Maxxis CrossMark 29er 29er Tire

3.75/5 (28 Reviews)
Weight : 620g MSRP : $60.00

The cross in the middle of each center knob of the Maxxis Crossmark 29 could well be an allusion to Swiss precision. This is a light tire that rides great all conditions with a bias towards medium hardpack to loose conditions. The slightly raised ridge of side knobs add cornering precision whether the ground is wet or dry. The center knobs are close enough together that they don't squish when the ground is hard. For this 29er offering, Maxxis takes their popular cross-country loose-to-medium soil tire and grows the diameter. If you know the Crossmax in the 26" iteration, you know this tire. It works equally well in the front or rear. The Maxxis Crossmark 29 has 60 TPI. The bead is foldable. The max recommended PSI is 65. The durometer of the tread rubber is 70a. 610g.Application: XCGround: Hardpack, all conditions

Submitted by Slawth

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2013

Strengths:    29er version. I have ran it for thousands of miles on GF Superfly 100 as well as a Spec Epic copm 29er.

Durable, great traction for an XC tire. Sets up tubeless really well. This tire has been my favorite back tire for endurance and ultra endurance racing for quite a while now. I change it out as I get recommendations from a friend or a free tire is thrown my way now and then and I always come back to the Crossmark. Heck- it even impresses me on XC trail rides more often than not.

I run the regular version tubeless without any issues and I am not particularly gentle to my tires. The one I just replaced was finally starting to ooze Stan's through tiny pinhole tears in the sidewall after 1 1/2 seasons.

This tire is definitely finicky about tire pressure when you are looking to get a bit more traction out of it- However, if you get the pressure right it is a lot gripier that it looks like it is capable of, including on damp roots and rocks in the N.East. I have found that for my weight, current bike and riding style that 22lbs is the sweet spot. On my last bike (which was heavier) 25lbs was the golden pressure.

Weaknesses:    Not a great front tire. Breaks loose if you get on it in corners etc. Even at low pressures it tends to bounce around in super tech terrain.

Works fine in the damp but goes quickly to useless in very wet or sticky(clay) conditions.

Bottom Line:
The Crossmark is one of those tires that is just a staple for me. I can usually find one for somewhere between $40 and $50 which is a damn good value for a tire that I seem to get twice the mileage out of compared to other tires in it's class. I always keep a new one in the parts bag because I know what I can expect from it should I need to replace a tire in a pinch during a race.

Submitted by Jeff a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2013

Strengths:    There is a tubeless LUST version of this tire and a regular version with a tube. I ordered the tube version on accident, but put them on anyway. Really fast and held on when I leaned it over in the turns. Hung on much better that the stock Bontrager Jones ACX, which tended to break loose in fast corners. I have tested them in damp (not wet) conditions on single track in Georgia. Good value in my opinion. Great for dry to moist single track.

Weaknesses:    Lack on big side knobs for really loose or muddy conditions.

Bottom Line:
For riding fast single track through the woods, this is a fun and fast tire.

Favorite Trail:   Chicopee Woods, Gainsville, GA

Duration Product Used:   3 weeks

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Jones ACX

Bike Setup:   Trek Gary Fisher Hi-Fi, full suspension 19"

Submitted by icsloppl a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2013

Strengths:    Riding upright in a strait line.

Weaknesses:    Not the above.

Bottom Line:
Crossmarks are a fast tire that has good climing and braking traction in a strait line. As others have said though, when things get nasty, they will not help to save you like a tire with larger / stiffer transition and side knobs. Also, once they loose traction while leaned over and cornering, give it up, your likelihood of recovery is not so hot.
While they excel at their intended purpose, part of my need of tires is to save my skin when things get harry, and the CrossMarks just don't have the beef.

Duration Product Used:   3 Months

Purchased At:   came on bike

Similar Products Used:   The Ikon and Ignitor are better overall solutions from Maxxis.

Bike Setup:   Tallboy C

Submitted by hvvi a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2012

Strengths:    universal, longlife, good rolling, nice for xc

Weaknesses:    bad for wet weather, weight

Bottom Line:
I had more than 4 tires. Average two is enough for 7-8 thousand miles. This is a very good value. Very well behaved on the soil, sand, and even in the mountains on the wet rocks. But in the swamp they lose very much.
Overall this is one of the best 29er universal tires.
I buy two version - wired (~13$, 710g) and folding (~40$, 620g). But prefer use cheaper))))
It can go everywhere!

Duration Product Used:   1 years

Purchased At:   chainreactions

Bike Setup:   Gas Ventinove Stambek

Submitted by tbaier

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2012

Strengths:    Tough and fast

Weaknesses:    Intermediate Knobs

Bottom Line:
This is a pretty good choice as a low tread rear tire that is also tough enough to forget about over rough terrain. However, for the same task I favor the WTB Nanoraptor for 2 reasons.

First, the Crossmark's ramped intermediate knobs just don't do it for me. Straight line grip is excellent but the transition from center to intermediate knobs can throw you some surprises. Some have suggested reversing direction which I will try - but the Nano does not suffer this problem. It's small intermediate tread keeps more consistent traction as you lean over. It might not always grip (it is a low tread tire, after all) but you know what is coming.

Second, at 700g, these are 100g heavier than a similar Nano. I'm not weight weenie (I ride a steel bike) but that's a noticeable amount in a tire.

Sidewalls seem very durable. Took an air compressor and getting turned inside out for a night before it would mount tubeless, but since it has not lost a lb of pressure. Size is exactly as indicated (a nice surprise).

Submitted by supersleeper

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2012

Strengths:    longlasting, the best back tire ever.

Weaknesses:    Mud, cornering as a front tire

Bottom Line:
As a back tire, this is the best one ever. It just rolls and lasts. If you have trouble with grip, lower the pressure.
As a front? That is why I only gave it 4 chillis. It is not a super gripper in corners.
Mud? Not so good. But then again, no general purpose tires are great in mud.

Submitted by bill

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2012

Strengths:    I bought a wheelset that had these tires new off ebay. I figured I'd give them a shot. I live in northeast PA. Trails here are all rocks and technical as hell. My only recommendation is to under no circumstances run this on the front. If you do you will crash and die as soon as you turn... Sucky, Sucky front tire. Washes out on even the slightest anything, it just plan sucks on the front. This is due to no sidewall tread. I will say that that the sidewalls are tough as nails. I run a single speed tubeless setup and have run these as low as 18psi smashing them into rocks. As far as the rear not too bad. Must run in reverse though. But again its sketchy as all hell going into turns. Tread last too long.. I hate this tire im so glad my cheap ass bought some nobby nics.

Weaknesses:    Really though if they put some tread on the side i would love this tire as a rear tire.

Bottom Line:
sorry i was drunk when i worte this.. Ive been wanting to write this for sometime now.. Beer i guess reminded me. Maxxis makes really good tires. This tire is probably fine for most people. It really is a tough tire thats hard to kill.. Its just the sidewall tread for me that kills it...

Its fun to try new tires, but will they make you a better rider?

Submitted by p0wp0wJunky a Cross Country Rider from Sandy, UT

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2011

Strengths:    Tire hooks up extremely well

Weaknesses:    Side Walls are WEAK. Third ride out rolled over a softball size rock and ripped my sidewall.

Bottom Line:
Very disappointed with the tear considering the rock that caused it. There is no reason the tire should have ripped so easy. I am not going to be buying this tire- ever.

Favorite Trail:   Anything around PCMR

Purchased At:   Came on New bike

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire

Bike Setup:   2012 Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon with XTR kit

Submitted by Packrat a Cross Country Rider from US

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2011

Strengths:    Extremely easy to mount on a tubeless rim, less than 5 minutes and no air nor sealant leakage. Tough sidewalls, very noticeable rolling characteristics compared to other tires. Can ride it at low pressures (28-30 psi) with no problems.

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of. Perhaps not the grippiest tire in the back in some instances, but overall still plenty for what I need. A little pricey for the UST model.

Bottom Line:
I am very happy with this tire. After reading some of the posts, I was a little hesitant to use it as a rear tire since some comments were toward the lack of grip. So I mounted it backward and never had any issues. I am not an expert but for my needs it is a great tire. I last used it in very rocky conditions and the terrain went form dry to muddy due to a storm. No issues there either. The mud cleared quite well and plenty of traction. I would definitely recommend this tire.

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Ardent and Ignitor, Geax Saguaro, continental Race King

Bike Setup:   Tallboy carbon, Sram XX, Easton EC90 XC wheels, Thompson stem and post.

Submitted by IndianaXC a Racer from Milford, Indiana. U.S.

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2011

Strengths:    FAST, Great climbing traction in the rear when run backwards, Light, High volume, Last forever.

Weaknesses:    A little sketchy at times in the front, im running 23 PSI and dont have to many problems.

Bottom Line:
I love these tires. For the people that say they grip bad for climbing, try running them backwards, this way the in-between knobs bite alot better, made a huuuge difference. I just raced an extremely muddy race on them and i was getting through the muddy corners and climbs faster than anyone else. They really surprised me since i was expecting them to be horrible in the mud. My theory is the almost continuous center ridge helps guide them through the mud. Its a great tire, im picky about cornering traction and these things do really well for how fast they are. I have about 200 miles on them and They still have the little flaps from thew mold on the center tread, im expecting these things to last at least 2000 miles.

Favorite Trail:   fort custer state park in michigan

Purchased At:   Came on new bike

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Karma (same weight, terrible grip) Continental mountain king 2.2 (horrible) Maxxis Ignitor (decent) Maxxis ADvantage on 26" (best rear tire i have used except for this.)

Bike Setup:   Giant anthem X 29er 3. Stock for now until i get money to upgrade.

Submitted by RatchAttack a Cross Country Rider from Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2011

Strengths:    -Fast Rolling
-Good traction on hardpack to intermediate terrain
-High Volume

Weaknesses:    -No good in the mud, but its no mud tire anyways

Bottom Line:
I swapped out the stock Small Block 8's on my Cannondale and am running the CrossMark 29x2.1 in the rear with an Ardent 29x2.25 in the front. The CrossMark works great as a rear tire for the conditions I usually ride in which range from hardpack clay, loam, and sand. They also hook up great on rocks and roots and offer excellent climbing traction. It comes up short in mud or beach sand but its not made for that terrain anyways. It rolls fast and is light for a 29er tire. The high volume casing makes running lower pressures and gaining added traction a breeze while keeping the tire stable, the tire says its a 2.1 but its bigger than the 2.2 Conti's I had on my 26er. I'm 250lbs and run 28-30psi in the rear depending on terrain. Very good value too as they are readily available online and usually at a good discount off MSRP.

Bike Setup:   2011 Cannondale SL4 29er

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from SLC, UT

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2011

Strengths:    Nothing

Weaknesses:    Worthless

Bottom Line:
Worthless, they came stock on my Anthem 29er and I put about 10 miles on them before they hit the trash can.

On lose pack they have the ability to dive deeper and quicker than any tire I have ever used. They inspire zero confidence when at speed which is the first thing I want out of a 29er.

Maybe if you were to be riding directly behind a steam roller or on pavement they would be a quality tire. However, if you attempt to take these onto a single track you will instantly regret your decision.

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegal 29

Bike Setup:   Giant Atnthem X29er 2

Submitted by XC Ryder a Cross Country Rider from Blacksburg, VA, US

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2011

Strengths:    Fast, low profile tire

Weaknesses:    Sand, loose soil

Bottom Line:
I purchased 2 tires and was very surprised when I was taking a turn with sandy spots and nearly wrecked because my tires immediately washed out. I am changing my front tire back to my Panaracer-Rampage, but keeping the rear tire as is. The tires have great traction on roots and rocks while having low rolling resistance.

Favorite Trail:   Beauty

Purchased At:   Fitness Central

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Ignitor

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakota 29 pro

Submitted by Mojo Troll a Cross Country Rider from AR

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2011

Strengths:    Roll fast, wear rahter slow.

Weaknesses:    As a front it can be a little sketchy at times.

Bottom Line:
Nice fast tire. I really like it on the back. It can be a little scetchy on ocassion on the front. Will try and Ikon on the front and see if that helps. Maxxis tires always seem to wear rather slow, which is good with tire prices these days. The tires mount easily tubeless with Stans. Higher air preasure on the pavement and these tires are scary fast with the continous center rubber.

Would deffinatly buy this tire again for the rear. For the front I would try something with a little more bite. MAybe and Ikon or Ignitor.

Favorite Trail:   one with dirt

Similar Products Used:   many

Bike Setup:   29er steel XC HT

Submitted by xcbarny a Cross Country Rider from Brisbane Australia

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2010

Strengths:    Rolls well, good grip in loose over hard conditions, light - mine were about 600g.

Weaknesses:    Sidewalls not great for tubeless

Bottom Line:
When are Maxxis going to make tires with tougher sidewalls? What use is a sub 600g tire to race on, if it doesn't last the race?

These are fast tires, with grip in the corners, but I've had to sew and patch them up so many times.

29ers need to run lower pressures, so tubeless is the way to go, but they need tires that don't tear at the mear sight of a rock. I'll wont buy Maxxis tires again until they improve their side walls.

Favorite Trail:   Dingo