Maxxis Ardent 29er 29er Tire

4.52/5 (25 Reviews)

The Ardent SC is an all around high volumeTire withTraction beingThe main objective. Aggressive side knobs giveThe Ardent aggressive corneringTraction andThe ramped center knobs minimize rolling resistance but still has enoughTraction for quick acceleration and braking. 60TPI Long Wear Low Rolling Resistance 60a Rubber Compound Max PSI 65 Manufacturers claim 755 grams (29x2.25)

Submitted by vack

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2014

Strengths:    Grip (When it's New), Sidewalls are good on the UST version

Weaknesses:    Grip (When it's at 1/2 Life)

Bottom Line:
29er Tires....sigh. My opinion on these things are they are crazy overpriced....but that seems to be across the board....so any 29er tire I review will get 3 chillis. However this one is a good tire. When it's new it really works well. Lots of grip, both for front or rear. However, at about 1/2 it's life the performance takes a nose dive. Maybe it's just the nature of the beast with these tires....but at 75 bucks a pop.....I would hope to get a full season out of them. I got about a 1/2 season out of this tire. Granted my area is super rocky, so that may have attributed to the decline of this tire. But I think it's a good tire, hence why I gave it a 3 chillis review. It's definitely better then other 29er tires I've used. All kidding aside, one of the best I've used so far....but still, my review stands as is because I'm not sure there is a good 29er tire out there that lasts very long.

Submitted by unrooted a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2013

Strengths:    Really wide
Low Weight for such a wide tire
Easy to set up tubeless
great grip

Weaknesses:    Almost too wide-not much clearance in my 2010 reba
Wear fast

Bottom Line:
I put a 2.4 Ardent EXO on the front of my bike 2 months ago and I've been loving it! It corners really well, rolls smooth on pavement, and floats well in the sand (flow ex rims help as well).

The softer side knobs are already showing wear, which doesn't surprise me since they are really soft compared to the center, but front tires have always lasted me a really long time.

Unlike a lot of companies this tire is much closer to it's claimed width, just be sure you have room in your stays/brake arch before buying!

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe-Armstrong/Sidewinder/Corral

Duration Product Used:   20months

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   Conti Mountain king, Specialized Purgatory

Submitted by Bryan1113 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2013

Strengths:    Traction, traction, traction

Bottom Line:
Put these bad boys on my bike about 4 months ago and seriously changed my riding confidence! Grip is incredible on desert singletrack i ride on. If you're going to upgrade anything make sure to start with the tires....Maxxis rocks

Favorite Trail:   Bell Mountain Loop

Purchased At:   Art's

Bike Setup:   Cannondale SL4 29er HT

Submitted by Russell

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2012

Strengths:    GRIP in everything

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
I replaced my stock front tire (maxxis aspen) to the ardent 2.25 and it is a very grippy tire, it even saved me from a crash, I was riding too hard into a turn with mud and slid sideways and the side knobs grabbed and brought me back up. I will be buying these again.

Submitted by FallDownGoBoom a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2012

Strengths:    Strong casing, great tread pattern

Weaknesses:    The 2.4 NEEDS a WIDE rim to get the most out of cornering blocks, more a comment than a weakness.

Bottom Line:
So, I have a few rides on the 29 x 2.4" tire, so this may be a bit premature, but I'm enjoying this tire quite a bit. The majority of my riding is in NorCal and Tahoe, with a lot of dry rocks and very limited mud.

First ride, I had to drop the PSI a few times to get the sweet spot. Compared to my previous Rampage tires, this has a much stiffer casing. That's a good/bad thing, as the stiffness will supposedly prevent slashes (never a problem with Rampage) and reduce the tire flop at lower pressures, BUT you really need a low PSI to get these to conform over 3-4" obstacles. That's not a bad thing, but I am always concerned about setting my rig for optimum ride over smaller bumps (99% of all the things I ride over) when that last 1% of bigger hits comes along and wails my rim.

After dropping almost 3-5PSI compared to the Rampage tires, these really improved, and so far I have yet to bang my rim.

*** These are big tires, and a big rim is needed. Running these on a 21mm (crest) or smaller rim will not get you the profile you want. I just switched to the Flow EX (awesome, but that's another story) really helped flare out the corner knobs, and the tire really performs now (1 ride so far, so take that for what it's worth).

Other notable differences, substantially lower rolling resistance compared to the Rampage, and similar grip on the ups and cornering. The side knobs on the Ardent seem to be even more capable handling off-camber riding than anything I've tried.

Riding in dust or soft soil these tires have absolute control (so did the Rampage), these really shine in this dept. I just wish I had more soft loamy stuff to play in.

Similar Products Used:   Rampage
Geax Gato, Saguaro

Bike Setup:   Niner RIP, 140mm fork

Submitted by Team Rourke

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2012

Strengths:    Grips in everything, Durable, Great all-around tire.

Weaknesses:    If you want speed and lower weight..... don't buy this tire.

Bottom Line:
I've used tires from the Ardent family for two years. Often running them on the front and back. I've used the 2.4 on my rigid KM and 2.25 on my 2012 SF. This tire, simply put, gets the job done. For a tire that offers a fairly aggressive bite it also delivers speed (tubeless, 28psi). I cannot say a bad thing about these tires. I've ridden them all over our trails in Upper Michigan (Marquette, Copper Harbor) also in Traverse City (sandy) and Wisconsin (Camba Trail system) and they have never let me down. Never gashed a sidewall. In a very dry conditions with loose on top of hard pack I have had some interesting moments going into and through corners fast...... but the tire lets you know its letting go in time for you to adjust before you end up on your head. I've ridden them in races - great tire..... Not the fastest but I never purchased them for speed/racing.... I purchased them for an all-purpose go do everything tire. Which they have done!

Submitted by classrc a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2012

Strengths:    Great Cornering Traction, Large Air Volume (2.4"), Low-ish Rolling Resistance, puncture resistance

Weaknesses:    Heavy-ish,

Bottom Line:
The Maxxis Ardent 29r 2.4" is a LARGE tire. It has a high volume casing, but a not-so supple casing. I've found that, to maximize traction and compliance, that I have to run it down at 18 psi (not a bad thing). I am running this tire tubeless, mounted on a Stans Flow Rim. I am using a Niner Carbon fork and have PLENTY of room for the 2.4" tire. I have yet to flat or burp at these low pressures.

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   WTB Wierwolf LT, Kenda Karma

Bike Setup:   Full RIgid Canfield Nimble 9

Submitted by dblspeed

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2012

Strengths:    Excellent weight to volume to grip to rolling resistance to puncture resistance to price ratio!

Weaknesses:    Weak in the wet.

Bottom Line:
Truly great dry weather tire, I use it as rear tire on my Scandal ( I guess it's one of the few frames where it will fi, if not the only one). In my opinion it is ideal in the back of a hardtail where it adds a nice cushioning effect while keeping rolling resistance to a reasonable level (less than a WTB stout for example). I would use something smaller and more aggressive up front where the suspension forks makes it unnecessary to have such a big tire.

Submitted by pelotoner a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2012

Strengths:    Great traction for the Colorado front range riding conditions.
Mounts up tubeless with little trouble.

Weaknesses:    Nothing to think of.

Bottom Line:
I am running a 2.4 EXO Ardent up front and a 2.25 Ardent in the rear tubeless on my Giant Talon and they hook up great. You do need to trust them and lean into turns, but overall they work great.

Submitted by rob1035 a Cross Country Rider from Charlotte, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2012

Strengths:    Big Volume, beefy, durable sidewalls, great traction, easy tubeless setup.

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
My favorite front tire. Hooks up super easy tubeless, both on the current Stans Crest rims, and my previous WTB Laserdisc Trail hoops. Voume is great, after few days of riding the casing is true to size. The knobs are beefy, and the tire hooks up great in all the conditions I ride in. Rolls decently for something that grips as well as it does, fast enough for occasional racing (I'm a backmarker, just doing it for fun). The sidewalls feel beefy and have proved durable on rockier tracks. Absolutely a must for rigid riding in my opinion, the size and grip makes for a comfortable, precise ride, really easy to hold lines, where other tires might give up. I will buy another after this one wears out, and will probably run one in the rear as well for winter (ie wetter) conditions. It could be lighter, but its worth the tradeoff

Favorite Trail:   BYT

Purchased At:   Ultimate Bike on Sar

Similar Products Used:   Bonty 29-3 Front, WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55, Stans Crow, Maxxis Ignitor

Bike Setup:   Misfit Dissent singlespeed, Niner Carbon rigid fork (occasionally use a Reba), Stans Crest wheelset, Magura Marta brakes

Submitted by ihaveagibsonsg a Cross Country Rider from San Diego,CA

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2012

Strengths:    Rolls Fast, Tough side walls, Awesome Grip, Mounts easy tubeless

Bottom Line:
This tire was a huge surprise to me. I thought that it couldn't get any better than the rampage 29er for a front tire but the ardent delivers. It took only 2 minutes to mount this tire tubeless compared to 3 hours to mount my exiwolf. It rolls exceptionally fast for a 2.4 knobby tire, it's as fast as an XC tire but grips more than any other tire I've used. I run it at 22 PSI and I weigh 140 pounds. It's really comfy and performs great in all conditions. Just buy it and try it, if you don't like it PM me and I'll gladly use it ;-)

Favorite Trail:   Iron Mountain

Similar Products Used:   Rampage 29er, Kenda Nevegal, WTB Stout

Bike Setup:   GT Sensor 9r Expert

Submitted by Phil Jones a Racer from Canada

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2011

Strengths:    Sidewalls on the LUST version are indestructible. Rolls unbelieveably fast at >25psi, traction is magnificent in a wide variety of conditions. Works anywhere, anytime, any condition.

Weaknesses:    Heavyish if you're racing, there are better tires for hardpack... but it's not a hardpack tire is it? Also, it's on the pricey side for the LUST version (which I'm using)

Bottom Line:
If all you care about is weight then this isn't it. That said if you care about durability, traction, handling, ease of mounting, longevity, fast rolling-ness, and making others tire choice look foolish... this wins. I thought it was good at 28psi with tubes but I wanted to try it tubeless. put stans universal tape and valve on my rims, put the tire on and pumped it up with a floor pump effortlessly. What was mind blowing about this? 3 months of hard trail abuse with tubes, and there were NO LEAKS before I put the sealant in!! Anyhow 3oz of stans and that was 100 hours of training, 4 XC races (all podiums), and a solid belief that the LUST 2.25 is the greatest all purpose tire ever made!

Similar Products Used:   Nevegals, ignitors, geax akas,

Bike Setup:   Trek Hi-fi 2011, Bontrager Mustang factory wheels. xt 2x10,

Submitted by Packrat a Cross Country Rider from US

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2011

Strengths:    I am using it in the front. Runs great at a lower pressure (25 psi) and I think I could go even lower. Very sturdy, better than expected grip on hard pack and muddy areas. I mounted on a tubeless rim and it took 2 minutes, which it was wonderful coming from a set of Stan's rim (impossible to mount some tires).

Weaknesses:    I am not an expert, but it is a little heavier than some other tires I had in the past. A little pricey for the UST version.

Bottom Line:
I would absolutely recommend this tire. I used it on a very rocky terrain and it performed flawlessly going quite fast on some downhills (possibly too fast for my abilities but never a moment of fear at all). It was dry at first but it became very muddy while under a thunderstorm, and as well never had any hesitation or unexpected behavior. Very happy with this tire. No loss of air, no sealant leakage .

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Ignitor, Geax Saguaro, Continental Race King

Bike Setup:   Tallboy Carbon, Easton EA90 XC wheels, Sram XX, Thompson post and stem.

Submitted by RatchAttack a Cross Country Rider from Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2011

Strengths:    -Rolls fast for a full knobby
-Traction everywhere

Weaknesses:    -bit of a weight penalty compared to other tires

Bottom Line:
I have this tire in a 2.25 mounted to the front of my Cannondale with a CrossMark 2.1 in the rear. Its rolls surprising fast for a full knobby and gets traction everywhere, I've put it through everything and it just hooks up no matter what. It has a super high volume casing that lets you run nice low pressures. I'm 250lbs and run between 25-28psi as a front tire. The only drawback of this tire is that its a bit (not much) heavier than some other 29er tires, but the traction and volume are well worth the added weight.

Submitted by riiz a Weekend Warrior from San Bernardino, CA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2011

Strengths:    Quick rolling tire that pretty much works where ever. I've used on the street with the psi at 60, and knocked it down to 25-30psi on loose dry sandy trails to loose over hardpack in the So Cal deserts. It works everywhere.

Weaknesses:    The only weakness might be its weight, it weighs a bit more than a Small Block 8 or Crossmark but those are true XC tires, and cannot do what the Ardent does so well.

Bottom Line:
One of the finest tires that tackles everything.

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Small Block 8s, Maxxis Crossmarks, WTB Exiwolfs 2.3.

Bike Setup:   Surly Karate Monkey w/ Rigid Fork. 1x9 Drivetrain, BB7s for brakes.

Does the Maxxis Ardent 2.25 exo 29er really exist

If so, where? Love this tire on the rear but the non exo gets shredded way too quickly. [LEFT][COLOR=#000000][FONT=arial][/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]Read More »

The "Please Maxxis can we have an Exception series Ardent 29er 2.25" thread

First off to declare my interest, I'm a big fan of Maxxis tyres.I never set out to be that way, but over 15 years of riding, and trying countless tyres, I just find its always the Maxxis ones I don't want to take off. And now I've joined the 29er party.... I love Ikons for dry conditions, and I'v ... Read More »

Maxxis Ardent 2.4 29er $47.99 folding

[url=http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-15457-maxxis-ardent-29-tire.aspx?variantID=10682]Maxxis Ardent 29" Tire - Outside Outfitters[/url] I'm not a big fan of Outside Outfitters, theyre OK but a couple times the website said they had something and it was on backorder, finally got it but but u ... Read More »

Ardent 29er 2.4 Fitment on Deuce fork?

I've got a thread going in the wheel/tire section, but I thought I'd ask here as well. Is anyone running this tire on their Sl 29ers? Wasn't sure if it would fit in the stock deuce fork. Thanks!Read More »

Maxxis Ardent 2.4 MaxxPro 29er?

Did they stop making the EXO? Seems like every place has the MaxxPro for sale. But the Maxxis website doesn't even list the Maxxpro as a 29er tire. [url=http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Mountain/Ardent.aspx]Ardent[/url]Read More »