IRC Notos XC 29er Tire

3.75/5 (8 Reviews)
Weight : 530 grams

Low rolling resistance doesn't do much good if you wash out in every corner. So we designed the Notos XC to be fully lugged for maximum traction, but we shortened the knob height so it remained blazing fast. The result is a feathery XC racing tire perfect for any type of cross country course. Features our exceptionally strong yet amazingly light casing, the PRF (read: no DNF) System, and Hybrid Tread Compound.

Submitted by johnnyb a Cross Country Rider from Fairfax, CA

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2011

Strengths:    Fairly lightweight. Thoughtful lug pattern

Weaknesses:    Washes out in dry conditions.

Bottom Line:
I would stay away from this tire for dry conditions. I learned the hard way why this tire is only 20 bucks.

When riding singlespeed, it loses traction at the most important moments like climbing steeps and pedaling out of corners. If you value your jewels, don't use this tire.

That said, I found it to be fairly usable in muddy/rainy conditions because of the spacing in the tread pattern. Wider than a Exiwolf and sheds the mud quickly.

Favorite Trail:   Tamarancho

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Most WTB and Kenda tires

Bike Setup:   Rigid single speed Karate Monkey.

Submitted by keks a Weekend Warrior from Germany

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2011

Strengths:    light tire, foldable, good grip on dry ground and on grass, low rolling resistance offroad

Weaknesses:    high rolling resistance on street (ok, it's no street-tire), the self-cleaning isn't the best, I think, so it becomes lightly slippy after some mud

Bottom Line:
It's a really cheap tire for a twentyniner. The price of the XC can't be exeeded in this size.
The performance is okay. I don't ride as much, that's why, this tire convinced me.

Favorite Trail:   Forest trails, smaller jumps

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe Smart Sam

Submitted by Z a Racer from wild west

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2008

Strengths:    Light, Wire bead for stans conversion. Good traction and good volume for a 2.1...also fast with the ramped center knobs.

Weaknesses:    Weak sidewalls, I've had two pretty good tears in both front and back...nothing an old tube and some gorilla glue couldn't fix. May not be the best for a Stan's conversion based on my luck. Stan's is good but it can't fix a 1/2" hole.

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up review after 1 year of use. Due to the side wall problems I doubt I could effectively run Stans tubeless. I do however run stans in tubes and it works pretty well here in cactus/goathead country...The sidewalls were weaker than expected...the the final caveat is I'm 6'3" 200lbs and I thrash my stuff. I actually really love riding the tire, I just wish the sidewalls would have stood up longer. Great cheap tire...low durability

Favorite Trail:   the long one

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Exiwolfs, Bontrager 29ers

Bike Setup:   Salsa Dos Niner 1x9...GaryFisher Rig Rigid singlespeed...
Voodoo Dambala Rigid 69er singlespeed frankenbike...other cushier bikes

Submitted by Kel a Weekend Warrior from Reno

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2008

Strengths:    Fast rolling tire. Grips on damp surface. Can run fast even on pavement. The round design makes fast cornering easier.

Weaknesses:    Skids on loose gravel/rock. I got the version with gray sidewalls so it looked like an old school tire.

Bottom Line:
I have been using this tire for approximately 7 months. I tried it first on my 29er rigid SS and it handled well but had the lack of cushion for a 2.1 tire. It's better using tires wider that 2.2 for rigids. This is a good tire if you run in not so technical terrain. I actually like this tire but had to switch to more grippy Rampages. I just wish they had a wide and kevlar version of this tire. I would recommend this tire for those looking for an affordable yet good performing tire(s).

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Rampage

Bike Setup:   Custom Haro Mary XC, Custom Jamis Dakar XLT 3.0, Ironhorse hardtail.

Submitted by EPO a Racer from K'zoo, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2007

Strengths:    Great Sticky/Clay mud performance. Fast roller concidering knob height.

Weaknesses:    Looose over hard/dry Pea Gravel cornering. Deep Sand tracking(a weakness of most tires less than 2.2)

Bottom Line:
I ran these on my bikes since 2001, back in my 26er days.
They get lighting fast as they get normal center wear, I modified the center section to make slicks, very fast. In the unmodified state they are very progressive at cornering adhesion limits, with outside knobs stiff enough to bite in. If you angle the bike in for a course correction these tires respond. Watch out for these on twisty dry gravel trails, the knobs are not tall enough to punch through 3/8" gravel. If you ride in loamy/wet conditions this tire is hard to beat for racing. Sheds mud very well & will not disappoint you on muddy up hills. Better than average on wet rocks. I believe trek factory team used this tread in mud in '00-'05.

In general stay away from this tire if you run dry twisty gravel trails or dry fire roads, otherwise this tire shines.

Similar Products Used:   Folding AcX(modified;), Folding XR(F& R), Wire bead Nanos, MotoRaptors with studs.

Bike Setup:   292, 1X9, 80mm Reba, sweaty human nomally on top.

Submitted by Bruce Brown a Cross Country Rider from Des Moines

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2007

Strengths:    A pretty decent all around buff trail tire. Not really a strength, but this is the kind of tire that doesn't really do anything outstanding. Just average.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't do well at high speeds and gets squirmy too soon when pushed.

Bottom Line:
I've used this tire and tried to make it work as well as some of my other tires. However, in the similar type of tire category, I much prefer the performance and ride characteristics of the ACX's, Nanoraptors and XR's. If one was looking for an all around average tire and is not concerned about holding speed and pushing through corners - this tire will be fine.

Similar Products Used:   ACX

Bike Setup:   Sugar, Dos, KM

Submitted by Z a Racer from Black Hills, SD

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2007

Strengths:    Relatively Light weight for a 29er and Wire Bead. Ramped knobs. Good traction. Wire bead is a must for Stan's tubeless conversion

Weaknesses:    So far so good

Bottom Line:
Like the previous reviewer I was very impressed with this tire. It's fast rolling, has good cornering knobs, good climbing traction. It's only 2.1 but it handles better than my 2.5's on my hucker bike. I don't know if it is the 29er wheel or the tire but I have had better traction with this tire than any of my 26er tire experiences. No kidding, I was blown away. Cornering was awesome! IRC tires are way under-rated!

Favorite Trail:   Skyline

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   26er Tires of all sizes and makes. This is my first 29er tire besides my cross' tires.

Bike Setup:   Voodoo Dambala Rigid SS w/ Kona P2 fork, American Classic hubs / Bontrager Mustang rims, and a little bling bling

Submitted by grawbass a Cross Country Rider from Detroit, MI, America

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2006

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance, good traction, good mud evacuation.

Weaknesses:    None found so far.

Bottom Line:
This tire performed way above my expectaions. It doesn't seem like much just from looking at it, but don't let the look fool you. This tire just works. Climbing and braking traction are quite good. Cornering grip is very close to that on an Ignitor and just as predictable. Rolling resistance seems as low as an Ignitor or Jones XR. Decent mud performance, clears very well, but the knobs could be taller for mud. Overall very good all-rounder.

Favorite Trail:   Yankee Springs

Similar Products Used:   Just about every 26" tire known to man and most XC oriented 29er tires.

Bike Setup:   Rigid steel. 1x8. BB7s.

Quick Poll 29er Rubber - Rampage, WTB EXI or Notos XC

Need to order some 29er tires today and thought the WTB Exiwolf 2.3s were it, but the reviews seem to disagree. Building up a 3x9 Soma Juice with a MX Comp bomber for riding in the rooty, rocky, sandy & muddy north east singletrack (NJ). Debating between the WTB Exiwolf Race 2.3 (620 gr) , Pana ... Read More »

IRC Notos XC Tire

Anyone ever use this for racing in desert type conditions?Read More »

Jones ACX vs. IRC Notos XC

So, I was either really tired after my race on Sunday or those Jones do not roll as fast as the Notos. I was racing my usual Tuesday night "Fun Series" with a brand new set of Jones ACX on my Monkey and was getting passed by people who shouldn't have been passing me so easily. Was it just me? I doub ... Read More »