Interloc Fire XC Pro 29er Tire

4.91/5 (11 Reviews)
Weight : 715 grams MSRP : $47.99

Interloc Racing Design FireXC Pro 29er Tire: Modeled after the FireXCPro 26" tread. Multi-condition tread with supple feel with stiff sidewalls. Dual directional tread, flip the tread to run in the rear. Multi-stepped knobs and specially shaped side wall knobs...

Submitted by barnhorse

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2013

Strengths:    Strong side walls, great traction. Last forever.

Weaknesses:    Have to order online

Bottom Line:
I read the reviews on these tires a couple years ago and bought them based on that. I was not disappointed. Here in Southern New Mexico we have rocks and thorns. I have ripped out a couple Maxxis sidewalls before I figured out I needed something else. These are it. I am buying two more today.

Submitted by Espo61 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2013

Strengths:    Grippy, Hold up very well near bullet proof, not very costly either. These are not for weight whipits.

Weaknesses:    Have not found any yet.... rolling a MTB tire.... it is what it is folks.

Bottom Line:
Old guys remember.... like the last post, I'm old in years and was playin in the dirt in the 1970's prior to MTB bikes rollin around the hills.....I to have these circles on my jet9 xl...3-by set set up. Goat Bikes will love these balloone' skins... they do well on everything I've rolled over... mud, packed dirt rocks and brush. The tread life is the best I've had - these are all that I will ride and why not - they work and help you become a better rider.... they do trust me. Mount up a pair if you can find em'... (They're out there).

sidwalls are great. tread design can be split/cut if you dare - every other knob cross it over for even better control....do the front first then do the back... try it when your half a life away from new skins.....

Try a 96er set up if ya can find someone to build ya one (29 in the front and 26: in the back). wonderful handling in the mud and quick.

Log saddle time guys/gals = a better ridder. I see most folks ridding a set and then they move on to what their buddy just got. If ya go through 2-3 pair a season and change every time how the heck do ya dial em' in - really... Ride a couple sets of any tire and then come tell everyone....Racing is great but ya can't do that forever...I'm just sayin :)

Stay Vertical, Falls Happen. Pain Occurs.... ride on folks.... cheers.

Espo

Duration Product Used:   Always and forever....

Similar Products Used:   UMMMMM most all of em' over the years..... really I have more TW rubber then they do... LOL

Bike Setup:   niner jet9 xrt everything/trainy (except Avid CR grabbers), Stans Flow EX on x9 hubbies.... they work well at 6'3" 245.... they work wellamen!!!! .... 120mm (springee) Reba RL/lock out (custom) and the carbon everywhere else.....

Submitted by Timmy

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2012

Strengths:    These tires are nice.... the out grip anything I've tried.

Weaknesses:    Hard to find

Bottom Line:
Stuck these on my 29er Jet 9...it was like adding power steering to a great frame set-up. Rocks, hard pack and loads of mud.... these puppies are the best I've had... 35 years ago before there were really and Mountain bikes as we know them today when I started to ride = I have had them all mounted up... these are the best. A bit heavy but at 245lbs myself - they rock and roll kids. Buy the hype of the other big name tires and you help them ($$$) charge more. Buy these. Ride these. You'll see a huge difference in how you ride. Thanks Interloc for a great under the radar 29er that is a great tire..... I'm just sayin.

Submitted by vack a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2012

Strengths:    Best 29er Tire that no one has. Grips in all conditions so far

Weaknesses:    I can't seem to find many bike shops that have them....Thank God for Price Point.

Bottom Line:
So I loved my Fire XC Pro 26er's so much that every bike I've owned has had them. The first thing I did when I bought a 29er was go to Panaracer and see if they had them in 29er size. Sadly they did not, but a phone call to the company steered me to the IRD version. So I bought one, and mounted it up Tubeless on the rear. We all know that moment when you find something that just works in our biking lives. And riding the first single track on this tire confirmed it. Just like the 26ers, Confident is the term I'll use. Confident in cornering, in mud, over rocks, roots logs, climbs, braking descents, all that. I love this tire, everyone here runs Ignigtors or Racing Ralph's and that's fine, but they haven't waited on me to fix a flat or a torn sidewall yet. I'm a big guy 230lbs, and I run em at 35PSI all around and they are perfect for me. Maybe not as light as some tires, but, again, durability and confidence is what I look for. I don't have money to throw away on a new tire every other week.

Find a set, try them out, you will not be disappointed.

Favorite Trail:   Colorado Trail Durango

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevgals, Kenda Small Block 8's

Bike Setup:   Sette Razzo, King Hubs,

Submitted by paulrb02 a Cross Country Rider from Mobile, AL

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2011

Strengths:    Great all around tire. Best tire I've tired in sandy, loose conditions. Faster rolling than Nevegal, with the same amount of grip.

Weaknesses:    A little slow rolling

Bottom Line:
I loved the Panaracer Fire XC on my 26". I found out later that IRD bought the rights to make a 29" version. So these tires are the same as the Panaracer Fire XC, just a 29er version. They are the 60tpi model.

If you liked them on a 26" they will work just as well on the 29" Its a great all around tire. There is loads of loose terrain here on the gulf coast and I need a tire that can grip, and these work the best. I've been running these tubeless for about 6 months and they are doing just fine, and very little wear on the tire.

Favorite Trail:   UWF

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Igintor, Nevagal

Bike Setup:   Pivot 429 with Sram X0/XX build, and Stan's Flow wheels

Submitted by Hill-Pumper a Cross Country Rider from Willamitte Valley OR

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2011

Strengths:    Cheap,good grip, sheds mud well, fairly light for a knobby, runs great tubeless

Weaknesses:    Rolling resistance

Bottom Line:
I have used these tires on two different bikes and they worked great on both. They wear like iron and grip predictably. As listed above, they shed mud well, plus are light for a traction tire. With knobs you can't expect great rolling resistance, but I really only notice it on hard pack. Maybe the most amazing thing about them is how well these work when set up as tubeless. They lose only as few PSI over a weeks time. Which is much better then the Specialized tires that were rated as tubeless ready. Honestly a great tire for the money!

Favorite Trail:   To many to list

Purchased At:   BikeTiresDirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Fast Trak, Maxxis CrossMark

Bike Setup:   2011 Giant Anthem X2 29, Stan's Arch wheels with Chris King hubs. The rest is original.

Submitted by whtahtefcuk a Cross Country Rider from Flagstaff

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2010

Strengths:    light, grippy, cheap!

Weaknesses:    Running Tubeless... I have pinched flatted the front twice now (1/4 hole in the side)... have to run a tube up front.

Bottom Line:
I will buy more... for the back. Looking for a better front tire.

Favorite Trail:   Twisty ones

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Tioga Factory

Bike Setup:   Custom steel SS 29, 100MM Fox RLC 15 mm Axel. Stan's Crest Rims.

Submitted by gee7879 a Weekend Warrior from Eastern central ,OHIO

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2009

Strengths:    Rolls good, grips good, sheds debris awesome (can feel the chunks of debris hitting my calfs)

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
Love these tires, I run 32psi front and 28psi rear, no pinches yet climbs good, rolls faster than my previous tires

Favorite Trail:   Dillon & Mcgraw park

Purchased At:   Unreal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   WTB moto raptor

Bike Setup:   Fisher Sugar 292.

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2009

Strengths:    Good grip, steering contral

Bottom Line:
Has those great Fire XC pro nobs, although fewer of them, so less grip but sheds mud better.

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Hood River, Oregon

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2008

Strengths:    Good performance, good weight, good price.

Weaknesses:    None noted.

Bottom Line:
Without a doubt this is the best do it all 29er tire I have in my quiver. Others roll faster (SB8, etc.), and others have better traction (Stout, Rampage), but no other tire provides as broad a range as these. If I'm bringing one set of tires on a road trip of mixed rides, these are the ones.

Bike Setup:   Sultan with mostly xt and Reba fork.

Submitted by Bruce Brown a Cross Country Rider from Des Moines

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2007

Strengths:    A favorite 26" tire now available in the 29" format. Bicycling Magazine's 2004 "Editors' Choice" in the 26" version and the 29" version received a 5 star rating from Mountain Bike Action magazine. Okay, that's fine - how do they roll?

They roll fast, yet provide superior traction due to the aggressive knobs. Hands down, this is a great front tire. And you can run the tread forward or rearward on the rear wheel depending on your needs. Rearward for more bite and climbing traction, or forward for faster rolling (with minimal - if any - loss in traction). This is a pretty good volume tire with the tread measuring 55mm in width making it a 2.2 rather than the claimed 2.1 tire. My pair weigh 708 grams and 720 grams. The knobs and beefy sidewalls are where the weight is when compared to other XC tires in the 500 - 650 gram range.

Excellent tire to use for a tubeless conversion. The sidewalls have enough meat that when running lower psi's you don't get the dreaded squirm like other converted tires. This tire is aggressive enough for riding severe terrain. I used the 26" version for two years, but this 29"er version seems more aggressive and beefier to me. Best tire I've run on my big wheeled bikes in the past 4 years. I've even raced it twice in XC races, but think it's real niche is as an all around XC tire that will put a lot of smiles on faces.

It comes in your choice of black wall or red wall.

Bottom Line:
Mountain Bikers have another winner on their hands here with this tire being available in the 29"er size. Check the reviews on the 26"er size. I ran that tire for two years and loved it. Now I'm in love again with the 29"er version. Cornering is sure footed, climbing provides traction to spare, rolls fast for a tire with such aggressive tread and is top of the heap in all around performance. I've had these tires out and about on buff XC, roots, rocks, grass, gravel, sand, pavement, mud, creek crossings, over train tracks, wooden bridges, logs, etc...and they have not disappointed.

Although they have been available since spring of 2007, I think they are still under the radar and not widely used yet. I have to agree with the MBA 5 Star Rating. You wont' be disappointed in this tire if you give it a try.

Purchased At:   Bikeman.com