Halo Twin Rail 29er Tire

3.8/5 (5 Reviews)

• Directional, universal front or rear tread
  • Knurled ground contact points
  • High quality skinwall carcass
  • Built-in Puncture Protection System

Submitted by bg a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2015

Strengths:    fast rolling & quiet on pavement, lots of volume/cushion for a semi-slick, predictable & controllable drifting behavior, skinwall looks sweeeeeet

Weaknesses:    expensive, heavy (almost 900g ea!), limited in off-road applications, PUNCTURES EASILY for its weight, doesn't take well to tubeless (though Halo makes no such claim, to be fair)

Bottom Line:
Before I begin, I should note I have the Twin Rail II 2.2" 29er tire with kevlar bead.

I've put about 1000mi on these so far, commuting on pavement, hitting various PA trails, and on a recent 350mi multi-surface (pavement, gravel, dirt, mud) tour. They're straight beach-cruiser luxurious--if a little slow to spool up--on pavement. They can be pretty fun on dry trails with the pressure in the lower 30s, letting you drift through turns easily--though hit a wet rock, and things can get pretty white-knuckle pretty fast.

I bought these, however, specifically for a mixed terrain 350mi bikepacking trip. My thinking: big comfy volume? Check. Flat protection? Check. Mixed terrain use? Check. I was grateful for the volume on the nasty parts. However, I suffered no less than three flats on that five-day tour, whilst my buddy in much skinnier tires of a trusted name suffered none. The cause of each one? A particularly pointy piece of gravel. Not even the dignity of a nail, staple, thorn, or shard of glass. Can't much avoid gravel on a gravel road, and that was all it took. Big disappointment in the end. I get fewer flats (as in, none so far) in my much thinner, much lighter Maxxis Ikons.

These will be shelved for the foreseeable future. I'ma check out the Bruce Gordon Rock N Roads or the Soma Cazaderos for similar future trips.

Submitted by IntheBush a Cross Country Rider from Charlotte

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2010

Strengths:    Great all around, rugged tire. Fast rolling, low drag, very good road performance, good hard pack traction off road, puncture protection, good wear.

Weaknesses:    Less than ideal traction off-road in wet, muddy or loose conditions. But will do if care is exercised.

Bottom Line:
Just a very good cross tire, with excellent road characteristics that also excels off road within reason.

Similar Products Used:   Many different tires over the years.

Bike Setup:   29er SS rigid

Submitted by melee757 a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2010

Strengths:    Fast rolling, quiet, grippy on pavement

Weaknesses:    Probably not the best on wet or muddy trail conditions

Bottom Line:
I couldn't afford the Fireman's Texas Cruzer 29er that I wanted, so I converted my SE Racing Stout into a big boy BMX. I mainly ride in an urban setting with an occasional hike & bike trail thrown in the mix. These Halo Twin Rails have been exactly what I've been looking for to take me back to my teenage BMX days ripping around the neighborhood, wall riding drainage ditches, hopping curbs, etc... They're super smooth rolling on the street, have plenty of volume to absorb what I'm throwing at them, and corner fantastic. I'd recommend these to anyone looking for a great commuter tire or want the perfect tread for their urban assault ride.

Favorite Trail:   Barton Creek Greenbelt

Purchased At:   outsideoutfitters.co

Similar Products Used:   WTB Nano Raptor, Primo Dirt Monster, Geax Easy Rider, Odyssey Path

Bike Setup:   SE Racing Stout - rigid, single speed, BMX cruiser bars

Submitted by jkendall a Cross Country Rider from Iowa

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2009

Strengths:    Fast rolling tire, great for cruising the streets and bike trails. It does ok on dirt but stay clear of mud!

Weaknesses:    For what I need it has none.

Bottom Line:
Great tire with built in tire protection!

Favorite Trail:   Dirt

Purchased At:   Tree Fork Bikes

Bike Setup:   Vassago Jabberwocky SS rigid.

Submitted by Tony a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2008

Strengths:    Durable and easy to mount, low rolling resistance, surprisingly good traction in dry, dusty conditions

Weaknesses:    no good in gravel or mud

Bottom Line:
These are a great urban tire as well as a good bike-path and dirt trail tire. I've ridden these on slickrock in Moab and they worked great there as well. The twin rail does its job of contributing to low rolling resistance while still providing some directional stability. On the back, if you keep the pressure lowish, the waffle tread will still dig in enough to provide good traction.

Purchased At:   Universal