Kenda Tomac Nevegal DTC 29er 29er Tire

4.24/5 (34 Reviews)
Weight : 800 grams MSRP : $26.98

The Kenda Nevegal Lite DTC mountain bike tires are made with Dual Tread Compound (DTC) L3R Pro/Stick-E. Tall knobs designed to penetrate and hold on loose terrain.

Submitted by matt

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2013

Strengths:    traction

Weaknesses:    everything else

Bottom Line:
The tire actually makes you wonder if you have square wheels on your bike. Grip? Oh yea. Traction? Oh yea. But they just do not roll. High pressure, low pressure, dose not matter.
I tried a pair for late fall/ winter/ early spring in Wisconsin. My advise, get a fat bike. Then you will always have traction and flotation.

Submitted by Noneck a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2013

Strengths:    They turn your bike into an army tank.

Weaknesses:    Slow

Bottom Line:
I tried a set for spring here in PA after the Kenda small block 8s I was running kept failing me in muddy conditions. (go figure) I got these on sale at price point for 18.95 each for my 29 hardtail. I was amazed on my first ride how they went through deep mud. They also self cleaned very well. Traction everywhere was great from rocks and roots to mud. They were just very slow. This week I aired them up to near their 50 psi max at 48 psi. The ride was obviously more harsh but I am running front suspension. This tire became just as fast as my small block 8 and still handled great. Noticeably faster even on pavement. I was planning on going back to the sb8 when conditions dry out here later in summer but with the new found speed of the high pressure, I will keep these as my primary tire.

Bike Setup:   Trek Cobia 29. Rock shock Recon silver front forks.

Submitted by treesmasher a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2012

Strengths:    This tire goes right where you point it on any terrain. It also holds up very well. I have never punctured it or even a flat. I pump it up to 40psi on the road when I commute and it rolls good considering it`s knarly tread.

Weaknesses:    Sometimes it seems like it has to much grip and takes some fun out of it. It`s to much tire for the back of the bike where we ride we use a tire that rolls a little faster and weighs less on the back.

Bottom Line:
We get the tires for 46 bucks so it`s a good deal for the security it gives on the front of the bike. This is a tire we use all year long in Michigan.If you want a front tire that does it all this is it.

Duration Product Used:   4 years

Submitted by david

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2012

Strengths:    beefy

Weaknesses:    slips alot on hardpack climbs

Bottom Line:
OK. I know that this tire gets great reviews and so I bought one.....29 x 2.25 on the rear on my niner hardtail. Granted that it's beefy with big treads and has a cushy feel. But, my biggest gripe with it is that is slips big time on hardpack climbs. Maybe it would be best for soft conditions. If not for it's climbing weakness in hardpack dry conditions, I think that I'd like this tire alot.

Submitted by Niner Nation a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2012

Strengths:    Awesome grip in all terrain, aggressive tread design and Dual Tread Compound for longer wear.

Weaknesses:    a litttle heavy, but not too heavy.

Bottom Line:
I ran mine tubeless on Stan Crest No-Tube rims and it has performed well so far. Tears around corners with a vengeance, climbs with plenty of traction and descend with confidence.

Favorite Trail:   Chimpex

Purchased At:   Blue Sky Cycling

Similar Products Used:   Maxxiss Advantage, Maxxiss Minions

Bike Setup:   Niner Jet 9 RDO with Kashima RP23 shock and Fox 120mm Talas CTD Forks; Shimano XTR Cranks, shifters and derailleurs; Formula R1 Brakes; Industry nine red hubs and straight pull spokes with white Stan Crest No-Tube rims. Kenda Nevegal 29x2.25 tires.

Submitted by BikeHiro a Racer

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2012

Strengths:    Ridiculous corning and braking grip, intimidating style, larger circumference than my fast traks, predictable handling, tall knobs, sticky rubber

Weaknesses:    Heavy tire, loses momentum quickly, needs more energy to gain and maintain speed, at walking speeds you can feel the bumps of the tall knobs

Bottom Line:
Not bad tires but not amazing besides the grip. Picked up the pair for $25 from a local private sale in almost new condition. You can feel the huge traction and handling gain in large gravel compared to the Specialized Fast Traks Sport LK that came on my bike. Other than that, the handling and traction gains in hard pack is out shined by how much harder I have to pedal to maintain my momentum, even worse gain momentum. Over a 20 mile mostly hard pack course, I leisurely averaged 14.1mph on these nevegals compared to 15mph on the fast traks. While not a scientific test, the numbers mean something to me. They don't do terrible in asphalt despite the much higher rolling resistance. I maxed out at 23.9mph compared to 24.3 on the fast traks on flat asphalt but as expected, I can hold max speed longer on the fast traks due to the lower rolling resistance. The extra grip, handling, and confidence is great going downhill but I dread going uphill or going against the wind with these tires. Nevegals aren't a terrible tire but they're nothing amazing, even at the steal I purchased them for. There are people online claiming to mod nevegals into amazing tires by doing a simple thread mod.

Something I need to try.

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Fast Trak Sport LK

Bike Setup:   2012 Hardrock Sport Disc 29er

Submitted by MSD1984 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2012

Strengths:    Amazing grip for climbing, braking, and cornering.

Weaknesses:    Side knobs

Bottom Line:
Have over 500 miles on the set mostly on Cascade singletrack. I am running tubeless (sorry Kenda). Replacing the rear due to a ripped side knob as it leaks out badly. To the tires defense, most of the trails they've been on have lots of sharp rocks. I'm basing the value on the suggested MSRP. I'm sticking with them!

They're great for all mountain/ cross country use. Probably overkill for a cross country race and slickrock.

Purchased At:   Hutch's Bicycles Kla

Bike Setup:   2011 Norco Shinobi

Submitted by john k

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2012

Strengths:    great traction, great cornering and stopping power. smoothed out the trail chatter vs a 29-3 bont 2.0.

Weaknesses:    250-300g extra weight vs a lightweight race tire.

Bottom Line:
so tacky as a front tire, i can fly through corners that i used to have to brake for. i feel so much safer and secure. i didnt notice any added rolling resistance with one on the front. i ran 20psi with stans on arch rims and weigh 180lbs made the trail feel much smoother too. i couldnt even feel bumps that used to rattle my arms with my bontrager 29-3 2.0.

50km of trail and the little nubbies are still on there.

Submitted by bandedwd

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2012

Strengths:    This tire sticks to the terrain!!! It is tough as nails too! I have put them through a lot of abuse and they have taken all that this fat boy could put on them.

Weaknesses:    NONE!

Bottom Line:
Great Tire and have complete trust in the product!

Submitted by Glenn

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2012

Strengths:    it's been said before- but will say again- GREAT GRIP. wonderful safe tire.

Bottom Line:
I think for the cost- well worth it. GREAT tire

Submitted by sandyeggo a Weekend Warrior from O'Fallon, MO

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2012

Strengths:    Grip, Grip, and Grip. Also, volume. I've tried many tires this last year and I keep coming back to the Nevegals. Granted, they have a lot of rolling resistance but I don't race and I'm not fast so they are great for me.

In addition, those big o'l knobbies look mean and aggressive and makes other riders afraid of me. Really helps because I'm otherwise quite the opposite in personality.

Easy to get on and off my wheelset

Weaknesses:    I guess I kinda mentioned it above -- they are slow rollers.

They aren't the cheapest tire out there.

I hear they are difficult to mount on tubeless rims, but I run tubes.

Bottom Line:
Great gripping tire. Good for the recreational rider looking for a solid, grippy, comfy tire.

Favorite Trail:   Matson Hill

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Slant 6, Kenda SB8

Bike Setup:   11 Cannondale Flash 29er (converted to SS) - otherwise stock. 11 Redline Monocog 29er with BB7 brakes - otherwise stock

Submitted by Stoneybaloney a Cross Country Rider from Durango, CO

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2011

Strengths:    Grip, stability, reliability, long wear, tough sidewalls

Weaknesses:    Multiple knobs ripped off the sides, the same side, on both tires - the identical problem described by several other prior reviewers on this page.

Bottom Line:
Great tires, except for the multiple knobs tearing completely off and leaving gaping holes in the tread.

Favorite Trail:   Hermosa Creek

Purchased At:   a local bike shop