

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2011

Strengths:    Incredible balance of good grip, fast speed, and light weight. Impressive hardpack performance.

Weaknesses:    Terrible braking performance.
Poor tracking in loose loamy soil.
Expensive.

Bottom Line:
This is the best XC tire I've used yet, for SoCal dry desert hardpack. Their traction continues to impress me. On hardpack, they have more climbing and level ground traction than any other tire I've used, which includes knobbier ties like Ardent 2.4, Nevegal DTC 2.35, Rampage 2.35, and in 26" versions Bronson 2.3, Fat Albert F/R, High Roller 2.35, etc. On top of their speed and weight, it totally made XC trails even more fun. Try it and then believe it!

When the trail turns downwards and is steep, the poor braking performance can really cause you to screw up, if you're used to late and hard braking and a bit of sideways sliding. If I didn't have an ABP rear end, brake jack (locking up the rear susp) would make it even worse. It skids fairly easily, though not as badly as the Captain or SB8. Combine steep with loose and loamy (usually loose from people dragging their brakes), it becomes kind of sketchy, but that goes for most tires. These are just worse than other tires, such as the Nevegals, in these particular conditions.

I'm definitely riding these until they're bald and will likely keep reodering them to keep a pair of them on my XC wheels for good. For my Stans Flow wheelset, I'm going to go with slightly beefier tires (Panaracer CG XCs ATM) for those times I decide to hit the steep loose downhills such as at Big Bear.

1 chili off for value. I'm not accustomed to paying $60 for quality rubber, but considering your tires are your biggest contact point on your bike (vs pedals, grips, saddle), you definitely don't want to skimp here. You should have tires for each trail type, IMO, or at least the trail you ride a majority of the time. I feel getting the slightly beefier tire is a waste, since the Ikons actually do better in 90% of the riding I do.

Favorite Trail:   San Juan