Kenda Slant Six DTC 29er Tire

4.33/5 (9 Reviews)

The Kenda Slant Six DTC 2.10 is the love child of the Kenda Nevegal and Small Block 8. Kenda has taken its two most winning mountain tires, combined the best qualities of both, and minimized their weaknesses.

Submitted by Learux

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2013

Strengths:    Hard pack, loose over hard pack, fire roads is where this tire shines.

Rolls fast, good cornering and braking traction

Weaknesses:    None so far, even the price is fair. I have had some killer $30 tires. Therefor only 4 Value chilis.

Bottom Line:
I have about 350 miles on these tires. Mounts fairly easy.

The center knobs are starting to wear, so far hasn't degraded performance at all.

If I get about 800-1000 miles out of a rear tire I am happy. Looks like this tire will make this just fine.

I like this tire, very similar to maxxis aspen.

Submitted by tazmanrod a Racer

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2013

Strengths:    Rolls fast, great side bite, don't wear out fast, very predictable when cornering hard. You can stand up on a hill to power up it if wanted or needed.

Weaknesses:    Float over top of loose sand, a little heavier than the Specialized(about 50 grams)

Bottom Line:
I'm a larger rider, 6'5", about 220 lbs. I run them on my hardtail 29er, front and rear on Stan's ZTR 355'S. I use 30 lbs in the rear and 28 up front tubeless with Stan's sealant. Have never flatted or "burped" them.
I even used these for a CX race where it was raining and had no problems with mud or grass build up. They were a replacement for the Fasttracs which came stock on my bike. I would buy these over a Fasttrac any day.
I've ridden them everywhere from San Diego's Lake Moreno to Big Bear to up at Santa Barbera.
I discovered if you run them backwords, they hook up even better in the corners but they wear out a little quicker in the middle.

Duration Product Used:   About 2 years

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Captain's, Fasttrac Control

Bike Setup:   Specialized Expert 29er hardtail, Stan's ZTR 355'S

Submitted by marc927 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2012

Strengths:    Great all around tire for my trails (hard pack, loose over hard pack, fire roads, east coast rocky, rooty terrain Predictable when they break loose during cornering, Durability, Tread life, Wet grip okay

Weaknesses:    Doesn't shed mud well, not good in sand, on the heavier end of the spectrum for 29er tires

Bottom Line:
I got these tires to replace the stock bontrager tires on a Trek Cobia which were downright dangerous in even slightly weight conditions. I have run these front and back, but more recently with a maxxis ardent front and slant in the rear. I have run them with tubes and without tubes. Setting up tubeless was easy on Stan's Arch Ex Rims. Haven't had any problems running them between 24-26 PSI. For my trails in Northeast TN (rocky, rooty, hardpack, XC), this combo works in most conditions. When it's really wet or muddy, they don't work well but they weren't made for those kind of conditions anyway. That being said they do have descent grip in slightly damp conditions on roots and rocks. Probably not light enough to race, but they do roll fast in dry conditions. If you can find these on sale, they are an awesome value because of tread life and durability and the ability to run them in most conditions. I have put over 1000 miles on a tire with life still left. I did not find them any good at shedding mud as tires I have with other various maxxis tires. If they shed mud a bit better and were 100 grams lighter, I would give them 5 chilies.

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Submitted by pa rider a Cross Country Rider from mechanicsburg pa

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2011

Strengths:    Shed mud well and grips when dry trails. Didn't see any big improvements as rear tire but felt great as front tire.

Weaknesses:    sidewalls too thin. Ripped a 2" hole on tire in one rock garden area. only got about 5 rides on it.

Bottom Line:
Thought tire be great for rocks when dry out over summer. Saw no big difference as rear tire. Tried it as front tire and found it to be best on hard pack trails and rocks.

Took it on one hard ride up RCST trail epic network and rip a big hole in sidewall going right through tire. Found 3 to 4 inch slashes on other side wall. Too thin of protection on tire if you ride in rocks like pa (slate rocks).

Favorite Trail:   RCST raystown

Purchased At:   bikeman

Similar Products Used:   i ran 16 different tires this year to see which ones I liked. I ran all 29er tires for wtb, panaracer (rampage and cg), kenda (sb8,nev), maxxis (ignitor), geax (aka, gato), and bontrager 29-4.

Bike Setup:   hard tail salsa el marchi 29er

Submitted by Blue Sugar a Cross Country Rider from Sandy Hook, CT, Estados Unidos

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2011

Strengths:    Hooks up well, very supple yet sturdy, long wearing.

Weaknesses:    Can't think of any.

Bottom Line:
This is the best tire I've used so far. I got it out west and it performed very well in the dry dusty conditions out there, and it's also performed great in the moister conditions back east. I use it on the rear, 26-28 PSI. I run tubes and have had no problems with pinch flats. It hooks up very well in forward direction, cornering, and braking, it has very supple yet strong sidewalls that have really smoothed out the ride of my hardtail, and has been long wearing so far. Works well on wet rocks and roots, but not so great in mud(but no small knob tire works well in mud). Rolls fast too. Better than my Maxxis Ikon in every way.

This isn't the lightest or fastest rolling tire but it hooks up and lasts. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for an all conditions 29er XC tire.

Favorite Trail:   Where's Waldo

Purchased At:   Acme Bicycles Rapid

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Fast Trak, Maxxis Ikon, WTB Weirwolf LT, WTD Exiwolf

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er.

Submitted by m4j2t a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2011

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance, Cornering grip

Weaknesses:    weight, very poor traction in sand

Bottom Line:
These are fast and tough tires. and they corner, climb and hook up great in everything but sand. I've ridden them @ Centenial Cone, Golden Gate Canyon, Pine Bluffs, Walker Ranch, and Hilebrand Ranch; all on the front range of CO. They hook up great until you get them into sand; then they have a mind of their own. I find them completely unpredictable and unnerving (Especially the front). They seem to like higher pressures (Especially in sandy sections) than my other sets of TLR tires. It's a bummer because these tires are great otherwise, but the faster I hit the sandy sections the more squirmy they are. The same goes for lowering the pressure (especially in sand, but in general they hook up better at slightly higher pressures for me)

Favorite Trail:   fast ones

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   Geax AKA, Maxxis Ikon, Kenda Small Block 8, Bontragger XR1,

Bike Setup:   2010 GF Superfly 100, Motobecane Fly Team Ti 29er

Submitted by HatePavement a Racer from MO

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2011

Strengths:    Great grip in corners, loose gravel climbs, packed dirt. Smooth rolling, light weight.

Weaknesses:    Kenda does not warranty sealant use.

Bottom Line:
I have mine set up tubeless with Stan's. Great all around and light tire. Haven't had any flats yet, sidewalls are tough but flexible. My adventure race team has been using them all year because we never know what conditions we will face in a race...pavement, gravel, mud, rock, dirt etc.

To see full review go here:

Favorite Trail:   Berryman