Maxxis Ignitor EXO 29x2.1 29er Tire

3.8/5 (5 Reviews)

Fast-rolling, nicely spaced knobs on the Maxxis Ignitor EXO 29x2.1 are multi-shaped to help shed mud and grip in loose terrain, and are reinforced to step quicker and last longer.

Submitted by joebert a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2013

Strengths:    traction, climbing ability at any surface, cornering is good, durability, tough sidewall due to EXO, fairly low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    a bit heavy, not that fast on pavement,

Bottom Line:
a great all rounder tire at any conditions

Submitted by TurnerConvert

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2012

Strengths:    Good durability (at least as a front tire), rolls quickly

Weaknesses:    Volume is on the smaller side

Bottom Line:
The Ignitor is a funny tire for me. I'm not particularly passionate about it, despite the fact that I never have had any real issues with it. That said, I don't think I've used any tire on a 29er more than the Ignitor. I've run the non-EXO front and rear on a 29er hardtail for several years and have been generally pleased with how well the tire rolled and also with how well it held up - particularly when you factor in how lightweight it is. Last winter I built up a Specialized Epic 29er and I put the EXO Ignitor on the front with an EXO Ikon on the back - it has been a really good combination on the local trails for me. I can't say for sure how many miles I have on this tire (I'd estimate >1000) but I was looking at it the other day and it still looks almost new to me. Over that course of the time I am now on my third tire in the rear (the original Ikon, an AKA and now a second Ikon). Granted I would expect the front tire to hold up longer, but I'm still impressed with the durability of this tire.

If I could improve one thing about this tire, I'd ask for it to come in a 2.2-2.35 size. I'd like to have a little more volume in this tire so that I could run it a little bit softer. I will also say that I have had a few isolated incidents where the tire unexpectedly washed out completely in a turn. I'm not great at cornering, so I will allow that my technique likely isn't the best. However, for really aggressive riders that are looking for maximum hold in turns, I'm guessing that this isn't going to be the tire for you.

I've started riding some new trails that have longer downhills and some more aggressive rocks, so I'm starting to look at some new tires to try on the front. The Ignitor sets a good standard for rolling resistance, durability and traction for me so I don't want to go extreme in my options. Right now I'm considering a WTB Wolverine or a Continental X-Trail (2.4) as replacements for reference. I could see one of these becoming my daily ride tire. However, the Ignitor EXO would still likely be my choice for XC Racing.

For reference, I tend to categorize my home trails as aggressive XC - lots of big embedded rocks and hardpack trails; not too much loose stuff on top typically. There are also a lot of low speed rock garden features. Generally I end up destroying the sidewall on my tires long before I wear out the tread.

Submitted by TC a Cross Country Rider from prescot, az

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2012

Strengths:    Good traction when new. Light weight

Weaknesses:    Poor durability, much worse than the non EXO ignitors. I have had multiple sidewall and tread tears, something that has almost never happened with any other tires I have used.

Bottom Line:
Unfortunately these have proven to be even less durable than the standard ignitors. I love the ignitor tread and weight, but after multiple failures that will not seal with stans I have to move on to something with better durability.

Submitted by CRUM a Cross Country Rider from Springvale, Maine

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2011

Strengths:    Fairly light weight for as aggressive as they are. Hook up well on our bony, greasy trails. They roll fast and seem to clear mud decently also.

Weaknesses:    You have to get the PSI right. But then it has been my experience that 29 inch rubber is more sensitive to PSI than my old 26 sneakers were.

Bottom Line:
I really like these tires. They feel consistent throughout their motion whether turning, leaning, or braking. And they also seem to be wearing well.

Favorite Trail:   The one I am on

Purchased At:   CRUM Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Caballero, Detonator, Nevegals

Bike Setup:   VooDoo Ti hard tail with rigid fork - 2x9 XO & X9 drive train. Custom AM Classic hubs laced to Velocity Blunts. Carbon Elixir brakes, Salasa Carbon Bars, Salsa Stem, Terry Saddle, Crank Bros Seat post

Submitted by 29erBob a Cross Country Rider from Mesa, Arizona

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2011

Strengths:    Traction on loose stuff over hard pack is really awesome! I've been running the non EXo version for a while now and noticed some wander when setup tubeless. This tire doesn't wander or squat, a big improvement.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found one yet, good grip on rocks, gravel trails, sand (kitty litter type), etc. Beads up nice tubeless too.

Bottom Line:
Good rubber at a reasonable price and seems to last 1/2 a season of 3-5 rides per week and the occasional race weekend.

Favorite Trail:   Desert Classic

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Ignitor 29X2.1 60TPI, Geax Saguaro UST (YUCK!), ExiWolf, Raptor

Bike Setup:   2010 Med Frame Pivot Mach 429, Stans Flow 29 rims

Maxxis Ignitor EXO 29x2.1 Reviews?

Anyone have any experience with the Ignitor EXO 29 x 2.1? How does the rubber compound compare to the regular Ignitor? Do they have a noticeably thicker sidewall? Do they mount up to Flows as well as the regular Ignitors? Any input would be appreciated. I'm in the Northeast, so mud, rocks, an ... Read More »

Maxxis Ignitor 29x2.1 120tpi EXO 591g!

Just got this years model with the EXO casing. 591g - replaces my 810g Exiwolf!Read More »