Maxxis Ignitor 29er Tire

4.32/5 (28 Reviews)
Weight : 618 grams MSRP : $35.99

Light the fuse. The Maxxis Ignitor is a great 29er tire when you're riding in medium to loose conditions. The tread design was made for top-ranked World Cup Cross Country racers and has already graced the top step of the podium. The tread is well-spaced in the middle to let dirt flow in and out between the blocks while the tightly-spaced side knobs allow you to fly through the corners and use the saved speed to explode out of turns. The 70a rubber tread is tough and long lasting. The Maxxis Ignitor is produced only in 29x2.1. The casing has 60 TPI and the bead is foldable. The maximum inflation pressure is 65 PSI. The tread is made from 70a durometer rubber. 705g.

Submitted by Riverwolf a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2013

Strengths:    Capable in many conditions

Bottom Line:
This is a great tire for the terrain I ride (rooty, rocky, loose dirt and gravel) and without any issues so far I can say it's the best I've ridden on. I think there will be better tires for certain conditions like rain or trail type, but this tire is a great all-rounder. Just the right amount of bite in the corners and very good traction for the trails here in Southern Alberta. Stands up pretty well to alot of rough riding.

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager, Kenda Nevagal

Bike Setup:   Trek Stache 7, Deore XT 785 brakes

Submitted by Scotty17

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2012

Strengths:    For an all around tire that is fast rolling...good in wet/damp and dry hard pack...Ignitor is the tire for me! I am not a very smooth rider so I hit stuff...the side walls and overall quality of construction is amazing without the extra weight. No flats with the tubeless set up on my WTB trail 29.

Weaknesses:    In really muddy conditions I would like more bite. I know there are better tires fore these conditions....but these are not bad I try not to ride when its raining.

Bottom Line:
I am on my second set and I am going to put a 26' set on my Son's bike. I found a tire that works well in NoCA...so Im sticking with Ignitor.

Submitted by ssalmons

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2012

Strengths:    Great front tire (never used as rear), grips well, brakes well without skidding.

Bottom Line:
These tires work really well here in my area (st louis). They grip very well and give me confidence when attacking corners. They setup with Stan's sealant quickly without problems, bead seated easily on my Bontrager TLR rims.

Submitted by Mman a Cross Country Rider from Yardley, PA

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2011

Strengths:    Trustworthy front tire that is fast and grippy in most conditions. In my experience these tires have been very durable. I ride these at a higher psi and they grip like mad.

Weaknesses:    They seem a bit low on volume.

Bottom Line:
No complaints as a front tire; grips and rolls fast, but I am not feeling it in the back. I run it on the front around 35 psi tubeless and found that it would bottom out sub 30psi (170lb rider). Works well for me as a summer tire in dry trail conditions. Reliable and easy to set up with Stans.

Similar Products Used:   Nevegal, fast trak LK

Bike Setup:   tubeless 29, 1x9

Submitted by secretary7 a Cross Country Rider from Amarillo, Tx.

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2011

Strengths:    None that I can find! The rear hooks up well and bites hard.

Weaknesses:    Possibly a little loose for a front tire

Bottom Line:
I've been using these tires on front and rear for over 1yr.. They survived a 24hr. race and a lot of miles on both loose/hardpack high desert soil and Kentucky clay/mud. As a rear tire it's awesome I've never had a problem with loosing traction even on really steep switchbcks. As a front tire, I'm a bit more reserved, it looses traction when I'm really trying to carve a turn. I'll probably take advice from other folks here and maybe switch my front to a Kenda Nevegal (sp?). I will admit that I run my tires harder than most folks riding 29er's so it could be I'm running the front too hard. I'm still giving the tires a full 5 chili's for overall durability. I've been riding them almost weekly for 2-4 hours and they still have the rubber on the knobs from when I first got them. They're tough and I've been beating them! I'm old school though, no tubeless system for me.

Favorite Trail:   GS Trail System

Similar Products Used:   None for a 29er

Bike Setup:   SS Vassago Jabberwocky

Submitted by barnhorse a Cross Country Rider from Las cruces, NM, USA

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2011

Strengths:    Has good traction. Seems tough enough for rocks, etc.

Weaknesses:    I am using it tubeless. It is dissolving. The sealant is leaking out the sidewalls around the threads. I make my own sealant, but no one else seems to have this problem with the same recipe.

Bottom Line:
Not sure what to think. Good tires, I have used them in the past with no problems. I have seen other posts with similar problems with the Ignitors, recently.

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   Had this happen with Nevegals a few years back.

Submitted by jimbsport a Weekend Warrior from quebec

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2010

Strengths:    light weight, grip very well, corner good won't slid away

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
i use it as a rear tire with a kenda nevegal 2.2 in front. it grip really good but in front i want a bullet proof tire that will not slip, for a rear tire it can slip sometime but not much, lighter weight then the nevegal

Favorite Trail:   J-bar

Purchased At:   jenson

Similar Products Used:   kenda nevegal 2.1 on a 26"

Bike Setup:   gary fisher hi fi plus 2010

Submitted by john a Cross Country Rider from bangor pa usa

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2010

Strengths:    Hooks up great ,considering width and being a 250 lb rider. Fast rolling too.

Weaknesses:    None as of yet for me.

Bottom Line:
Hot set up for me is a nevigal on the front and ignitor for the back on both my bikes. Weighing 250 i feel i push the traction limits for both of these tires but have no complaints . I left off 1 chilli because only useing them for a short time period but im sure they will stand the test of time and earn the last chilli.

Favorite Trail:   east coast rideing

Purchased At:   vellodrome sale

Similar Products Used:   Bontroger jones

Bike Setup:   2010 Turner sultan full fox ,scram xo ,x9, chris king top to bottom,gravity dropper ,thompson, mavic 29er wheels. Niner sir 9 2 spd similar setup.

Submitted by desert scrub monkey a Weekend Warrior from central new mexico

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2010

Strengths:    Outstanding tracion in scree, sand and pointy rocks

Weaknesses:    noisy?

Bottom Line:
I find these tires are seriously grippy in all desert conditions including even when the surface is coarse cement covered with sand. Climbing is smooth and consistent and running along a moderate downhill, never lost confidence cornering the tire on narrow trails lined with cactus. Under hard braking from about 20MPH in a sandy trail to avoid running over a desert tortoise, the tire didn't slide. The rear came up pretty far though. There doesn't seem to be any problem with them getting cut spiky rock either but I do use slime filled tubes. I'll go with the weight considering all the local hazards.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   OEM

Similar Products Used:   several

Bike Setup:   9 speed, Manitou minute fork, hardtail

Submitted by Dgilmour1 a Racer from Nyack, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight, durable, tremendous traction in all conditions.

Weaknesses:    Only that if you run them tubeless the sidewall will wear out before the tread does. The tire is not built for tubeless so it does not have a thick sidewall. I put a tube in when they started to look bad.

Bottom Line:
Truly an amazing tire. I have run it now through four seasons and it grips in every condition. They are light and feel very quick. They are also durable and I have had no problems with the tire wear. I will probably use this tire until I can't get them any more.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mountain

Purchased At:   tree fort bikes

Similar Products Used:   WTB Exiwolf, WTB Motoraptor

Bike Setup:   07 Cannondale Caffeine 29er. ZTR wheels.

Submitted by simian23 a Cross Country Rider from Boston,MA

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2009

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance, great straightline traction (i.e. rear tire), relatively light weight

Weaknesses:    Need to run at high pressure, kind of weak sidewalls, wear out quickly, narrow width

Bottom Line:
This is a great rear tire for a fast-rolling, lightweight, single speed 29er. It sucks on the front, particularly if you run a rigid fork, because you have to run really high pressures or you'll get tons of pinch flats. On the plus side, however, it grips like mad as a rear tire. Even when the mossy rocks and roots around here get damp it digs in, braking or accelerating. Countless times I will stand all my weight on one pedal to move the 16t freewheel and I won't slide a mm. It will slide a bit on corners or off-camber rocks (which is why it sucks on the front), but predictable oversteer is useful on a steel hardtail. I wouldn't pay full retail for this tire though. Ebay/craigslist are your friends. Combine this with a Rampage 2.3 front tire for a happy 29er experience.

Favorite Trail:   Harold Parker SP

Purchased At:   craigslist, Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Nevegal DTC, IRC Mythos, Panaracer Rampage, Bontrager ACX

Bike Setup:   Kona Unit 2-9, Reba SL fork

Submitted by OSnap a Cross Country Rider from Virginia

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2009

Strengths:    Very good traction

Weaknesses:    I would love a 2.4 to run up front

Bottom Line:
Great Tire to run up front. I was having trouble with other tires skidding out on wet/loose/leafy trails, especially in the fall and winter. I have yet to skid out on these. I would like a bigger size, maybe a 2.4 or so...bigger is better (right?)

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on

Purchased At:   store

Bike Setup:   SS

Submitted by mtbnachos a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2008

Strengths:    Weight, price, rolling resistance, climbing

Weaknesses:    Cornering

Bottom Line:
This is a good all-around tire for the money. However, I think it's best suited to be a front tire only. I have fish-tailed multiple times on hi-speed corners and didnt like that feeling at all. They are good rolling tires and fairly light in weight.

Favorite Trail:   Noble Canyon, CA